Roger's handcrafted 1:12 scale models

Thats too bad about that modeling forum. And no way for others to find each other. No forwarding addresses.

I still go over your posts Roger, -all of them! And I always find inspiration in your works!  -it is too bad that you don't have a broader modeling-based forum to post to.

I think your work, and simple techniques would inspire others.

I hope to get some work of my own done soon. My "day job" has actually been giving me some model work to do! And overtime! -fun work!! (A 1/4th scale Ferrari, just a basic solid body model, and some "Desk Models" of an electric airplane prototype!) However, I wear many hats at work, and don't expect much more or any more model work for the rest of the year.

As usual, "Your biggest fan in Long Beach!"

• Like 2

The windshield frame is almost ready. Two difficulties did my life harder: the décor at the corner from the windshield’s post and the frame itself was not flat, but the base has a slight radius towards the rear. With a multitude of brass bits those difficulties could be overcome.

Still missing: the pods for the wipers and one for the rear view mirror. Those 3 parts will also be silver soldered on the assembly.  

I also have to ad two pins which are used to locate the convertible top when closed.

After that, a good detailing and polishing should make a decent windshield frame.

645 Almost ready.JPG

646 interesting detail.JPG

• Like 18

Very interesting detail. I guess that might be called "Fluting?" I have seen similar visual devices in furniture, but never on a car!

I'm sure it was a lot of fun to make!

Roger,

To fabricate a 30's classic such as this Cadillac from pictures and drawings (when you can get them) and accurately reduce them to this scale is an undaunting task.  However, for those of us who have been following  you for the last decade (or so) amazement falls short of really describing your work.  As an automotive engineer, you tackle the most difficust processes and problems logically, with methods that produce the solution(s) to the problems.   

The finest watches made in the world  come from your "neck of the woods".  The Swiss engineering/craftsmanship sets the standards for finite work.  Your model falls right into that group of precision creations. 

As the body starts to emerge, it is really fascinating to watch you design, test and fit the multitude of parts that make up each segment.   Just excellent workmanship that is produced by you, Roger. 

Each post is relished and it is nice to sit down in front of the monitor and see what you have done next and how you accomplished that step.  

Randy

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Randy and Pat. There is a huge difference between the way I could do the Mark II and this project: with the Mark II, I had some very accurate and interesting drawings, plus the possibility to get at cars located at 10 miles from home. I had the chance to get at a frame and engine some years ago, but there is no drawing available. I have many picturesfrom elements which are common or similar between the V-8  and V-16 cars and that' it. The consequence: all elements are approximate in shape and dimension. Is that important? In fact no. At the end, it's just a scale model without any pretension other than entertain you and me!

With the addition of the pods for the wipers and rear view mirror, the windshield frame is ready. However, there will be still some elements to ad like the inner moldings. I will have the choice to make them in real wood or painted brass. If the original parts are attached with screws; mines will be glued because of past negative experience.

I will now do the ventilation door from the cowl.

647 Windshield frame.JPG

648 Windshield frame.JPG

• Like 14

Even if the alignment from the vent door is far from perfect (it will be corrected in due time), the system operates more or less the same as the original one: a rod is rotating one hinge to open or close the vent; three or four positions can be set.
The rod is not yet done because its position will be dictated when the dash is done.
When completely open that vent could act as an aero-brake! 649ventdoor.JPG.6a0bd5595d676f97e4fb639c7290e68a.JPG650ventdooropen.JPG.5183d6ef3f37b0f8e73864adfcc6f687.JPG651mechanism.JPG.d70c9492e4afad36b08146840d73dfca.JPG

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

The auxiliary firewall is indeed not a complicated part. With a large die, the flange could be bend, making a one-piece part. As such a die would be rather large, I opted for a multi-parts affair, with the upper and side flanges soft soldered to the base. I could use again the die I did for the lower section from the main firewall.

The original part is attached to the main firewall with several nuts located very near from the flange. I simplified this methos by using just a few nuts. Contrary to the original vehicle, I will not ad insulation material between both parts!

The next step: I will solder to the assembly the brackets to attach the dashboard. Both brackets should be the last parts requiring soldering.

Without destructive heat, I will then use plastic filler to correct some irregularities.

