Pig in a Poke

Guest alexa

I bought what I thought was a 1936 Buick in 1995 and set it on my back lot. I got a tittle for it in 2005 and under notes it says waved vin identification. The title is for a 1936 buick and has a uid of 43219140. I decided to begin working on it today. I looked on this forum in the hope of getting some information on parts etc... What I found is that I may not have a 1936 buick. It looks more like a 1938. Can anyone cross this vid and see what it should look like? Thanks!

I see that they are not on the Division list. I thought we corrected that.

Anyway attached is what I have for their info. Sorry it is a picture so I couldn't just paste in the text.

If you just keep clicking on the photo it will get bigger and bigger until you can actually read it

post-53096-143138123255_thumb.jpg

Ok, I do not have a 36 in spite of what my tittle says. I don't know of a good way to fix this. I have not been able to find any numbers on the car I have anywhere. Where is the vid plate supposed to be? I think my options are limited. I can turn the car in to the local county and bid on it when it comes up for option ( I may not win ). I can put the car up for sale as a parts car ( I hate to, but may do so ) or I can find a rust bucket 38 with a tittle where I can take two cars and make one without great added expense ( may be my best option ). Comments?

I checked on the engine and it has the same number as the tittle 43219140, is that normal, does the vin usually match the engine? The grill horizontal chrome slats are 3 eights inch apart and there are a lot of them. This may be a 1937.

The series number is on a tag on the frame. It's on the passenger side of the frame at the cowl/firewall where the body bolts to the frame. Some times they are covered under years of road grime so you may need a wire brush to clean it off. Also there should also be a aluminum looking tag on the fire wall with numbers on it which will identify the year, series, colors etc. These are all too often missing however. Also located on the passenger side mid-way up the firewall. Oh and my 38 had the serial number stamped in the passenger frame rail just behind the axle hump but it required removing the body to find it.

There are typically ways to title a car without having a title. Here in NC a bond has to be place for the appraised value of the car, but other than that there is not much too it. (that being said the rest of the title process here in NC is a pain). I am sure if you check the WV DMV website there is some info on it. I am sure it is not a big deal.

Best of luck send us some photos!!

Brian

Either way you should join the 36-38 Division of the Buick Club of America. It s a great source for parts and information on all three years of cars.
Is this division the same or different to 1937 and 1938 Buicks - (www.1937and1938Buicks.com) ? Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

1939_buick

It is different. The 36-38 club produced a quarterly magazine and has 125+ members and has no website.

The 37/38 website is just a website with a forum that's all.

I am a member of both the 36-38 club and the 37/38 forum both have their good things.

Edited by 38Buick 80C
spelling (see edit history)

It was not uncommon to use engine numbers for titling on cars in the 30's. My 32 Buick is titled this way. There is no problem with this in transferrring titles in Virginia. 32 Buicks have the car Serial number on the outside of the frame, passenger side, just behind the centerline of the front axle. I don't know how this matches with later years?

Bob

I will post some pictures later today if possible. I am pretty sure I have a 1937 series 40. It has the fast back design I see in some of the 38 pictures, but the grill looks like the 37. It is not a 36 which is on the tittle. I am going to look for serial numbers in the places some of the responders have outlined. Thanks guys.

The engine number on a title was common in a number of jurisdictions, at least until the engine and auto VIN numbers matched and the VIN was placed in an easier location to see.

There should be a frame number on the top of the right front frame rail, as I understand it. They are usually difficult to find and see. Someone who specifically knows the '37 year may be able to better help you out.

Also, some jurisdictions titled cars based on calendar year. So, if this was an early 1937, that was sold in late 1936, that may be why it is titled as a '36. Hopefully our resident numbers man will chime in on your engine number to get an idea as to when it was built.

Edit - Sigh...I hate when I don't notice an additional page of posts....

Edited by Thriller (see edit history)

Well I went out and took some pictures and got them into a file in my computer. How do I get them into a reply on this forum? Thanks!

To upload a picture:

1) Reply to the message.

2) Click on 'Go Advanced'

3) On the to row of your reply box you will see a paper clip. Click on it.

4) The 'Manage Attachments' window will appear.

5) Click on the 'Browse' button for that window.

6) A browse dialog will appear. Browse to the location of the file on your machine.

7) Enter the filename and click on 'Open'

8) From the 'Manage Attachments' window click on 'Upload'.

9) Close the 'Manage Attachments' window.

10) Submit your reply when the message text is complete.

That is about it...

Michael O'Docharty

I am sorry guys, the allowance for a picture is around 19K and my pictures are 2.5 meg, I do not know how to reduce them to get them into the forum. My email is

t777aalexa@yahoo.com. take out the 777 they are there to stop email strippers. I will be happy to email the pictures to anyone who wants to see them.

Thanks! I have reconditioned a couple that made this one look easy. I enjoy the welding and mechanic work. The body work is not all that fun. I have a sandblaster that helps me clean things up. I will check with the state and see that I am not going to have tittle problems before I start. What I have learned here will help in that discussion.

Guest 1937RHDNZ

Hi, Once you have the old girl bolted back together and a bit of paint, it could look something like this. You might want to keep the steering on the other side though. Good luck

post-45230-143138124037_thumb.jpg