1956 Hood Hinge Springs (green?)

Budd

All -- I'm getting ready to recoat my hood hinges and springs, and while the hinge unit itself looks to be silver cadmium coated, I distinctly remembered my hood hinge SPRINGS were a "lime green" color when I removed them years ago. I went back to the photo's I took back then, and sure enough, lime green. Anyone else have this experience on their 1956 Buick (or 55 ?) I see most folks refinish them in underhood black or silver cad, even some have them chromed.

I'm curious about the green though. It seems so oddball on the car where everything else is either dipped in dull black, cadmium coated, chrome, etc.

Near as I can tell, this part of my car is untouched and original. I still have the crayon trim/color markings on the firewall, the firewall is the original fading Cadet Blue paint, the hinges look to be untouched and the silver cad is wearing off, etc. I could be wrong, but if anyone else out there has seen this, it might confirm my suspicions.

Thanks,

Budd

P0005782.JPG

I just looked through the archives of pictures I have of "OPB's" (other peoples Buicks) and found a half dozen examples of "lime green" springs on old, unrestored, crappy looking 1956 Buicks. I found examples on both Ionia bodies wagons and regular sedans. Only one picture I have shows a "restored" Buick with the green springs, all other restored Buicks have the springs over-sprayed with black paint.

So the untouched and unrestored Buicks seem to have the green springs (under copious amounts of rust). So I guess I'm looking to the group to see if anyone knows different about the spring color, and/or if I can get some confirmation that indeed they were green! Can anyone guess why they were green? Maybe the supplier got a good deal on green paint?

Cheers,

Budd

Hmmm... so I wonder if the color was used to signify different lengths or tensile strength (if that's the right word) between the different model years. 1953 and 1954's have a different spring/hinge configuration and geometry than do 1956's.

Budd

Hmmm... so I wonder if the color was used to signify different lengths or tensile strength (if that's the right word) between the different model years. 1953 and 1954's have a different spring/hinge configuration and geometry than do 1956's.

Budd

Not to be particular, but I believe it is called "spring tension" or "spring resistance" and I know that the car companies used to use that color coding for different tensions with stuff like carburetor springs and other types of springs. That makes perfect sense to me.

Yes, thanks Keiser-- that was the wording I was trying to imply with the "tensile" comment above. So, I'd buy that argument, that the funky color of the springs was meant to identify it for the appropriate application, 1956 in this case. Possibly red for 1954.

Budd

Thank you everyone for the replies, this was a good discussion. So it looks as if the 1954 and 1955 hood springs were red (and different configuration to match the different hood hinge), and the 1956 hood springs were lime green. I wouldn't bet judging points on this, but it's good enough for me. I'll keep mine lime green (powdercoated).

Cheers,

Budd

Note the rarely seen, two-year-only, vacuum pump in "StealthBob's" photo! His 76-R has power brakes, no doubt.

Sorry for getting off subject, but you almost never see these, and here is a really good photo of one! Would love to get a larger, high resolution version of that for the Bugle sometime--hint, hint...Bob.

Pete Phillips

pphillips922@earthlink.net

Note the rarely seen, two-year-only, vacuum pump in "StealthBob's" photo! His 76-R has power brakes, no doubt.

Sorry for getting off subject, but you almost never see these, and here is a really good photo of one! Would love to get a larger, high resolution version of that for the Bugle sometime--hint, hint...Bob.

Pete Phillips

pphillips922@earthlink.net

Better yet it still works!

I have more pics...I'll get some to your email in the next couple of days.

• 2 weeks later...

The springs on my '57 Special Model 48 were dark blue..I think that it might have something to do with spring tension on the hood as well. Possibly a plant item at final assembly or something to do with hood weight and closing/opening forces.

Jim Pickard BCA#45059

57 Special 48

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I know it's an old post, but I am also looking to see if anyone out there has different color springs on their 1957 Buick - is there a difference between the 40/60 and 50/70 regarding spring color, like there seems to be on the 56? Mine were a very dark blue, original. Any comments?

• 1 month later...
Guest 70 Electra

Like an earlier poster stated, 1960 Buick hood springs are green....but the color is essentially same as engine color (i.e. turquoise, not bright green like the 56 ones shown in the photos)