ID the year of my great uncle's Rolls Royce please

Guest GP Gleason

Guest GP Gleason

Can any of you ID the year of this Rolls? My great uncle is driving this outside of Washington DC. Photo is dated 1911.

1911.jpg

Hi all,

When this photo is magnified it seems to have a lot of data, which suggests that if GC could scan the badges on the radiator and wheel hub at a high resolution the badges would stand out. Gas lamps so quite early. In view of my steep learning curve on US cars, certainly seems to have REO features.

Kind Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

Attached a picture of an original Reo, 1910. The car shown above is slightly different, with scuttle dash and no question mark rear fenders. That said, I say it is a Reo. Look at the radiator emblem, and the curved line at the bottom of it. Identical to Reo shown in my picture.

post-31482-143138061589_thumb.jpg

Could the previous photo be the "before" picture of this fabulous 1910 Reo I photographed at Charlotte?

The body is different from the car in the initial photo, but the radiator, hood and fenders sure look the same. Note the ridge pattern around the hood in both cars.

Do Lynskey

post-36901-143138061881_thumb.jpg

Hi- no, the picture I posted is an original car, and will stay an original car. The owner is a purist. When he got the engine running, he was careful to leave original grease and oil on the outside of the parts. No restoration as long as he owns it, and it would be a shame to ever restore it. Shiny is nice, but it's only original once, as they say.

Guest GP Gleason

I don't know who wrote "Rolls" on the back of the photo, but I'll have to change it. This hi-res scan tells us. Just don't know what year!

19whatreo.jpg

REO..for Ransom E. Olds. Who also started Oldsmobile first and sold to GM and formed REO after the sale. Just could not stay out of the auto business. Now you know the rest of the story.... grin.gif Dandy Dave!