Chrome Question

Guest sconnors

Guest sconnors

Hi guys

Have a couple questions about chrome. I tried to get some prices to get my bumpers, grille, etc re-chromed. Asked a few folks on here and got some input as well as doing some research online. Called a couple of places and they told me to send them pictures which I did for a quote. Herein lies the catch and the question. NO ONE has had the courtesy to even respond to my email after specifically instructing me to email them pictures!

My question are this. Are these chrome shops doing so well in this supposed horrible economy that they can ignore potential customers? Has anyone had any business dealings with Bumper Boyz http://www.bumperboyz.com/main.htm in California and are they reputable? I'm figuring that the cost of chroming the front, rear bumpers, grille, etc is going to run me around $3000 ball park. I am way off?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone knows any good chromers in the Albany NY, Western Mass area please let me know.

Thanks

Scott

Guest 4 bufords

lou (last1987gn)used sandysbumpermart in syracuse,ny for his queen mary.might see him on me and my buicks look under wildcat gets new fur 4 bufords from ct

Scott,

Good quality work at D & J in Holyoke, MA, but expect to pay for work. I guess about a 1 1/2 hour run for you to take the parts for a firm quote, but I would call ahead for a time frame and cost idea.

And yes, I think the quality shops are still doing well, and some marginal operations may have ceased operations, making the existing ones quite busy.

John

I read on another form that Bumper Boyz no longer does their own chrome work but sends it out to Mexico. Take it for what it's worth.

That may be a good reason to reconsider them. The best plating on any of my 3 sets of bumpers was done in Mexico. They were picked at a local body shop and returned in 10 days nearly perfect (truck bumpers is the usual project). Of course plating in Mexico just like here is not all equal...

Willie

That may be a good reason to reconsider them. The best plating on any of my 3 sets of bumpers was done in Mexico. They were picked at a local body shop and returned in 10 days nearly perfect (truck bumpers is the usual project). Of course plating in Mexico just like here is not all equal...

Willie

Another reason might be that they are a big enough outfit they attend many of the events across the country. They also do enough business that it seems they have many of the items we want already finished and on the shelf unless it is something rare. I was considering calling them to see if they would bring some finished items to one of the shows near me. If they are a reputable business they shouldn't have a problem doing that and I can just exchange my cores for the finished items right there and then. If their quality isn't up to snuff then I just walk away.

If they are not comfortable with this arrangement then I would say they are not confident in their product and not someone you would want to do business with.

Just my 2 cents,

Rich

Scott, you don't mention what car you've got but I can get two '36 bumpers w/guards and '36 grille beautifully plated here in Houston for $1060. I've had a lot of chrome work done here this year and this guy says that business is as slow now as he has ever seen it. I take my parts to him and he looks them over, looks me over, and then writes out a cost estimate. I pay 50% upfront and 50% at pick up. I really can't imagine chrome work getting much better than this - it looks like a mirror.

I'm guessing that you do not get a response because they know you're shopping and they can't compete with the lowest cost provider. I suppose they ought to tell you that upfront instead of letting you go through the inconvenience of sending them pics through email.

I'm guessing your best deal will be to show up in person with cash and ask for their best deal and have more than just one place line up to visit.

Edited by JoelsBuicks
spelling (see edit history)

Guest sconnors

I have a 1950 Buick Special, pictures are in my profile. There's a lot of chrome on her trust me, but I'm not hearing good things about Bumper Boyz so I guess I'll keep looking locally.

Shopping locally saves shipping costs, which have to be built in. As well, if something goes wrong, they know that a local is more likely to be able to raise a ruckus, potentially costing them more business.

Personally, I try to deal locally first before looking at a distance. Of course part of that is issues involved with shipping over the border - Canada Customs wants to collect their taxes and don't do as well with me already having the parts and having services performed.