Did anyone watch CSI last night

Guest sintid58

Guest sintid58

They wrecked a very nice looking 66 Buick Wildcat (Le Sabre) 4 door hardtop last night on CSI. Makes me want to never watch the show again. At 1st I was pretty excited to see the car on the show thinking maybe it would become a regular but no they had to wreck it in the 1st 15 minutes. Whats the probem no Ford Taurus's available out of the thousand on the highway and in used car lots.

As the show started and I saw the gold 66 Wildcat, and I noticed the car was in excellent condition. It's a car that looked very original and was a good looking Buick. I could not believe they wrecked it, what a shame. The characters got out of the car without giving it a second look and said nothing about it. If the driver had that car and kept it so nice I think he would at least express sorrow it was now junk. This has turned me off to watching CSI and it was a bad story line too!

Guest windjamer

I dont think it was computer generated. I thought the car was vary nice but I thought the interior needed work. If it reruns and Im sure it will, check out the head liner and right rear sail panel. The story line sh*t the bed. I did think the car would look nice in my garrage befor they rolled it.

Guest Skyking
This has turned me off to watching CSI and it was a bad story line too!

I feel the same way about the movie Christine. I never finished watching it. To my understanding, they ruined quite a few Plymouth Furys to make it.:mad:

I watched the clip as well. Just before the roll the Wildcat, look at the photo of the car. It's not the same car as the one they show in the beginning of the clip. It is still a 66 Wildcat but it is in pretty poor condition. Still a shame to waste a Wildcat, even one that is in poor shape.

Greg

And very soon we will all be able to see Jimmy Stewart slam an old Dodge Brothers touring car into a tree in the movie "It's A Wonderful Life". I DO like to watch it for all of the early cars, though.

OK Buick People: Keep in mind that this gold Wildcat is the same car your "good" neighbors report as blight to the city when parked in your driveway.

We are the minute minority! Mitch

I am so glad that I have "bad" neighbors!!!

After reading this, i went back and watched the roll over again and again (Tivo). It sure looks like a different car ten the one in the beginning.

Still too bad to wreck it, but I liked the story. Good thing is, knowing how studios work, they will repair the car and it will show up again. Maybe red the next time. They dont trash them and then junk them, they reuse and re wreck numerous times.

I would sure have to wonder if the car wasn't the one that Adam Martin had.

Keith, I about fell out of my chair when I saw the video......BUT that wasn't the car. It was a clone:D

My car's interior was totally trashed...this one looked pretty nice. Unless they redid the interior, this isn't the same car. My car supposedly went to Norway when I sold it. He told me he was restoring it when it got there...:cool:

I loved this car, with the exception of the rotten interior...

clean004.jpg

Edited by Smartin (see edit history)

I know that when Warner Brothers filmed "The Dukes of Hazzard", they used up a LOT of Dodge Chargers. They would take anything from 318 cubic inch cars to 440 cubic inch cars and toss them around. One favorite trick to "save" on cars was to use a variety of cameras and film the launches from all sides. That way, they could use a different angle from the same wreck and use it to show "another" wreck. They sold off their back lot of I think about 150 cars to various folks. All of the "Dukes" cars were spray painted tan inside so that the sun and lights would reflect to show the drivers better.

I know that when Warner Brothers filmed "The Dukes of Hazzard", they used up a LOT of Dodge Chargers. They would take anything from 318 cubic inch cars to 440 cubic inch cars and toss them around. One favorite trick to "save" on cars was to use a variety of cameras and film the launches from all sides. That way, they could use a different angle from the same wreck and use it to show "another" wreck. They sold off their back lot of I think about 150 cars to various folks. All of the "Dukes" cars were spray painted tan inside so that the sun and lights would reflect to show the drivers better.

That is, until the budget got cut. In the final years, many of the stunts were done with hot wheels cars!

But yes, the number of Chargers they wasted was significant and increased the value of those remaining.

Back to the '66 in the movie...the headliner was coming apart and I think I saw A/C vents. It looked like the engine mounts broke and the engine bowed the hood out when it flipped.

