My next project? 1921 Packard Coupe.

Guest donald ellis

Hi Bernie!

Given my computer semi-literacy (and still my total inability to send pictures to this site) I will have to satisfy myself with at least words. Only today was I able to see the whole thread My next project. It has taken me almost as long to puzzle this out as it took you to restore the Packard. The Finknottle-Wooster exchanges were not entirely lost because I saw a message from me way up the line. You have done a wonderful job restoring the Packard. Had I been able to follow along I might have lent a hand. As it is, it looks as though you are almost finished. Ben in Maine has some Watson Stabilizers on offer. Can you give me a quick course in their installation? Is this a case of one fits all? #658 in this thread pictures "Snubbers" Is that a generic term which includes Watson Stabilizers?

Hello Donald

Unfortunately my car has Gabrielle snubbers which are quite different to the Watson Stabilizers, I have a friend, Anthony Bryant in the UK who seems to know about Watson's

I will send him an e-mail and see if he can assist, otherwise perhaps either Ben or David McC may be able to help you. That is what this forum is so good at. I will cc my e-mail to you so you can contact him direct.

Regards

Bernie J.

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Hi All

This afternoon I collected the front apron and a couple of small parts from Dave. Due to a misunderstanding there is still a little bit to do on the valances. I should collect the rear fenders tomorrow. Hope to have some photographs then.

Don't go away....

Bernie J

After a busy morning running all over town it seems I have managed to do a trial fit-up of the first of the fenders. The LH Rear.

I still need to adjust the welting and tighten up the mounting bolts. But at least I have the one on the way and the others in the pipeline.

Sorry about all the reflections. I will try for some better photographs tomorrow.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138872714_thumb.jpg

Guest donald ellis

Hello Bernie et al. When I bought my Packard in its semi-finished state the man who sold it said that my car was bought somewhere up the line by a person who only wanted one part of it for the restoration of another Packard Single Six and that was a flexable pipe which went from the intake of the carburettor to a position just behind the radiator. Do you know if Packard sanctioned or supplied any type of air cleaner at that early date? It would be nice to have something to filter out the larger sticks and stones before inducton Donald

Hi Donald

My car certainly does not seem to have been fitted with any sort of air filter. I blame the lack of dust collection for the extremely high cylinder bore wear when the rest of the car showed very little wear where you could expect it. Spring shackle pins and brake clevis pins for example.

Perhaps David McC can tell us if his Single Six was equipped with any sort of air-filter.

I know he is away for two or three weeks driving his two cylinder Maxwell across Australia. Quite an undertaking. I don't know if it is equipped with Blue-tooth or if he will be looking at a lap-top while he is away. Perhaps some of the other early car owners can tell us?

Bernie J.

Next step, if you will excuse the pun, is to buy the Brown Linoleum for the running boards and the drivers floor. I have located a source of the plain brown linoleum used on laboratory bench tops, which I think will be suitable. Then I will have to find some aluminium unequal, 1 X 1/2 inch, angle for the edges. I have some of the original for the drivers floor but not sufficient for the section over the battery box so this one, 3/4 x 1/4 inch, may prove more of a problem to source. Do any of the Aussies watching this have a suggestion? Other than milling down some of the larger stock.

Bernie J.

Hi Tony

I have just come back from Bayswater, Action Aluminium in Canterbury Road were able to supply both the un-equal angles that I was looking for. Their price seems way better than anything I have paid Capral previously. AND they cut it up to the required lengths at no extra charge.

The Lino comes from Duraloid in Highett. Look on the Forbo linoleum website. It is called "desk top" but is actually designed for Laboratory bench tops. With the use our cars get these days, it should last a lifetime. They have a range of solid colours and will post samples FOC.

I do like your choice of cars.

Bernie J.

Not a lot to tell you so far today however I thought that those interested in these things may like to see the match up of the running board linoleum and the body colour.

I should be able to make a start on cutting out and attaching the linoleum to the running boards this afternoon. I have some housekeeping chores to do this morning

Bernie J

post-51681-143138875746_thumb.jpg

Hi-y'all

Another Saturday morning and another week past. Where do they all go. Yesterday afternoon I cut out the running board shapes and they are currently rolled back to front to remove the natural tendency for the linoleum to roll back as formed on the original roll. Next step is to give the top surface of the running boards a light sand to create a key for the adhesive.

