Removing a 45-year old registration sticker from a license plate

BadgerRivFan

I'm looking for some help on the best method to remove a 1964 state registration sticker from an old license plate I picked up at a swap meet. I've had a replica 1964 "vanity" plate made for my car, and I'd like to make it look more authentic by adding a state registration sticker. Not to worry, I'm not trying to skirt the law in any way - just having some fun. The vendor I purchased the plate from said I could try heating it up with a blowdryer to try and loosen the adhesive, but he had never actually tried it. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Guest DagoRed

Try lighter fluid, but only after you test it with something similar. I use it all the time to remove pesky labels - much better than the commercial 'Goof-Off' product that is supposed to do the same job.

You very well might destroy it trying to remove it. Before you try to remove it you might make a color photocopy that you can then glue onto the replica plate. Or you might be able to scan it and then you could print it on a color laser printer and have something that would last a while, as well as being something that you could edit if you wished with photo editing software.

I have done what you are asking about when the stickers got about 5 stickers deep. I heated it up with a hot blow dryer and wedged a razor blade beneath it. Most up it came off in one try. If you're careful, you can do it without disturbing the license plate paint. I was then able to apply my new registration sticker.

Keiser31,

I know exactly what you are talking about, but I would still be worried that a 45 year old sticker would be much more fragile than a 5 or so year old sticker.

Guest Bob Call

Here in Oklahoma we have had stickers since the 70's until this year. They are made of a very brittle substance and you will have to be very careful to remove it in one piece. Heat is probably the best. After it is removed from the plate the remaining adhesive can be removed by using vegatable or olive oil. The oil residue can be removed with rubbing alcohol. I would suggest using rubber cement to affix it to your vanity plate.

Good luck with that. They ARE tamper resistant.

I'd laminate it first and use new razor knife blades bare, scrapping slowly, back and forth, trying to get right into the paint.

Or laminate it, then cut the section out leaving a tab to bend 90 and lock in a vice, then grind the steel off the back. Don't let it get hot. But...Well...

We'll be pulling for ya.

Edited by Oxnard Montalvo (see edit history)

Guest Bob Call

The reason the stickers are brittle is the tamper resistant part. After warming it with a hair dryer, use a single edge razor blade to carefully lift it from the plate.

Guest Xprefix28truck

I would get a few other plates to try it on. They can't be that expensive or hard to find. The heating method should work the best.

You very well might destroy it trying to remove it. Before you try to remove it you might make a color photocopy that you can then glue onto the replica plate. Or you might be able to scan it and then you could print it on a color laser printer and have something that would last a while, as well as being something that you could edit if you wished with photo editing software.

Personally I think scanning the original sticker and using a color laser printer to reproduce it should be the first thing to try. This method also allows for more stickers to be printed and used in the future when the current reproduced sticker wears out.

I agree with others here that peeling the original sticker will most likely destroy it. If is is not destroyed, it certainly will be weakened severely and will not hold up well once attached to the new plate. One also risks the chance that new glue used to affix the sticker to the new plate may eat away at the old sticker.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and advice.

I have not attempted to remove the stickers yet, but I have acquired some razor blades and adhesive. I was able to buy 3 old license plates with the stickers that I need, hoping that I could safely remove and reuse 2 of them. The plates were only $2 a piece, so if I destroy the stickers attempting to remove them I am not out much. I will scan one first to see if I can reproduce it, in the event that I ruin all 3 in the process of removal.

I sincerely appreciate the feedback, thanks for taking the time to type a reply.

Guest 500four

boy, if you could figure it out without screwing the sticker all up, you'll have it made! there are guys here in ca that sell those restored stickers for bucks.

• 2 months later...

Matt,

What we did on a couple of our cars is take the item to a graphic arts place, and have them scan the item into a computer and have new stickers made. Once you pay the set-up, you can easily replace the stickers when they start showing signs of wear, and it would allow you to sell extras.

I had that done with some labels on a set of fire extinguishers. It cost me some money, but I can replace those labels whever I want for $10 a piece. Now mind you that we're talking about a label that is about 8 inches wide and 18 inches long that is detailed.

The vinyl material that is available today is better than those old stickers. Dizzy Dale found that out when we tried to put NOS decals on our King Cobra.