75th...SURPRISED A BIT SO HERE IS THE CHALLENGE

I am a little surprised that there are not more posts about the experience of the 75th show in Louisville. Over 100 new participants at a national show and 75 years of history in front of everyone. What did you think of the timeline exhibit? Any historical memories triggered by the show? 18 or so former AACA National Presidents in attendance! What about all the folks dressed in period clothing? Some very spectacular cars...what caught your interest? The NY to Paris presentation...how did you like it? Come on folks, the chat is OK but this event was 3 years in the making...let's have some serious car talk here!

Guest billybird

Steve: To be honest with you, I was so blown away by the whole thing that I'm speechless! However, when my mind stops frying from all the processing of sights I took in last week I will post something!

Steve, I think that it was a wonderful event. I have seen a few posts on the forum from people who are new to the forum and who participated in the event. As difficult as it is for me to understand, only a small percentage of the general membership of AACA seems to be interested in the Discussion Forum.

I very seldom post photos in the photo gallery. It seems that I never manage to get around to posting photos. Now that I am retired, perhaps I will find the time to do so on a more regular basis. I just uploaded a few photos of the Dixie Flyer and plan to upload more.

I loved the timeline. I took a photo of each car and plan to upload them soon.

The banquet was great. I was amazed that they were able to serve such a large group as well as they did.

The NY to Paris was a great presentation. I will have to admit that it was a little bit long for a presentation that late in the evening, but I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed meeting a few more Discussion Forum folks for the first time in Lousiville. It was nice seeing old friends. It was great to be able to judge in an air conditioned venue. That was one great place for a show! I did not have enough time to do all of the tours, but enjoyed the places that I did tour to.

I skipped to boat tour, but heard very nice comments from friends who went on it.

I had to leave at the end of the show to drive straight back home (11 hours) because of other commitments for July 4th.

The medallion and license plate are mighty nice keepsakes. I plan to buy the book soon.

My only fear is that folks who decided to go to this event who had not ever attended a National Event will be disappointed at future events. This will be a might difficult act to follow!

Steve and all,

I would like to echo Matt's comments about the show, the license plate, dinner etc. but I would like to offer a different view as well, regarding the choice of Louisville for this great event.

When my wife and I travel to these shows we really like to take in the local offerings as well as the formal events. The trip plans for Louisville were not any different but what we found really highlighted the whole experience. For instance, as we toured around historical Louisville and the downtown we stopped to have lunch at the Brown Hotel. Of course we had to sample both their renown Hot Brown sandwich and the Derby Pie. According to my wife, that experience was worth the ride to get to Louisville. We also strolled through Bardstown and found the people there very gracious and thankful for the AACA coming to Kentucky for the event.

Early Saturday morning while I and several other club members were setting up our cars in the show, my wife and a few others went to a glass blowing show downtown and created their own Christmas ornaments in blown glass. Something tells me my wife will want to put up the tree anytime now! The city had so much to offer it truly complimented the event. These were just a few side trips we did and some of the local experiences that we had that made this event second to none.

The AACA, all of the local club members and volunteers once again need to be commended for their effort. I realize many gave up their personal lives for many, many months to pull this off. The bar has been set for not just the future national events but for the 100th!

We had a great time and thanks again to all that put it together.

I've been to Hershey about 15 times. This car show tops any Hershey show I've been to. I think one reason was that it wasn't ridiculously crowded. You could get pictures of a car if you wanted to. This was probably the best AACA show ever. I think being centrally located helped to. It was a two day or less drive from anywhere except the West Coast. Talking about 1st time folks - the guy with the red 1925 Stutz roadster in the timeline - that car had been in his family since about 1951 and this was his first AACA meet with it. Talk about a great way to start out!

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

Steve,

I was a 15 year old kid wandering around thefields during the 50th anniversary shows in '85, while my dad was leading apprentice judging teams around the field. On one of those teams that year, a rookie judge by the name of Al Terrek(Sp?). last week, a college degree two kids and pretty full life later I returned to a National meet. Since judging had been such a strong part of the hobby for my family, I decided to join the apprentice squad led by the same Al Terrek. Both of my brothers also took part in the process and, excluding the common sibling shouting/stomping matches, We had an incredible week. FOur vehicles on the field from North Alabama, the two bikes last hit the field in '91 and received their preservation Awards (numbers 9 and 16). Both cars recieved their DPC certification, since they are our tour cars and the cars we have spent more time in and on, taking them to their first show was a real honor. The Steamboat cruise was phenomenal - I got to the engine room before anyone else found it and received an incredible private tour. Loved the drive to Bardstown - made wish we had brought a brass car just for the lovely drive. Bought some Maker's Mark Mint Julep - now only sold in KY - at the distillery - Yummmm!! While washing the 34 Chevy, West Peterson came over and asked to feature our Betsy in Antique Automobile so after the world's fastest wash and detail we were off to the Dixie Flyer factory for Photos. All trailering, the 34 and two bikes in a 28' box trailer, went perfectly. All vehicles received their awards. All 7 family members, mom, two brothers, two sons and a nephew all returned home relatively unscathed and all with a newfound appreciation for the cars, people and club that has meant so much to our family for more than 30 years ( I was 11 when Dad hosted the 1981 Spring Southeastern National in Huntsville). I couldn't write a car owner fairy tale that had a better re-beginning than our experiences in Louisville. A tip of the hand me down Tilley hat to all involved. I could feel my father smiling down on us the whole week and it will continue to be one of the most precious memories for me to have gotten to take part in that meet. Thank you Steve, Al, West, Peter Garripey, Dave Bowman, Scott Deno ( who gave me a ride in his '16 Caddy after watching him fix the carb), all those yellow name tag wearing guys and gals and every single person at that show for making it what it was. The only thing we're still grumbling about is when that &%#$(^%# in the Rolls cut in front of my 15 year old riding a 50 year old moped to get in the show and darn near wrecked the bike, monetary value does not equate with moral value I guess, but if that's the worst I could come up with - a great meet!!! Thank you all again. See you at Blacksburg. - Sam

post-59076-143138247925_thumb.jpg

Edited by R W Burgess
Just had to add the Barnett Family pic-Wayne (see edit history)