652 secondary firewall.JPG

• Like 6

On the real cars, the dash is attached on the side with 4 screws in total. I could replicate the brackets, but I could not put any screws due to the position. Therefore, I changed the way of attachment: the dash will rest on two lateral supports having a provision for a bolt each side.

The upper part of the dash is also fixed to the wood structure with four or five screws. I have no wood structure, but I could solder two small brackets for the to be born dash.

I also realized that the job with soldering was not yet over: the lower part of the body has a rather large molding which was pressed into the sheet metal. I used solid brass to replicate the molding. There is also a less wide in-pressed molding running the length of the car; I soldered two bits of brass at a location I hope is more or less correct in “altitude” and they should be horizontal. It could be that I will have to rework those short moldings when the hood will be done.

653 Moldings.JPG

654 Attachment for dash.JPG

• Like 13

Roger,

Are you and Christina off to your summer getaway in France this summer?  I am at my friends home in Vista, Ca.  (North San Diego).  He inherited a wine collection from his late father in law.  Among the bottles were several bottles of "Chateau Lafite Rothschild". The aged red dates from the 60s.  There is one bottle that dates to 1952 and he was told that that bottle is worth many thousands of dollars. 

Roger, I am no wine "snob".  Neither is my friend.  His father in law was from Hungary and was very successful in realestate.  He built this "mansion" in the hills and stocked the wine cellar with his collection of fine wines.  Sadly, he has passed but left the estate to his daughter and her husband, my friends.

Sunday, we are to dine together and he will open one of the bottles for us to enjoy with the meal.  I will let you know if it lives up to all that they say about this fine wine.  I have never sampled a Lafite Rothschild so it will be one to tick off of my "bucket list".  When I lift my glass with them, I will think of you and Christina at you summer home in France, partaking in your wines that you have there.  I would hope to someday travel to Switzerland and see you both (as soon as I can retire ! ! !)

In the meantime, I am going to get my 1936  P2 Touring Sedan out of storage and drive it this next week.  I have not had time to do so since I have spent the spring moving into my new location, packing and unpacking takes a tremendous amount of time.  I am now all moved but the work is just begun.  I hope that you never have to move !  What a traumatic experience.

I also have made contact with a gentleman  that just joined our car club.  I was told that he has an early (30's) Cadillac Roadster.  I have not laid eyes on it nor had any time to converse with him.......yet.  If he can be persuaded to bring that car to our Saturday meet one day soon, I will get photos of it and find out about the providence of that car.  I do not know the model or year but when time comes, I will fill you in and get as many pictures as I can.  If it is a suiteable year and you need pictures of a particular area or ? let me know.  I will do my best to photograph that to send to you.  I will keep you posted.

Randy

No, no! we are in Switzerland. No way to be in france and get exposed to excessive temperatures! We like to go there, but we are also well here!

"Fortunately", wines in my cellar never get that old! The older ones I have for the moment are Pomerol from 2016. Good wine, but never in the same class as a Château Lafite! Depending how the wines are stored, such old wines can be fantastic or just like vinegar...

If the car from your new friend is from 1932 or 1933 and the body is from Fisher, there are details I may be interested! Too much "ifs" to tell you what to photograph. From the man living in the Netherlands, I have hundreds pictures, but so few dimensions...

A bit of filler to correct some irregularities and a coat of primer is making a lot of difference! As it can be seen on the attached pictures, the surface is not yet ready for paint. The cowl will stay that way for some more time, but now I have a good base to continue towards the front or the rear.

655 cowl.JPG

656 cowl.JPG

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Roger,

It is so critical that the rest of the body starts with the firewall/cowl.  Everythinig seems to be fitted there first, then the car "flows" back from there.  The cowl looks great.  We are in the "dog days" of summer here.  The humidity (my bane) has been lingering here for a long spell.  This makes the heat of summer somewhat unberable.  Normally, we are a dry climate here in So Cal.  UGH !  

No news of the new member in our club yet.  I asked our "fealrless leader" if he can make contact with him regarding his Cadillac.  As soon as I get word from him, I will inquire the year and if I can visit him (if he dosen't drive the car to our weekend gathering

(Dang, hit the wrong button again and posted before I was finished ! )

I will let you know as to the year of the Cadillac and if it is a Fisher bodied roadster.   I dined with my friends this last weekend.  I brought desert, a German Black Forest cake to compliment the Beef Bourguignon that his wife and mother made, along with a beautiful salad to start.  

