CRT Radio

Guest SwiftBuicks

Guest SwiftBuicks

The radio on my '89 Riv works fine, but I hear some terrible static coming from the driver's side speaker on the dash and the same side speaker in the door. I also think there's some static coming from the other speakers. I guess that this results from a poor ground somewhere. Now, I recently replaced the spark plugs and wires, so it isn't that. The battery is new, too. I was hoping that someone might give me some direction here.

You could be experiencing "generator whine" which can be solved by installing filters inline on the power-supply conductors.

If you think you have a ground problem, I solved a similar problem I was having on another car (primarily evidenced by "popping" noises) by attaching an additional ground wire from the radio chassis to a known good body ground. Quick, easy and cheap.

Guest SwiftBuicks

Well, I'll be checking the speakers and grounds today. Then, if it persists, I'll try some brain surgery. Thanks for the replies. Is there some technical name for the brain?

i got mine at pull a part it was behind the glovebox in a 94 regal.its 8"by 4.25"by 1.75".i was sure i had the right box because it had the antenna hooked to it.it bolts right into my reatta,and the wires plug right in.grab the wires hooked to it too.they can be used to hook an ipod or satelite radio to it.

Technical name (GM speak) for the "brain" is a RIM (no, not a wheel) which is an acronym for Radio Interface Module. Some refer to it as just a radio module or remote radio module, if you are calling and trying to describe it to a salvage yard this may help.

On the 88/89 Reatta and Riviera it is located inside the center console, some cars have it behind the glovebox, and some have it in the trunk mounted either to the antenna bracket above the wheel well or to a carrier "board" behind the rear seat back along with other modules. This latter arrangement is more common in 96 and up models. Usually easy to spot as it has a heat sink for the amplifier transistors visible.

Watch out for unamplified RIM modules that are used in a lot of later Cadillacs and other cars with up-level audio systems (i.e. Bose) as these have all the electronics except the amp and speaker outputs and require outboard amplification to drive the speakers. This type of module will have no heat sink as it has only line level outputs.

KDirk

Guest SwiftBuicks

Thanks for all the information. I haven't got around to working on this yet as I've been tied up with something else. I was in the center console recently when I rewired a new window switch. However, I don't remember seeing anything. By the way, I recently bought the switch with buy-it-now on e-bay for $25 and shipping. It works fine now, but the cover is worn. This switch just went up for sale and bidding. Look how much more you pay for something that looks new.

Is this static present with the engine off?

These remote radios have a nasty habit of intermittent electrolytic capacitors in the output stage causing crackling and 'static'. There are six green 2mfd caps that can be replaced and eliminate this problem.

So it would be nice to help troubleshoot this by narrowing down when this crackling occurs.

Um, there are no dash speakers unless you added some...

Correct terminoligy and/or discription of noises is important in diagnosis. Ignition noise is a constant repititive static that varies in pitch with engine speed. Whine is caused by noise generated by the alternator, and also varies in pitch with engine speed.

Crackling or poping is almost always caused by a defect in the radio (or amps in Bose units).

Guest SwiftBuicks

It's great to have you guys adding your expertise here, but I haven't isolated the difficulty yet. The sound occurs with the engine running and with it off as I remember. However, I will check it again. It comes from all the speakers. There are two OEM tweeters on the dash. I haven't exposed them yet, but the Hanes manual describes how and pictures them. The noise definitely is a crackling with some rather loud cracks or pops coming through. It's intermittent. This allows me to listen to the radio but makes it rather irritating at times. I tried grounding the radio to the chassis yesterday, but that didn't help. I also located the RIM or Brain and the Radio. As I remember the radio also has a heat sink. It lies beside the fuse box forward of the center console while the brain is in the console itself. I didn't see antenna wires coming from the brain, though. They do come from the radio. I removed the tape deck as it isn't functional. I saw one being sold on E-bay recently but didn't bid on it as the bidding had already run to $130. I wasn't cognizant at that time that the original was defunct either. Now, what should I do next?

Guest Bobby Valines

When I first got my reatta Daniel helped me out with my radio. It was making noise like yours is. Bought a amp from you pull $15.00 put it in and worked fine, about 3 months later I was in you pull again and found a amp out of 90 something pick up that looked like it had a equalizer and sure enough it did. The pickups are easy to get to (not sure about the other cars) look at the radio part on the dash for anything that might lead you to believe there's a equalizer in it. Its not a big deal if it don't have a equalizer it still works fine just less things to play with while your driving. Hope this story helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The noise definitely is a crackling with some rather loud cracks or pops coming through. It's intermittent. This allows me to listen to the radio but makes it rather irritating at times.</div></div>I had the same problem. The problem is 6 bad capacitors in the radio module. Easy way to fix is replace the radio module. If you are handy with a soldering iron you can fix it yourself for a few bucks. Detailed instructions with photos on how to do it are here. I got used capacitors at a TV shop for $5.00, installed them myself and since then it has worked great.

