Columbia Six cars

Guest keith potter

I worked on one years ago that was a chassies that became a racer mock up because of lack of body parts. It had a 6 cylinder Continental motor in it much like the Veli, and some other makes that were assembled from "off the shelf" drive train components of the era. I remember my friend saying that "Columbia used the best components that were avalible at the time." I am not sure where the car went, and he is no longer with us, so I cannot ask either. If yours is complete and running, you have a very nice, and very rare car indeed. :) Dandy Dave!

Guest Gary Hearn

As an aside, I was thinking about the Columbia make the other day. There was an old barn that fell down near where I grew up and in the mess was a bare frame with Columbia embossed on the pedals. I may need to check to see if it is still there, but it has been 35+ years.

Edited by Gary Hearn (see edit history)

• 7 years later...

While not a Columbia Six, here is a picture of a 1903 Columbia Electric Runabout at the Gilmore Museum in Michigan.

The placard describing the exhibit states that Teddy Roosevelt was the first US President to ride in an automobile, and that vehicle was a 1903 Columbia similar to the one on display.  I’m not sure if this claim is similar to the thousands of homes that claim Abe Lincoln slept here!

I've never slept in a Trump Hotel.

Bob

Columbia_1903_Gilmore.jpg

Edited by Gangster (see edit history)

12 hours ago, mercer09 said:

If Teddy rode in that car, he would have occupied the whole seat.......................!

Perhaps you are thinking of President William Howard Taft as President Roosevelt was not an outsized man. 

18 hours ago, mercer09 said:

If Teddy rode in that car, he would have occupied the whole seat.......................!

Perhaps you are thinking of President William Howard Taft as President Roosevelt was not an outsized man. 

Teddy was quite burley- to put it nicely.

• 4 months later...
Guest Upnorth

Hi Keith, I still have my 1923 Columbia light six. Only use it for pleasure trips these days. Hope you find this post Mick aka up north in the UK

Welcome to AACA forums , Mick !

I see Kieth has had only one posting on AACA , back in 2009. Never came back. As his profile shows him to be only a couple weeks younger than I am , I hope his health has held up well. Since you are new here , I thought you would appreciate pics of my 2 mid-'20s Cadillacs. These are original and unrestored. The '24 7 passenger touring had to endure a repaint (sob - fortunately in original colors) , a very long time before I bought it almost 30 years ago. Good news : the original top and headliner are still intact ! The '27 standard 5 passenger sedan is still in original green paint. It enjoys long distance lone-wolf cruising through the lonely wide open spaces of Western U.S. This is a bit of a broken record to some of the guys around here. You will find a great many Nickel Era car aficionados on the forums. Could you tell us more about your experiences with your Columbia ? Any pics out touring in your incredibly scenic Northlands ? Again , a hearty welcome ! I hope you stick around with us !   - Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Additional trivia (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...
Posted (edited)

IMG_4211.jpeg.14c2623bc60481a85e2bf547557a4310.jpegHi I have my 1923 Columbia Six and still out and about with the old girl. I actually found a picture of my car in “ The James Flood book of historic motoring” and have repainted the car in its bright yellow colours how she was displayed in 1964 in Clare South Australia. Bit bright for the UK but I like her. 47120C2B-6A7D-40B7-BE12-536BD7F06C6C.jpeg.381be366bdbcb33ac4959d81b50290a1.jpegIMG_3872.jpeg.c8f01a3ecdb4167bed5c413958f84e07.jpeg

Edited by Mick aka up north (see edit history)
  • Like 2