He has several bottles of the Rothchild from the 1961 vintage, so he uncorked one.  After allowing time for it to breath, he poured us all a glass and we sampled this wine.   Roger, it is all that they say.  An exquisit wine that is hard to describe if you are not a wine aficionado, which I am not.  Suffice it to say;  It was absolutely "delicious" and we took our time savoring this rare wine.  I cannot imagine what the 1952 bottle would taste like.

He has them all stored in his wine cellar at a controlled humidity/temperature environment.  I am invited next time that he will "turn" the bottles and  inspect them to ensure that they are all in good order.  

If the Cadillac is in the same  year with a Fisher body that you need info on, what particular part of the car is needed for measurements?  I'll do my best to get you the information that you need.   

Thanks Randy! If the car is the correct year range (32-33) I'll have certainly wishes...

Glad you appreciate that whine, but the one from 1952 may be like vinegar!

All elements from the front end are tied together: the cowl, the radiator surround, the central hood hinges, the upper hood panels and so on.

To have the cowl at its correct position, a bit of the floor should be done, the buck for the hood panels is also needed. It’s done, but the battery for the camera decided to go empty, therefore the picture will come later. Another element is also needed: the molding between hood and cowl. The purpose from this molding is not clear to me; I have the impression that it’s just an artifice to hide the misalignment between hood and cowl: as some identical body styles were used on V-8, V-12 and V-16 frames, the line cowl/hood cannot be flowing.

Anyway, I finished this molding as the shape of the cowl is now set. I added a small lip which go over the cowl, hiding the imperfection of the cowl where the molding is meeting it.  

Thanks to Johan, I got details how the hood is articulated at the middle. I’m not sure if I will be able to replicate the original system as it required three profiles which must be almost perfect.

657 Molding on cowl.JPG

658 Molding.JPG

• Like 16

This is quite the project. It is nice to see that pride and workmanship still exists. Always look forward to your posts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice work, attention to detail is always rewarding, even if challenging to accomplish. For my '31 Chrysler Roadster, which has a similar stainless steel cowl band, it is one piece and tightened firmly against cowl by hidden adjustable bolts at lower ends each side. Gap between hood back edge and cowl band are about 3/16", and at rad shell 1/8", controlled by the center hinge end fitting. Hood also sits about 3/32" off top of cowl on fabric "wind lace" riveted to cowl and to rad shell. The stainless cowl band acted as a protection from careless raising and lowering of hood sides which could chip/scratch the cowl paint if not careful. Instead, the hood corners touch the stainless band first. Corners of hood often had leather or rubber triangular corner protectors which also help protect cowl and hood corner paint. Here I show a set of hood side lift handles I removed from a crumpled a 1930 LaSalle hood, which may be similar to those used on Cadillac (chrome plated brass), and also the hood latch pieces.. Enjoying your thread very much.

IMG_9034.JPG

IMG_8719.JPG

IMG_8988.JPG

IMG_9056.JPG

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Thanks Gunsmoke for the pictures and explanation about the hood. I have several pictures from the 1932 hood from a V-8 model; the V-16 is similar, just a bit longer...The hinges are a bit diferent than the one you are showing, anyway, similar. A man located in the Netherlands restored a '32 V-8; I have many pictures from various systems; unfortunately, he restored an all weather phaeton. The front of the body is identical to the one I'm doing, the back is of course different. I'm waiting from him a dimension to be able to continue with the hood. I'm attaching one of his pictures showing which dimension I would like to have. Maybe Alex D. could take it from his own car; the parts are the same!

There are periods which I’m doing a bit from this or that. Due to the reasons I described recently about the hood (see also above), I began to tackle the body’s floor. It’s mainly a wood construction, but not only. I began with the side beams which are connected to the cowl and go till the end of the car. The beams were screwed at the cowl; when I’m ready for that, I will glue them, it better against road vibrations!
I’m using plywood for those beams: strong enough and light. 
The outer lines are not yet trimmed. All will be done in due time…
I’m also adding the promised picture from the hood’s buck. I wanted to buy a transparent product for the wood but I choose the wrong one. I'll get the clear one next week, but to bend the hood panels on the buck, that white stuff will be also OK.