More later.

Bernie J.

While cutting the linoleum for the running boards I decided that I should cut out that for the front floor boards at the same time. While I still have to stick down the running boards I have done the floorboards and now have decided that I should complete cutting the aluminium edging and finish them first. I have ordered 100 slotted head counter sunk nickel plated screws to complete the job.

Bernie J.

Just a quick one and further to the above; the front floor has now had its first trial fit. There is still some "adjustment" required around the gear-lever boss.

This is a remarkably tight fit! Even the original factory floor boards were "relieved" over the heads of the bolts holding the lid of the gearbox. As I have commented before "Just one step at a time".....

The nickel rim around the gear-lever opening and the aluminium finger "lift" in the section over the battery box are from the remains of the original floor.

Bernie J

post-51681-143138878505_thumb.jpg

Hi Pat

At present my thinking is the same treatment using the brown Linoleun with the aluminium edging, The alternative is the brown carpet that will cover the rest of the floor, with the edges bound with leather. This second option is attractive as the floor surface does not have to be perfect (requiring some wood filling) as is necessary for the linoleum. Remember the bulk of the wood in the car is 90 years old.

I guess that we will both have to wait and see. The running boards logically are the next step.

Bernie J.

Hi Pat

Going back to your comment about your friends Hudson cast aluminium foot board. I am lucky the one in the Packard is the original. It is one of the many things that show absolutely no signs of wear.

Ed

I will let you into a secret. My posts on this site are all part of my self motivation plan. If I don't have something new every day (well almost) I feel guilty that I am letting you down. To day being a holiday Monday in Aust I have spent the day in the garden with Helen. The only time I went into the garage was to get a power extension lead so that I could operate the "Chipper-chopper" turning all the bits that Helen was snipping off into mulch. While our garden is basically all Australian Native plants they still need cutting back from time to time. Otherwise we may end up having trouble getting to the front door. One good thing Lawns are kept to an absolute minimum, the only problem is that the mower needs a major engine tune every time I want to start it.

Bernie J.

Hi all

While I am waiting for the next lot of painted panels to be finished (perhaps tomorrow). I am doing another one of those little jobs for which there does not seem to be the "right time". I am doing the felt interior for the door pockets. Not particularly exciting but just another something that has to be done "sometime". Prior to starting this I put some wood filler into the timber alongside the aluminium toe board. Hopefully it will finish up smooth enough for me to use some of the off-cuts of linoleum, from the floor boards and running boards as, I believe, would have been originally done.

Bernie J.

A picture is worth a thousand words or so some people say.

Below is a photograph of the first of todays effort in lining the door pocket, (One of four). In the bottom corner of the photograph you can just see the unfinished wood filler on the rail running along side the battery box lid.

The other photograph of some left over hide from an earlier restoration (a 1927 Morris Cowley called "Buttercup). While not the "Biscuit" I have been talking about it is a really nice mid (London) tan which goes extremely well against the dark brown paint. For those interested you can see the Leather merchants tag which tells us that this colour is called "Halo Honey". Personally I think that, despite the name, it is a much more "Vintage" colour and the one that I will probably use for the Packard. All the (automotive) interior decorators among you (professional or amateur) may care to express an opinion.

Bernie J

post-51681-143138881714_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138881721_thumb.jpg

Hi.

Having collected the valances from Dave yesterday morning, I got back home just in time for lunch, I made a start on fitting the right hand side. By evening I had it about 2/3 fitted, every one of the little 1/4 inch x 1/2inch long bolts has put up a struggle.

Refreshed after a good nights sleep (well, as good as you get at 75) I should finish the first one and be well on the way with the left hand side by lunch time.

Perhaps some photographs then. The postman has delivered the Raised-head stainless 8-32 UNF screws and nuts to hold the aluminium trim on the running boards so they are next in the queue.

Bernie J.

Quite remarkably the left hand side valance jumped on all by itself! Well almost, having worked out what I was doing wrong, the second side went on with out a problem. Amazing what a good strong cup of black coffee will do. I have booked the running boards in with Tony (the trimmer) for him to spray contact adhesive on for the Linoleum. I believe that this will give me better adhesion and rule out the chance of any bubbles, lifting or uneven finish. Step by step....

Bernie J

I trust that I am not boring you all but some progress is happening.

