MacFarland Touring car

Thanks Budd,

At least it's something. There doesn't seem to be much information out there for Macfarland. I know one was owned by Hollywood director William Desmond Taylor at the time of his death. It was listed among items sold in May 1922 at his probate by the California State Superior Court for the amount of $3,550, along with a Chandler coupe which sold for $925. Both cars (so far) appear to be lost with the sands of time.

Best,

Greg

Thanks West,

That is almost certainly where my difficulty lies. On the probate sheets the spelling was listed incorrectly as "MacFarland".

Best,

Greg

Perhaps your public library can find for you a copy of "What Was The McFarlan" by Keith Marvin and Alvin J. Arnheim with Henry H. Blommel. Published privately by Alvin J. Arnheim in 1967. The book has pictures of most of the McFarlan cars known to exist at the time of publication, as well as a substantial amount of McFarlan history.

Guest Casper Friedrich

In the September issue of Motor Trend 1954 there was a 1925 coupe in good condition for sale in St. Louis, Missouri. The name of the owner was A. Tomek. Aluminium body and Wisconsin 6-cylinder overhead engine. What became of that car?

Alvin Arnheim and Keith's book covers details of all the known surviving cars and ownership at that time. Strangely, one Wiley Gentleman (not oriental), who used to buy a lot of good parts of early cars cheap in USA, and list telephone numbers for prices here, had a Mcfarlan oil pressure gauge at Bendigo swap about 20 years ago. He probably still has it, because it is improbable that any of these ever came to Australia.

There was a yellow touring car located in Elizabeth City NC a few years ago. That was just a few miles south of us and was owned by a guy running an antique shop. He had relocated from New Jersey and brought a lot of interesting automobilia with him. He also had an Armstrong Siddley sedan and both were for sale. Don't know what ever happened to him or the cars but they were advertised in Hemmings. That was probably about ten years ago. Will try to do a little more digging her to find out what happened to it.

Terry

At a time when my hair was not so grey I looked at a hood ornament for a McFarlan which is of Atlas holding a globe. It was for sale by Bill Williams at Hershey, and the price at the time was $2500.00 - it was around 1980-1985.

Putting this into perspective, the Stutz Ra ornament that was next to it was $250, and I bought a Pierce Arrow ornament, the one in the sape of the car front in the center of the wheel & arrow, for $100 (this would be considered the "cheapie version" for PA)

Moneypit-you bring back memories with the mention of Bill Williams. He and I were friends for many years. I bought a few nice things from him over the years. He was always generous with his knowledge and really helped me with collecting.

Still trying to find time to check up on that Mcfarlan that was down in NC near us.

Don - did I meet you down at the AACA National Meets in Paris Texas a few years ago?

Terry

Re Tex-Riv' serial number plate. McFarlan only made about 3500 cars in 18 years. Number 513 would be fairly early in the run - maybe mid-teens? Odd that I have found no mention of a model 69 though. The early ones were model 127,137,147 etc. Maybe you need to compare it with the plate on a surviving car? These cars had very big engines about 9.3 litres and built - I think - by Teetor.

On the 2007 AACA SE Divisional Tour in Tallahassee we visited a private museum located behind a theme restaurant in Havana FL (or close by) with a McFarlan on display. We had lunch there, catered by the restaurant. He had quite a history on the McFarlan. Maybe somebody from the Tallahassee Region could get you the name of the collector, and the correct town.

• 2 months later...