If they can't fix it, maybe it can donate a few good quarter panels???

What a shame...the acting was so bad I couldn't bring myself to watch any further.

BTW, the driver did refer to the car. "Damn, I really rolled the old girl!" or something to that effect. Certainly didn't seem to care.

OK BCA People; I was just thinking.......what about all those really good old Buicks that are still being cut up to restore other Buicks? (especially by BCA people) A decent car is a decent car and in my book wrecking this gold car as well as cutting up a decent car for a donor car is ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY UNNECESSARY!

What happened to intrigue, adventure and a plot that can hold one's interest?

Guest my3buicks
OK BCA People; I was just thinking.......what about all those really good old Buicks that are still being cut up to restore other Buicks? (especially by BCA people) A decent car is a decent car and in my book wrecking this gold car as well as cutting up a decent car for a donor car is ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY UNNECESSARY!

Exactly why is it that you single out "BCA"people as cutting up donor cars? This is common throughout the hobby, regardless of club affiliation or non club affiliation. Sounds like someone has an axe to grind with the BCA.

I think Mitch was wondering why the BCA folks (those who are for the preservation of Buicks) will cut up a perfectly good 4 door hardtop to save a rusty wagon, or several cars if there are enough good parts.

Keith is right about the fact that there is no particular club or organization that condones this type of activity...it is almost a standard practice in every corner of the hobby. Whether you agree with it or not is your opinion.

Guest Buick Bonery

I totally agree with you, Mitch. It's almost as bad as people who buy restorable cars and leave them out in a field to ROT instead of restoring them.

For what it is worth, I went back and reviewed the show on my DVR. I could freeze-frame the video and watch it in slo mo. The wrecked car had no gas tank, and the front end folded up like a beer can on impact, suggesting the motor and transmission were out of the car and the subframe was removed or significantly altered in order to balance the front/rear of the car and make it rollover the way the director wanted it. So, this car was probably a wreck taken out of a junk yard made to look good with an 'Earl Scheib' paint job to match the real car, and was then shot over the ramp to make it roll over.

Also, the car had a serious dent in the driver's side of the front bumper and a dent in the passenger side front fender, all before the car rolled over. When the car rolled, all four windows were closed, but when the guys got out of the car, all windows were down.

Finally, it had the scripted "Wildcat" insignia on the rear fenders, which was correct for a '65 'Cat (still own one) but the '66 would have had block letters on the rear fenders (used to own one). So, this car may have actually been pieces of more than one car put together for the stunt car.

I doubt if it even had a stunt driver in it, because usually a driven car will always have an escape hatch pre-cut on the bottom and covered with a piece of aluminum or sheet metal, in case something goes wrong and they need to get the driver out quickly. Often, the stunt people don't even bother painting the escape hatch because it happens so quickly on camera.

Most likely, the drivable car you saw was never damaged; they just used a stunt double car for the rollover.

Joe

Edited by Reatta Man (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

Joe, i think you are right about it being a "stunt" double car. I believe if memory serves me correctly some of the early 66 Wilcats had the script name and then weitched over to the block letters.

OK Buick People: I'm going to say a few things here.

First. I have no beef with the BCA. Maybe I need to rephrase and say "Buick People" because that is the circle of people I am familiar with, and not BCA people.

Second If somebody has a problem with my Buicks laying in a field it is their problem not mine....and they may want to consider taking their own inventory not mine.

One last thing. This old car hobby is in it's infancy now. Taking these several things into consideration one might look differently upon the situation. The population is growing at a tremendous pace and all kinds of people are entering the old car hobby. Not everybody can afford a very popular high profile special interest car. Third world and developing countries are gaining wealth fast. Where am I going with this?

I am predicting, sooner than later that there will be a fantastic world wide demand for cars exactly like the 66 Wildcat that was wrecked on the CSI show. Look at what has happened here in the United States with Automobilia stretching into every corner of our culture. It will be no different anywhere else on the planet. Supply and demand will also show it's face.

