WHAT PARTS ?

Guest Scott Roberts

Guest Scott Roberts

I thought this would make an interesting topic. If you had the opportunity to have parts reproduced for your buick, what parts would you like to see on the market.

Guest DaveCorbin

Rear Bumper gravel shields for Specials and Centuries (small size) and the same for Roadmasters and Limiteds (big size), for all 1936 thru 1939 Buicks. Impossible to find and every Buick of those years is supposed to have one. Easily bent at the first touch to the rear bumper, then taken off and thrown away.

Regards, Dave Corbin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The holy grail of all parts for a 65 Skylark. The steering wheel. </div></div>

Frank McIntrye repopped some steering wheels. I have one, it has to get painted but its very nice!

Frank's Website- steering wheels

I'm sure there are many others,but for me I would vote for a decent hood ornament for the '65 Skylark.I would love to find one for my Gran Sport,but they are few and far between.The re-pop ones that Cars sold looked halfway decent,but the foil stickers tend to fall off.BTW,I have spoken to the man from PA who does the '65 steering wheels and he seems like a decent guy,and his product looks nice.

Guest Scott Roberts

Ok guy's the real reason for this post is for me to get some kind of idea what parts are needed. I am currantly doing the ground work for putting a shop together to reproduce parts, in limited runs or on an individual basis. Areas that I am currently looking at are: sheet metal parts, die cast parts, plastic lenses, and cables. I am interested in any and all imput on the subject. Thank's

Scott,

I suggest you just go to Ebay and see what normal replacement items are going for ridiculous prices because nobody makes new replacements. For example; check out dual ignition points and flying 8 radiator caps for 31 Buicks, dog bone radiator caps for brass era Motometers, door handles, window winders, screw-on hub caps, etc.

There are too many to list here, but I'll bet if you called Bob's Automobilia, and other parts dealers, they could give you a list of items they can no longer get made by "old timer" craftsmen.

I have the lathe and some of the fixtures that Jack Gerstkemper Sr. used to make replacement Buick door handles. Send me a PM if you are interested in the fixtures. I don't have the casting molds, but any good investment foundry could provide the castings if you provide a good original part.

I was just looking through the CARS catalog and saw that they were offering a part that I gave a template for. I dealt with Tim Cox at Quiet Ride Solutions (the manufacturer of firewall insulators) to make me some kick panels out of the same plastic that they make their firewall panels out of. I figured since I was going to drive my car, I wanted the kick panels to be cleanable and not affected by water penetrations which we all have. And I figured they would live up to the "kick" part of their name.

I thought it was kind of neat that I had supplied a part that until that time was unavailable. I think most people in the hobby would feel the same.

Good luck in your endeavor, if I can think of anything you can make for me, I'll send one for you to copy.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Scott:

Reproduce the Buick emblem on the front of 1970 Buicks, but as a heavy diecast piece, not plastic. The originals are right out there in front, easily broken, and always missing. That Buick leads with its nose!!

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Bumper fillers for late 70s Buicks. I know there is a company that makes them and since I can no longer patch up the one on my left rear bumper Im going to have to order a set . But if I could get an original rubber style one as opposed to the fiberglass ones that are made now, Id jump on the chance to buy one