Hood (1).jpg

660 floor beginn.JPG

659 hood buck.JPG

• Like 6

Thanks Alex, it's exactly what I was needed! Due to the tiny width, I probably will not be able to replicate the original system. But I will find a way.

@Don: thanks ! Yes, we can thake it that way: my 29th again! Stainless stell is not easy to weld; take care of that Swiss coin!

• Like 1

While I was at it, I continued with the floor. There is mainly wood, but there are also large steel panels which were installed. What I’m doing is more or less correct; some elements are done the way I think they may be correct. As reference, I’m using many pictures from a ’32 All Weather Phaeton which has a different floor at the rear than the convertible. I have also some good pictures from Paul, some from a LaSalle convertible (same body as I’m doing), the mix will give something not too far from the reality.

Before I can glue some crossmembers, I have to finish the milling from the side rails, otherwise, when assembled, I will not be able to perform more machining.

661 wood floor.JPG

• Like 14

Roger, from the age of 8? or 9? I have been fascinated by models. Model making. I was so proud of myself when, as a boy, I figured out how ships in a bottle were made!

In one way or another I have always been involved in scale models. And I still am, of course, and will continue to be till my end.

Today is the first day in a very long time when I didn't have anything that "I HAVE TO DO TODAY" - a day to relax and be idle if I choose. I have just spent a part of it looking over your shoulders, at your models, and all of your works in progress pictures. I can in almost every image see something that I had forgotten. "When did he make that?" -or that, and that little detail? -when did he make that?

The effect of your labors is greater than the sum of it's parts!

Thank you! - (now I have laundry to do!)

-Don

• Like 1

Thanks Don and Keith for the comments! 

Well Don, my obsession as a child was "cars" and my parents did not have one! When I realized that the Meccano could not help a lot with bodies, I did them with cardboard. Then, with humid cardboard to allow to bent the cardboard in two planes. The the fiberglass went in; the rest is history!

• Like 5

Roger,

Now that I have moved into the new location, one office is dedicated to my model room.  I am coming up on my 75th birthday and I need to get back into my modeling before my eyesight and dexterity wane.  You are inspiration to us all but especially to us older gents as you continue to perform with the skills of a master.  As "Marying Sam"  (In the Lil Abner musical) said to Daisy Mae (a knockout!)  "You have more "left over" than what most girls start out with!"  

It must be that Swiss air and water that produces such fine craftsmen and women that the world has come to know and appreciate, Roger.  On rare occasions do we see others that are craftsmen and modelers that are in the rarified "air" that we can call...........MASTERS.  You set the benchmark.

As the Cadillac progresses, for us that have been around the earlier cars, it is a familiar sight to see the elements after they have been formed, fitted and perfected.  Again, if you set these parts away from your bench in a diorama, one wouldn't know that they were only 1:12 scale such is your accuracy.

We come back each week to see what else you have done to amaze us once again.  

Randy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Roger,

As Don (in Orange County, South LA) and I have suffered through one of the hottest, most humid August in a long time, it is refreshing to once again have the temperate climate that So Cal is known for.  It was impossible to work in the humid heat that we experienced.  I went out into my shop, would work for a few minuites before it became exceedingly uncomfortable.  I just threw in the wrench and headed back into my air conditioned office.  In my elder years, I am not so heat tolerant.  Everybody elswhere must be chuckling at my "whining" regarding our summer heat/humidity.  We are not use to humid weather here so it makes it almost unberable for us who have been acclimated to the very temperate weather we have here. 

We have practically 50% of the "tourists" here from Arizona.  It is regularly around 105 degrees there (and up) durring their summer months.  We call them Zonies and most have second homes here in Orange and San Diego counties to escape the opressive heat.  

Back to the Cadillac.  We have not heard back from the member who has the V16.  Two questions that I have posed to the club leader; What year is it and is it a Fisher Body model?  As soon as we get an answer, I will let you know if it is the one that you will be interested in getting the info/pics of.  I am sure that the gentleman would have no qualms about me going to his location and taking pictures and measuring what ever area of the car that you need.  I will keep you posted Roger.  Also, happy belated birthday to you.  Keep healthy and safe.

Randy

It was hotter than usual and for about two weeks. 105'F or 40.5'C. Friends of mine had to deal with 110'F or more, for a few days.

Skipping ahead, Roger, will you be doing Perlage on the instrument panel?