GMC V12

Barry D

Seen pictures of these but never saw one. Saw this on a auction list in Lolo MT so off i went.It was in poor shape but as you see in picture is rebuilt now. I run it about once a month when are Club meets here. On start up it sounds like a big radial. Barr

post-60417-143138048059_thumb.jpg

post-60417-143138048062_thumb.jpg

Most people have not known about or seen this engine is why i posted it. Im sorry you dont like it but the pipes are allmost like GM put on and i like it.2100 RPM not much of a hotrod engine. Enloy it for what it is. Barr

Looks fine to me, Barr.

I saw this engine somewhere else in the last year or two, but it was never set up like the one you posted. I'm aware that these "headers" were setup just to get the engine in a demonstration running condition. wink.gif

Love that distributor, btw! laugh.gif

Wayne

AWESOME PICTURES!

I belive that these were the largest displacement production engines that GM every produced for installation into a car/truck. These came in the BIG GMC's and even some went into the "crackerbox" GMC cabovers (the crackerboxes seem to have a cult following).

VERY NEAT!

Very cool,

When I first saw the Blastolene car, my buddy said that GMC

never made a 12. I remembered it being two big V-6's with a common block but had never seen one in person.I win!

Anybody know what year and model trucks that had this engine? Don't know what I would do with it, but I sure would like to have one.

On the order of General Motors engines, my mind went to Detroit Diesel engines, once owned by GM. I knew that there were V12 diesels around, not sure if any ever got into GMC trucks. I knew they had 8V92's and such.

But, of course we're speaking of Diesel Trucks here. At any rate, I googled the subject and came up with a jewel for Dandy Dave's roadster.

eek.gif Might need a heavy duty frame there Dave.

V12.png

This "little" jewel is brand new. Can be purchased in Texas for a cool $137,900.00

It's a 12V4000, usually meaning 4000 cubic inches, but with this size, who knows. It puts out 2200 HP @ 2,100 RPM. Should lay down a few stripes in the road there, Dave!!! wink.gifgrin.gif

Wayne

Guest Paul Christ

Barr, that's an awesome engine.

I have half of your engine in my truck - it's a GMC V6. More info on the "GMC Twin-Six V12" can be found on the following site (scroll halfway down, while looking on right side of page);

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/

Below is a photo of the GMC V12 and chassis of the Blastolene car. Beautiful.

B-702-d.jpg

Lots of 9500 series GMC Astros in the 70's had 12V71 Detroit diesels. In particular in Canada an 8V71 was good in the west but when you hit Ontario and could run an A or B train they could only average about 45 mph on the run from Winnipeg to Montreal. For $10,000.00 extra you could have the 12V71 and then could average whatever the speed limit was or even more. Some of the trucker managed to average over 75mph on the trip.

Say Wayne, A big engine like that belongs in a pulling Tractor. wink.gif

I remember a gravel bank not far from here had a GMC Dump Truck with a 12V71 Detroit Diesel in it. You could always tell the truck was comming well before you could see it. That two cycle diesel had a very distinct sound. cool.gif Dandy Dave!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2100 RPM not much of a hotrod engine. </div></div>

2100 is a lot more RPM than my 1915 Buick has even when it is wide open. wink.gif

I was thinking more on the lines of a nice big touring roadster than a Hot Rod. Lots of hill climbing power at a low RPM. grin.gif Dandy Dave!

I worked for a private utility company back in the early 80's that had a 12V71 generator set mounted in the bed of an old military 6X6. We used it as an emergency generator in case the electricity went out at one of our pump stations. Fortunately we didn't have to use it often, as it was a hazard to drive with all of that weight mounted so high.. That old GMC 302 automatic could barely pull the thing...

We were located just a couple of miles from the old El Toro Marine Air Station, and one time I called a company to come out and run a load bank on the engine. It desperately needed to have a load put on it to clean it out...

After running it on the load bank for a few minutes, it completely darkened the sky, and in no time at all the Fire Department arrived. They thought for sure a Marine fighter had gone down.. We were not very popular with the fire department, or any of the neighbors for many blocks surrounding out yard....

• 1 month later...