the 1985 AACA first prize winner?

Guest DaveSmith

Guest DaveSmith

Hello, i am trying to find out the make and model of the 1985 AACA National First Prize Winner.

i need the make, model, and a photo if possible.

i found vehicle forsale and was told it is the winner for 1985 and i would like to verify it if possible.

thanks, Dave

Dave,

I think you can get an official answer from AACA Headquarters, but they would need the information on the car and previous owner. Howver, the owner at that time should have documentation, which is earned by the car. There should also be a small oval disk affixed to the car. So he should be able to show you the documentation. But if the car has changed ownership, the information may have been lost.

John

Guest DaveSmith

The current owner is not the same as when the award was won.

the disc is on the grille but i was hoping someone would have a list with the info. on it.

i would rather not disclose the info. in a public thread.

i contacted the HQ 2 weeks ago but have not heard anything yet.

thanks, Dave

Dave,

To restate restorer32.

There is not a single AACA winner in 1985.

The car in question probably won a first place in it's class sometime in 1985.

The car in question qualified for a first place award because it was restored to its original condition.

NOTE: The restoration is now 25 years old so that is a HUGE factor.

Guest DaveSmith

i guess i should have figured it would be a multi-class event.

anyways, its a Packard from the late 20's early 30's.

Dave

A quick check of my AACA award book shows only four Packards from the years '25 to '35 receiving a first national award in 1985. There are several more that got Seniors, Preservations. But I guess we need more info to narrow it down further.---Bob

Guest DaveSmith

i have contacted the HQ 2 weeks ago and today the AACA Library, no answer from either.

the car in question is a 1929 Packard 640. in 1985 the car may have been from CONN.

Dave

Dave,

My suggestion, so you know better what to ask the AACA for, is to go into the AACA "home page" and find the judging guidelines. At least you can give them the exact age and model so they know what class to look in and then you would need the VIN number probably to get the car in which you have an interest.

John

Dave.

Look on the 1st Junior plaque for a stamped number that should be dead center on the bottom. Do not know if they used these numbering systems back then however mine has "W11243" stamped.

If it has this number it should be easy for HQ to find.

Peter.

Guest billybird
There are four Packards listed in the winners book for 1985.

I should have said there are four 1929 Packards listed in the winners book for 1985.

Guest DaveSmith

OK, there is only one plaque on the grille. it has NO numbers.

it says, "SENIOR" National First Prize Winner 1985.

it is a 1929 Packard 640.

here are three photo's.

i can get numbers tomorrow if needed.

thanks for the help and patience.

Dave

post-66934-143138186621_thumb.jpg

post-66934-143138186626_thumb.jpg

post-66934-14313818663_thumb.jpg

Guest billybird

The Senior Award is actually a plaque itself with the Senior "tab" on it. As you know it mounts together with the National First plaque. I'm not sure when AACA started putting numbers on the First Junior plaque. If the car has been shown at a National Meet lately the owner was probably mailed a paper with the number on it even though it is not on the plaque.

Guest DaveSmith

the current owner has had the car for about 5 years. it has not been in or at a show in at least a decade. from what i understand the car was in storage for about 10 years [ covered and well kept] before being sold to the current owner. i have seen some of the older registrations and the car is from connecticut. the current owner does not have any of the papers from the former owner. sorry folks, i don't have much more info. the car has the 1985 plaque on the grille, thats why i am trying to find out if the car is a show winner or if someone just put the plaque on to try to enhance the value.

thanks, Dave

ps - i have driven the car, fantastic.

If you call AACA Headquarters and give them the car's serial number and make and model, they should be able to check the records and determine if it won the award that it displays. They could also check the owner's name from the old registration records that you have seen.

Dave, I need to know who you contacted here and who you spoke to. Please email me at aaca1@aaca.org It is not like our staff not to respond...something is afoul.

I have a partial answer: Your email to our library at 2:00 yesterday was received, however, the staff was unable to answer by the close of the day (4:00) and this morning they have out-of-town guests. We do our best to answer within 24 hours. I cannot find any HQ staff member who remembers your request however. Hopefully we will do better but our editor has come through for you.

Edited by Steve Moskowitz (see edit history)

Dave, you might try the roster keeper for that model at the Packard Automobile Club (PAC) - just google if you are not already a member. you may be able to obtain a history of ownership and possible show/points history there as well. As an aside, I would think a marque specific score would be of even more interest as judges focus on one make. Still not sure if a National win that long ago would enhance the value in any way but it is always nice to know the history of ownership if at all possible. The car certainly appears like it would stand on its own merits, though!

Keep us posted if you buy the car. You may want to consider joining both AACA and PAC if you are in the process of buying a Classic Packard. Both first class organizations that will enrich your experience in the hobby. It is a beautiful car, and appears well equipped. Color combo seems to fit right on a sporty DCP. Best of luck with it.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Guest FUNZI

Who has the names of the owners of the cars and list of cars that were in the AACA car show in Cherry Hill,New Jersey in 1985?

I won my Senior badge there and loved plenty of the cars there and was wondering if any are for sale or if they are owned by the same person.

I saw a nice Model A Ford Tow Truck there and a Model A Roadster I have pictures of and a Pink 1955 or 56 Ford Convertible My Mom took a picture standing next to.

I loved those cars and always wondered what happened to them and if they were sold or not or still owned as I would like to if possible purchase one or two.

Thanks-

My car would never be for sale.

My late Mom and Dad were both there and it was a great day I will always cherish.

Thanks-

Tony

Guest DaveSmith
William Hanson Jr. won his Senior badge in 1985 with his 1929 Packard at the Winchester Meet.

sorry it took so long to respond, very busy.

thank you very much, i will look at the past registrations to see if his name is on one of them.

do the photo's i posted match what is on file?

thanks, Dave

Guest DaveSmith
Dave, I need to know who you contacted here and who you spoke to. Please email me at aaca1@aaca.org It is not like our staff not to respond...something is afoul.

I have a partial answer: Your email to our library at 2:00 yesterday was received, however, the staff was unable to answer by the close of the day (4:00) and this morning they have out-of-town guests. We do our best to answer within 24 hours. I cannot find any HQ staff member who remembers your request however. Hopefully we will do better but our editor has come through for you.

its ok, i understand everyone is busy. besides, i'm not on a time schedule to get the info. i believe i talked to "laura" but i am not sure so don't yell at her.

and thank you very much for the help. i do appreciate it. if i buy the car i will join the AACA. the current asking price is right around the $125K mark. might be a little high. but how many 29 640's are left in this condition??

thanks, Dave

Guest DaveSmith
Dave, you might try the roster keeper for that model at the Packard Automobile Club (PAC) - just google if you are not already a member. you may be able to obtain a history of ownership and possible show/points history there as well. As an aside, I would think a marque specific score would be of even more interest as judges focus on one make. Still not sure if a National win that long ago would enhance the value in any way but it is always nice to know the history of ownership if at all possible. The car certainly appears like it would stand on its own merits, though!

Keep us posted if you buy the car. You may want to consider joining both AACA and PAC if you are in the process of buying a Classic Packard. Both first class organizations that will enrich your experience in the hobby. It is a beautiful car, and appears well equipped. Color combo seems to fit right on a sporty DCP. Best of luck with it.

thanks, i am going to check out the P.A.C. today. i have also been on the Packard Info. sight, lots of good stuff there.

thanks, Dave