Do I want to save them all? Well I do what I do because I enjoy collecting the way I do it. Am I banking on my cars being worth a ton of money? No, and at this point in time they are probably worth considerably less than I paid for them, money spent on them and that's not considering the time I spent working on them. I just don't like seeing things that mean something to me (and many others as shown in this thread) destroyed for 2 seconds of cheap sensationalism. I also feel the same way about people parting out perfectly good cars to restore their car.

That's it. Mitch

Nothing annoys me more than seeing fully restored antique cars destroyed in some stupid movie or TV show. Everyone likes to think these are computer generated. But usually it is much easier and cheaper for the studio to buy and wreck an antique. Most of the cars are under $30,000, so this is nothing compared to an actor making 10 or 20 million for the movie or even $100,000 an episode for a TV show. And that is only for one main actor, obviously many more actors are needed. In fact, many times more than car is destroyed even though it only looks like one in the movie or episode.

What really annoys me is that most of the time, an antique is not even needed. They would get the same result with a Taurus or Accord. Very rarely does the plot actually require the antique that was wrecked, such as the movie Christine. (By the way, at least that was a good movie, and while many Plymouths were destroyed, some of the cars were restored by individuals that took them out of the junkyard along with the others for parts. There is a website somewhere about that.) The Dukes of Hazzard destroyed a lot of Chargers, but at the time they were only 10-15 year old used cars with quickie paint jobs. I think there is a big difference when they destroy a 40 year old fully restored antique.

The last episode of Burn Notice showed a 1960 Buick convertible being destroyed. We later found out that it was an engineless 4 door done up to look like the convert. While a restorable or parts car is still being destroyed, at least it is not as bad as destroying a fully restored one. Hopefully that is what happened with this '66 Wildcat.

One reason that you might see more 1960 Chrysler 300 Letter cars and FEW 1960 Chrysler New Yorker 2-door hardtops is that the New Yorkers were used as donor cars for the more desireable and valuable 300 Letter Cars. How many luxury brand vehicles (i.e., Chrysler New Yorkers, Buick Electras, Olds 98s, Mercurys, or Lincolns were bought in earlier times . . . just for their bigger engines . . . from original owners, then trashed after the new owner got the powertrain parts they wanted? That's what "hot rodding" been about since its inception . . . using parts from "nice cars" to help build somebody else's "dream car" (usually, the "nice car" was a 4-door and the "dream car" was some sort of 2-dr vehicle that, in reality, might not have been worth the effort!). Or a clean, rust-free car being gutted for a drag race car?

Looking back now, EVERY ONE of those donor vehicles would be somebody's collectible car TODAY. Yet back then, they were "used cars" that were reasonably plentiful and had depreciated in value significantly from their orig MSRP. That was then, this is now, whether we like it or not. LOTS of discussion points about indiscretions many might have made . . . or still make . . . in the vehicle hobby.

My machine shop associate told a story about, back in the early 1980s, that a guy "from the boonies" came in and said something about he was going to cut some cars up for scrap iron. When asked about what he had, he said he had some Ford Tornios and such . . . "one with a snake on the side of it". Other car guys were there that day, too. Eyes got big!! They went for a look-see. That car "with the snake" was bought for scrap iron price and went to a better home and future . . . really quick. To the "cutter", they were just junk cars that he needed off of his property, some with body damage or blown-up engines--he didn't care.

All we can hope is that those "trashed" cars were used to allow other similar vehicles to continue having a good life in the future. "Hot Rodders, the first vehicle recyclers".

Regards,

NTX5467

OK Mike and Homer: Here's my opinion. I stated that as the rest of the world starts to gain wealth there would be a demand for the same old cars that we like. I based my opinion on (evidence and facts as I see) several things that have happened through out the world which are.......the demand for oil, technology, Americana (material items that are reminders of how life was in the United States) and practically anything else that mimics our lifestyle today.

Homer. After thinking about this for a minute why would I or anyone else even need to justify our opinions?

Mike. By calling me a hypocrite and ranting with the comparisons you gave in bold caps no less, I can only get the message you are angry with me. It is creepy.

I'm done with this pissing contest. Mitch.