Guest SwiftBuicks

First of all, you guys are being rather helpful. I appreciate it. D-a-n-i-e-l, I might start shopping around for the brain at local Fla. junk yards. You stated that I might find one in a Gmc Truck or Park Ave? Was the same unit rather common back then? Nevertheless, I just might buy new if I'm convinced that this is the trouble. Ronnie, I read over and bookmarked your repair link. I must say that soldering circuitry was one skill that I tried but never mastered. However, this job doesn't look all that hard LOL. I may wait until I get back to Ma. before going through with this, though. My passenger doesn't want music or news so we drive silently. I have much better junk yard connections in Eastern Ma. I also have soldering tools there, too. Bobby Valines, I figure the pick-ups are the easiest to cannibalize. My Riv makes it hard as it's in the central console. I don't know what to look for in an equalizer, but will try and obtain a replacement. By the way, does anyone know where I can have my tape player refurbished? Here's a link for one that was being offered for sale.

Swiftbuicks,

What part of MA do you go to (I'm in Weymouth)? BTW, all the junk yards on the north and south shores of eastern MA currently have at least a foot of crusted snow and we're expecting more this Wednesday.

Guest SwiftBuicks

I'm in Central Fla. and will be returning to Ma. in March. Whatever, I ordered the new brain just now on-line. After thinking about all this and taking the old one out, I decided to splurge a little. Of course I'll be rather pissed if the replacement doesn't solve the problem.

Guest steelfoot427

you have bad caps in the radio i'm putting a cap kit together and will post when it when it's done just went to the pick and pull today and picked up a radio out of a 89 regal for 9.99 so there is a way to save money and still have tunes cheap

Guest SwiftBuicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 63viking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could have saved some money and had it fixed for 65 to 75.00 no more. </div></div> Who, pray tell, would fix it for me? I would have wasted more time finding that out. How valuable is your time?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelfoot427</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you have bad caps in the radio </div></div> How do you know? It seems like that's debatable. What are caps?<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelfoot427</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'm putting a cap kit together and will post when it when it's done just went to the pick and pull today and picked up a radio out of a 89 regal for 9.99 so there is a way to save money and still have tunes cheap </div></div> We'll see. Whatever, I don't mind throwing a depressed Michigan business some extra cash and receiving something from it.

Part of the issue is that the capacitors (caps) are very small and there is not much room. The ones I have seen (Rat Shack, etc.) were larger and are much harder to install.

If the kit includes the right size (physical) capacitors, I'd try one.

ps: popping and crackling from the speakers is a classic sign of bad filter capacitors.

I found out the hard (and expensive way) that replacing the speakers is not the answer to eliminating crackling and popping noises, so now I'm looking to replace the radio/brain/amp/equalizer/RIM -- all of which I saw mentioned here, but having never been inside a dashboard, I don't know whether all of the above are the same or different items. I also saw links to the two images shown below. Which of these is the whole enchilada for the 89 Reatta?

post-31407-143138039745_thumb.jpg

post-31407-143138039747_thumb.jpg

a) the second is an original and should have a tag with part number 16072780. First one is later (note different heatsink) and may work though "UL2" was for an export radio

Also I cannot tell one with the graphic equalizer from one without (common in Rivieras) except by the part number

B) will have a hard time finding it in the dash - 88-89 radio module is approximately under the ashtray.

The top picture will work, but no equalizer. The bottom picture is the stock radio w/equalizer. As padgett stated, you can tell by the different heatsink. (Been there, Done that.)

Guest SwiftBuicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The top one will work, but no equalizer. The bottom picture is the stock radio w/equalizer. As padgett stated, you can tell by the different heatsink. (Been there, Done that.) </div></div>NO, NO, NO. The top one pictured in gr8scott's post should have an equalizer. I received my replacement from M & R yesterday. It came in rapid time which tells you how a >>slowing economy<< isn't quite so honest an appraisal of current times as well. It has the same heat sink as the top one and is clearly marked EQ RECEIVER BOX. (I believe the photo used by gr8scott was taken from M & R's website.) I'm there and doing that. Today it goes in with the Tape Deck. I took the deck apart yesterday and then put it back together again. This kind of work sucks, and paying someone else to do it is money well spent. See my other thread about tape decks if interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SwiftBuicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The top one will work, but no equalizer. The bottom picture is the stock radio w/equalizer. As padgett stated, you can tell by the different heatsink. (Been there, Done that.) </div></div>NO, NO, NO. The top one pictured in gr8scott's post should have an equalizer. </div></div> I agree. I replaced the capacitors in my radio and it looked just like the one in the top photo. Mine has the equalizer too.

Guest SwiftBuicks

Well, the replies on the Tape Deck thread have helped in the sense that I won't be putting the deck back until I find out if I can recondition it.

By the time you pay for parts and repairs and shipping it may be nearly as cheap to purchase one here. I guess that would depend on which unit the Reatta uses. Some are more expensive others.

After you go to the link above, can you tell me which of the units displayed there fits the Reatta?

Sorry for the wrong information. When I initially sent my bad radio in, the replacement I received looked identical to the top picture. After installing, I found out there was no equalizer function. Called repair center & they sent out another one, this time with the equalizer. I thought the heatsink was a quick reference to the right radio. Again sorry for the confusion.

MNR has both. I bought this one some time ago (not sure if the picture is of the right model) and it had the equalizer.

The one without is $25 less (under a buck) and will work fine - the display knows about both (suspect the programming is common to Riviera and Reatta - it also has all the programming for the compass. Now there is obsolete technology).