I just bought a 1940 Phaeton

Joe Cocuzza

Hi,

My name is Joe and I just bought a 1940 Limited Phaeton. It "appears" all original but needs a COMPLETE restoration.

I will be getting the car this Wed. and I can then look at and post all the

numbers for identification.

The weird thing is that the car has 18" tires on it and above the door handles (beltline) it is red, which matches the wheels and interior. The rest of the car is black. These may be flukes, but I will look into it further when I get it into my garage.

Joe

Guest wildcat465

I hate to contradict my friend Pete, but I am pretty sure the wheel size for Limited (80 Series or 90 Series) in 1940 would be 16".

I have seen Mopars and Fords built right before WW2 that had optional 18" wheels for rough rural roads with deep ruts/mud. I think Mopar offered them as some sort of "postal carrier" option? These had very skinny tires and rim widths.

I haver never heard of other makes like Buick having them...but maybe they did?

Hey Joe, I knew you would pop up somewhere. I was the guy on the phone buying the car when you bought it. Since I didn't end up with it, could you tell me what are your plans for it and what shape was the inside in? Are the floors intact? I was mad as hell but I've calmed down. The strangest thing happened the next day. I watch TCM a lot on cable because they have lots of old movies from the 20s, 30s and 40s. They had a movie on that I was watching and had never seen before and wouldn't you know it , the same year and model Buick was featured in the movie several times including a car chase with the police. I think you'll do ok with the car as I have lost many great cars over the years that I could have had for no money and they all went on to greener pastures. The car is an 81C

post-30973-143138189033_thumb.jpg

post-30973-143138189038_thumb.jpg

Edited by bubba (see edit history)

Hey BUBBA,

I saw the same movie that day - how strange is that???

Are you the guy from L.I. or Michigan ?

The interior is shot but the floors are solid as are the running boards and the rest of the body. Like I said, it needs a COMPLETE restoration.

What are my plans for it?

I would love to send it out for a ground up resto but that ain't gonna happen.

I cannot afford an undertaking like that on my piddly income.

I intend to clean it up some and try to get it started. From there ???????

What were you going to do with it?

I can sympathize with your anger with respect to not getting the car. Years ago, after pursuing a 1949 Frazer 4-door Convertible for 23 years, and having the car promised to me, alas, it went to someone else.

Thanks to those others who have responded to my post so far as well.

Joe

I'm the guy from LI. The guy from Michigan bowed out after offering twice the price to get rid of me. He couldn't pick it up for six weeks. For those who are reading this...the car was on Craigslist and it was one of those too good to be true deals. My original thought was that it was a scam but when the seller gave me a real phone number I started to believe it. I was on the phone with him and he was getting a small flood of callers so I was surprised to hear back from him when the first guy didn't take it. I was next in line. I was crazy not to say yes right away but the seller didn't know anything about the car and I wanted to know what the inside looked like because all I had was an outside picture. So I asked him to make sure that the floors were there and firm and that the seats were all there. He told me that someone ( JOE) was on his way over and that he would be back in 15 minutes but if I wanted now I could have it. Even though it was a great deal I had to know if it had a floor and as soon as he put down the phone I yelled forget it , I'll take it. But, alas, I made a mistake and an hour later I got a call confirming what I already figured.

Joe, I was going to restore it but not just give it to one guy to do it. I have car friends who would help me with it. I even have a friend with a trailer not far from where the car is so it all was coming together. Not in the cards for me though. It's not even close to the other cars that have slipped through my fingers and I was already over it. I was actually expecting it to show up on ebay. Then I would have stomach pains for that week. I hope you keep it and spare me the aggida.

Funny that you saw that movie also. If you need any help with the car you can ask me or post it here. Is this your first Buick?

Bubba,

In the past I have had several Buicks.

2 - 1936 sedans

1949 Super Woody

1953 Super Woody

Some other 60's and 70's ones, too.

Right now I am in the process of trying to complete my 47 Town and Country sedan, which is 6.5 years in on a full "cosmetic" restoration.

This Buick just caught my attention and because I lived so close to where it was - 42 miles - I had to go see it. We both know what happened next.

I am glad that you were able to "put this behind you" - I hate when people say that - and I really appreciate your offering me help if I need it.

We all have the "one that got away" story to tell I suppose.

Thanks again,

Joe

Joe,

It looks like your 81C has body number 212. In 1940 the production of the 81C was 250 cars, including 20 for the export market. The car has a 133" wheelbase, weighs 4,540 lbs. with an original price of $1,952. The 81C is a full CCCA Classic. There are about 14 examples known to exist today.

Grandpa

Here's the deal with the "18" inch wheels.

My blind eyes (and the fact that the tires were so dirty) led me to read 16" tires as 18" tires. So, my 81C has the correct 16" tire size.

However, the red beltline is still a mystery. Probably someone had it painted that way because they liked it or could it have come from the factory that way???

Does anyone have the serial/chassis #'s for the 14 1940 81C's known to exist?

I would like to know if mine is #15. I am going to venture to say that it is a "new" discovery because the car has been off the road since 1961.

All of this can be verified when I find the chassis/serial # on my car. Any help as to where to look??

Thanks, Joe

If you list all the numbers on the chassis plate, firewall plate & engine number the ever helpful Dave Corbin is likely to tell you when & where is was made.