No The linoleum has not yet been stuck down on the running boards.

I have not included a rear view as it takes me 10 minutes to turn the car around using a home handyman sized trolley jack.

Bernie J

post-51681-14313888489_thumb.jpg

No, it's quite fascinating to watch your progress on this Packard Single Six. If you had a time-lapse photography record of your restoration from start to finish lasting an hour I'd love watching it. I remember early-on you saying the car might be too far-gone to try, and now you've gotten to the "Rolling Restoration" level.

I also like the disc wheels on the Packard and the way the radiator shell turned out.

----Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Thank you Jeff

Rolling is probably the correct term as it continues to roll along. Today is more boring stuff. Nothing worth photographing! An hour this morning marking out and cutting the backing boards for the "wings" on the front seats. Then more time setting out and cutting the Aluminium angle trim to edge the running boards. As they taper in width towards the rear, cutting the mitres is not completely straight forward. Just the job for a quiet Saturday afternoon. Attached is a photo borrowed from the Packard Info site of a later 1930s Packard seat of a similar design to the ones I am building. At this stage I plan to have the seat cushion and squab using wide pleats as in the earlier 1920s cars. These are still some little way down the queue.

The second photograph most of you have seem before, I just have to keep reminding myself that I am actually making some progress.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138888637_thumb.jpg

post-51681-14313888864_thumb.jpg

Hi Bernie,

Just in case you don't know of this collection of Packard factory photos - - -

When Packard closed its doors, the entire collection of the company's factory photos was given to the Michigan State University library. These photos have been digitized in an online database. The database is known as "The Making of Modern Michigan". Enter the word Packard (or 1921 Packard for a specific year) into the "Search Collections" box. I hope the photos will be of help to you.

Visit:

The Making of Modern Michigan - "Digitizing Michigan's Hidden Past"

Grandpa

Hello Roger

I knew that I should have used the green paint left over from the Dixie Flyer but I really wanted to keep the Packard original. The grey wheels will go eventually but in the interim I need them on the car so I can turn it around every time I want to work on the other side.

Grandpa

Thank you for the info, it looks a really interesting site. I must take the time to search it properly

Ben

What can I say?

Bernie J

Back to work!

Thank you Mal

If you wait for me it may never occur. Today while waiting for the start of the Grand Prix I have been doing more boring things like cutting out the ply for the two front seat backs.

I hope that you all take time to have a look at the Grand Prix. It is a fantastic day in Melbourne and the TV shots of the city are fabulous. It makes you realise why it is difficult to think why anyone would want to live anywhere else. March is the very best time of the year to visit. The really hot days have gone and we enjoy beautiful sunny days with temperatures in the mid 20C range. The city is blest with wide tree lined streets and spacious parklands such as Albert Park where the Grand Prix is run on what for the rest of the year are public roads.

Bernie J.

Guest donald ellis

Bernie:

Are you sure that the floorboard cover is the same as the running board cover? I was persuaded that since the colour of the runningboard is black (to match the black of the fenders) The floorboard is a beige I have the remnant of the old one to go by) I checked this with a seller in Minnesota represented at Hershey, and they sold me a piece of what they call "Battleship Linoleum" in the original beige. If you are interested I will try to find the invoice I got from them.

Thank you Donald

The remnants of the original linoleum that were still on the floor boards and running boards were so grimy and faded it would have been impossible to accurately say what colour they were. Black, brown or grey I doubt that they would have started life as beige.

While I would like the car to be as "Original" as possible without the roof it left the factory with this is in all reality impossible. I have bought, cut and have stuck down the section of floor boards and have cut the material for the running boards, That I did not the easy route and buy the much less expensive ribbed rubber flooring and use that is sufficient to satisfy me. I think that the brown will compliment the car when it is finally finished. I appreciate your interest but in this case I will have to be content with what I already have.

Bernie J.

Thank you for your support OCF

It has been my life long passion, saving basket-cases and lost causes that has kept me perpetually poor! But then again I have become rich in knowledge and attracted a virtual fortune in friends and acquaintances. Added to this I have been blest with a loving and supportive wife who enjoys motoring in old cars and is a great navigator. This is borne out by the fact that this year she won the VSCC of Australia's (Vic) "Most Successful Navigator Award" against a field of very experiences and enthusiastic males.

Bernie J.