At what price?

24T42

Since it has been 10 years since I planned a National event, I was wondering if you would give me some idea about current prices? What have you paid recently for -

Host hotel/night?

Banquet prices?

I know that your answer will depend on -

1. - where the event was located, and

2. - was it a tour or car show.

Just out of curiosity, was there a price you just thought too high and so passed on going?

Thanks is advance.

Judy Edwards

1999 Vintage Tour Chair

2009 Vintage Tour Chair

Frankly, I think several tours are becoming overpriced. There is a national tour this summer within easy driving range where I live, but the registration fees are too high for me:

"Registration Fee. This fee includes all activities planned during the week. Included are also hospitality costs (food and drinks), administrative expenses, insurance, dash plaques, tour information, awards, etc. There will be 5 lunches and 2 dinners. A late fee of $25.00 must be added for registrations after May 16, 2009.

"Registration for Driver $253.00 x _________ = $ __________

Additional Registration $193.00 x _________ = $ __________

Children Registration 17 & under $170.00 x _________ = $ __________

Standard roome with two beds are $99 per nite for five nights = $500.00 + hotel taxes.....

For only two people the total cost will be over $1000.00 for five days of touring."

Perhaps the tour leaders do not negotiate pricing with hotels and/or rely too much on hotel catering where hotels typically charge relatively high prices for food and services. I prefer pay-as-you-go tours where I can buy what I want off the menu and order from two or three selections for the awards dinner. I prefer three full days of touring with maybe an evening warm up run on arrival and an optional half day tour on departure day. Five days of touring in pre-1916 cars is fun, but a little goes a long way....

My 2 cents...

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I would say that we definitely going to be competitive. The host hotel rate is $69.95/night plus tax. Each room will have a microwave, refrigerator and you get a free continental breakfast. The hotel even has a guest laundry.

Our banquet is looking to be in the $15-20 price range. This will be an all you can eat Carolina pig-picking with 3 meats, 3 vegetables, bread , tea and dessert.

I know the key to be successful is affordability. Other than Philly, I don't make it to many National events. Most of our attendance is day trips. I just wanted to make sure we were on the right track and it appears that we are.

Mark, you needed to have slipped down to Sonora, CA for their Western Tour(Too late now). The registration fee was only like $108.00 for the 4 day tour. Room rates were very reasonable. Air flight from Richmond Virginia even better at around $318.00. (get them while they're still in business. eek.gif)

At any rate, as the other poster mentioned, having tourers eat on their own for most of these AACA Tours or having picnics can really make a tour affordable, in my opinion.

Wayne

Judy,

You have once again created a winner, but then everything you do seems to have been well planned and thought-out. Affordability has become a more notable factor.

Your 1999 Vintage tour was excellent from location to pricing, to fun factor to your fantastic TOUR BOOK.

Count us IN.

Guest windjamer

Judy im not in to touring,if I was I would say sign me up in a heartbeat.Your tour sounds VARY affordable to me and I must admit being simi retired/retarded Im (I cant spell echonomacal)cheep(cheap-RWB). I think as soon as the hotels find out a group is comeing the price gos up. Hotels in Bufalow for the AGNM averaged $100. a night. The same bed was $69.-$79.the week befor and after. I want to sleep there, I dont want to pay the morgage. $ 40.00 a head for a chicken dinner is to me a little steep. I can have steak the trimings and a beer at outback steakhouse for less than that. Like I said, Im cheep (Cheap-RWB).(cant spell that outher word) just my 2 cents. BTW, I wasted a hundred bucks on the bed in Bufalow. I would have gotten a better nights sleep in the back of my truck.

I've been away from the Forum so I missed making an early comment.

Costs seem high for that VMCCA Tour you mentioned, but we enjoy them anyway. What we look for is a full hookup campground nearby. I hate to drive my house and still have to rent a room. In all our years of touring we find about 15-20% of the tourists come in motor homes. Six nights is a little long without fresh water and a sewer. Sometimes the host will arrange for a pump out mid-week (at our cost) and provide a water tap to refill with fresh H20.

Your Vintage tour sounds good, need a 34 Ford?

Paul,

Unfortunately the Vintage Tour is for cars 1931 and older or else I would yes. smile.gif

In 1999, we lucked out with the RV parking. The 1999 Vintage Tour was also home based in Fuquay-Varina, NC. Across the street from the host hotel there was a vacant lot waiting development. We got permission to park the RV homes there. The Town was nice enough to install a temporary power pole, at their expense, so that power would be available. They brought trash cans so that took care of the garbage issue. But the property had sewer cutoffs so the Town set one up as a dump station. All this at the low cost of nothing to the RVer. I don't we will be that lucky this time as Fuquay has experience an explosion of growth in the last ten years and vacant lots are hard to find. I can't promise anything but we are working on it. It is great to work with a small town that wants you back. For 10 years they have been after us to come.