For me the NY to Paris presentation was the high point. I felt really connected to 1908. Any chance that presentation will be given at the Wednesday Night at the Museum event during Hershey week? Would love for my Son to experience it. Also received my pin for 75 judging credits at the 75th. That was nice.

18 or so former AACA National Presidents in attendance!

Of the 30 surviving past presidents, here are 20 that made it over to the photo shoot. I know of at least two in attendance that didn't make it.

1st row: Bill Smith,Earl Beauchamp, Tom Howard, John Myer, Doc Stratton,Pinky Randall, Sharon Lee, Art Bragg, David Strong, Sam High, Ed Baines.

2nd row: Roy Graden, Harold Coker, Dick Taylor, Lloyd Riggs, Jim Raines, Dave Zimmerman, Jerry Hodge, Joe Vicini and Mike Jones.

Not pictured: Bo Croley and Jack Macy

post-33613-1431382479_thumb.jpg

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

I posted something earlier when we first returned home and need to add again because I'm still excited about the success of our celebration in Louisville. I know everyone who had anything at all to do with this event put their heart and soul into it for years and that kind of enthusiasm and energy sure showed as the week unfolded. The thrill of it all for Susan and I was the members attending and how happy they were to be a part of the excitement. We made many new friends and filled our hearts and cameras with wonderful memories.

Our trip to Louisville was of course a Tidewater Region tour starting the Sunday prior - The Saltwater to Firewater Tour. We began with a lunch stop at historic Michie Tavern near Charlottesville Va and ended up with a Distillery tour in Ky. Along the way we got a wonderful reception at Huntington WVa with all the AACA members there. We saw the famous "bunker" under Greenbrier resort, toured a glass factory and visited "Lying Lee's Used Cars" where we drooled over some interesting machinery for sale. In Louisville we managed to squeeze in a couple of tours, the ice cream social and parade and the boat ride - wow, great food and a good time!

I think of all the things we were able to include, the banquet was one of the most fantastic you could imagine. I still can't get over the fact that there were over 900 people there-just because they wanted to be! There were no trophies to pass out, just a great dinner, fantastic fellowship and a few speeches celebrating our Anniversary. For me it was a highlight to have Pinky Randall there sitting with us at the head table. Pinky was president during our 50th Anniversary and we're both planning to be there for the 100th!

The car show has already been referred to as the Ultimate Showroom but it held the most fabulous selection of vehicles I've ever seen!

This was indeed a historic occasion for AACA and I believe that with the kind of excitement shown in Louisville, we're on a roll. The next 75 years is looking pretty good and I can't wait to be part of the fun. See you in Blacksburg!

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

What did you think of the timeline exhibit?
I enjoyed it.
What about all the folks dressed in period clothing?
That poor lady sitting on the curved dash Olds looked like she got abandoned at the altar and was trying to figure out a way to drive the car home on her own.
The NY to Paris presentation...how did you like it?
Awesome event, but it would've been better to know who this guy was and what he was doing. I initially thought that he was a 'pushy' rent-a-cop. I almost ruined your program.:eek::eek:
Come on folks, the chat is OK but this event was 3 years in the making...let's have some serious car talk here!
I know all about taking three years to plan an event. I'm sure that it has to be a huge relief for them now, but also a feeling of emptiness because the challenge is gone.

It was a good event. There could've been more signs. The flag pole used during the national anthem wasn't HPOF certified, and lacked the birds flying over during the high notes of the anthem.

Otherwise it was good. I enjoyed an indoor meet. The fumes, noise and temperatures were very surprising. I thought those conditions would make it rough, but it wasn't a problem at all. The lighting made the cars look great.

I was able to make several people in the roundtable discussion laugh out loud at the expense of a certain person, and I had David Devine on the verge of totally losing it during the NY to Paris program. I had a lot of people talk to me about our meet in Canandaigua, and finally got to unwind at a meet for the first time in a couple of years.

The cruise was awesome. I did some touring with the Hinson's, and gave him some military history at the Patton Museum. Almost every place I went, Susan Bond was there. While we were on our way from the Louisville Slugger factory and going to Churchille Downs, GPS took us through the projects of Louisville and down a one way street the wrong way. Of course once when one of the locals told us we were going the wrong way, we got back to where we started from and realized that there was no sign (must've been stolen). On Thursday my mom got a little miffed when my dad and I insisted that we had to have Kentucky Fried Chicken for lunch (because we were in Kentucky).

Good cars, good laughts, good facility, great activities, good friends, what else can be said??

I don't think I'd go back to Louisville because of the distance, but if a Grand National went back in the same building, we wouldn't bat an eye.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)

..... Along the way we got a wonderful reception at Huntington WVa with all the AACA members there. We saw the famous "bunker" under Greenbrier resort, ..... Terry

You were a short hop from where we live and my mom was from Huntington. An additional bit of trivia, one of her older brothers, Sam, was one of the design engineers with C&O Railroad that helped to design that bunker. Mom knew about it for years but never talked about it until the story came out in the news.