On Wednesday night, the downtown merchants are blocking off Main Street and providing a free hamburger/hot dog dinner for the tourers. They will have the local Dixieland band performing. In 1999, it was estimated that 6,500 people came to Fuquay to look at the 34 cars that were registered. The police said they hadn't seen that large of a traffic jam in Fuquay ever.

We are making every effort to keep costs down. I would say that at least 80% of the places we will visit will be free of charge. So the only expense will be lunch. Because of the very rural nature of the NC back roads we will be traveling, we most often have to go with a catered lunch. The only food available in most small towns is fast food and none of them can handle the number of tour people involved in lunch. However, you can opt out of the lunch and choose a place for lunch that you would like. In the tour book (instead of written instructions, I do a graphic snapshot of each intersection) I list the food options that you will run across in any day's touring. So finding lunch should not be a problem.

Please check the Brass-Nickel Touring Region web site for updates. I recently posted the information about the host hotel.

Late to the topic, but my .02

I travel the coutry for work and usually stay at Hamptons, Hamptom Inns, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Marriotts, and occasionally a Hilton. Our travel department work deligently to get the best rates - we are also a gov contractor. So we get a good rate but usually get the handicap rooms by the elevator (noisey).

These usually have a breakfest, good parking lot lighting, sometimes security. If you can get a room rate below $100 a night in a big city you are doing good. In smaller towns the price can vary greatly (70's to 90's).

Sorry, can't help on the other costs. I have never been on a tour - heck I can't even make the week club meetings!

The hotel rate sound great. I think it about what the Sentimental Tour including the free breakfast was but I don't think there was a microwave in the rooms.

One thing that gets me is going to a national meet and having to pay to park the trailer. I'm already paying $25 to enter the car in the show, why should I have to lay out another $10 -$25 to park the trailer? That's like having a $50 entry fee.

This was slightly touched on at Philly. The person's comment was more towards that fact AACA is trying to recruit young people (pre-21) but doesn't to much to help the young adults that are through school, and trying to afford a place to live, raise a family, etc. Events are usually priced where they can't afford to attend. I'm one of them. If it wasn't for my parents, I wouldn't be able to attend much of anything. It's be the Spring Meet in Charlotte 'cause it's only 1-1/2 hr away. The awards banquet in Philly I skipped because I can't afford the $40 or so for just 1 meal. Nor could I afford the three night stay by myself.

We (AACA regions & members) need to remember the younger folks with families when planning events. I understand there is only so much you can do to cut costs. One of the main reasons those on the Sentimental Tour got a refund was at the last minute, the Alamance County Tourism folks chipped in and bought everyone's closing dinner. Exhaust every avenue of gaining outside finicanal help.

(Sorry I didn;t intend on writing a book here nor try to hijack the thread.)

I knew it wasn't a true hijack but I did take us on a tangent that some could conceive to be an attempt at it. But I did feel it needed to be brought up.

Judy, how do you do your direction pages for the tour book? I wanted to do something simlar for the Sentimental Tour but ran into time issues that prevented me from trying. (I had thursday's route laid out. a week before the the tour I got a call from a member saying there is now a detour- bridge out. two or three days before the tour I'm out running the route with the detour double checking the directions and find they freshly tarred and graveled one of the roads so it was back to rewritting the instrustions again plus getting the rest of the tour book together. That's why when everyone got thier books there was no Thursday route in it.)

David,

I am not exactly sure what you mean by "... how do you do your direction pages for the tour book? " I am having a dull brain day today.

We had to delay the handing out of tour books by about a hour because we had some last minute changes to one of the routes. (This must be a common problem). I just printed a new page (fortunately the numbering didn't get messed up) and then replaced the bad page. This wasn't easy as the books had already been assembled and were spiral bound. This year, I am going to with a Rollabind system. It lays completely flat and the pages turn 360 degrees. In case of having to change or add pages is a snap to use. Rollabind allows the users to replace, refill, interchange and rearrange pages without the trouble of having to take out other pages in the reorganization process. Yea!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOXp2nD5mE8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOXp2nD5mE8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Did that answer your question?

Wayne,

Glad you liked it. smile.gif It is a pretty slick system of organizing papers. Since I discovered it a few years ago, I use it for all my Ebay stuff, tatting patterns, photo albums, recipes, Board minutes, treasury reports, address books, etc. You can make any size book you want.

It should be perfect for tour books. The true test will be in October on the Vintage Tour.

We would be delighted to have you join us for the Tour. smile.gif We have had a good response so I am hoping it will be a sell-out - at least for a Vintage Tour!

The Brass-Nickel web site is working in Firefox but is down in Explorer. frown.gif I will TRY to fix it tomorrow. Keep you posted on my progress.

• 3 weeks later...