Bouncing Speedometer

Bill Stoneberg

My Speedometer on my 64 Riv bounces and flutters and basically drives me crazy. Its worse at slow speeds like 5 mph, it goes to 0 and pegs the meter so hard, you can hear it click.

I have checked the normal stuff, lubed the speedo cable, moved the odometer reset knob in case that was binding and still no luck. I was talking to an old GM mechaninc and he said that they used to have a tool to oil the innerds of the speedometer. Do you think this would help and would it mess up the electronics of my cruise control ?

Any other suggestions besides taking it out and sending it to be rebuilt ?

Also, by looking at a speedo how can you tewll if it has cruise or is just a speend minder version ? Maybe I will find an old one and get that rebuilt was my thinking.

How hard is it to remove the speedometer ?

Lots of questions I know, thatnks for any help.

On your '64, there will be an auxillary switch for turning the cruise on and off. If there's no switch, you don't have cruise. Is this one of your questions? There's also the cruise stuff under the hood. There is still a first gen cruise set up for sale on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130265481545&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&viewitem=

If you already have cruise and are looking for a new speedometer head, I don't think you can tell with out removing the head.

My dad, a long time old timey Buick mechanic, told me that liquid graphite is the best speedometer lubricant. To me is sounds like your cable is in a bind.

Ed

I know I have Cruise control and it works except for the bouncing speedometer. So If I find a new speedometer to get rebuilt, how can I tell it has cruise ?

I thought it was my cable too but I pulled it out and lubed it and checked it. It seems fine but will look again.

Guest simplyconnected

Sometimes the outer casing wears a groove on the inside, causing the flexible cable to 'dance' (bind) inside. Every speedometer cable I ever saw used a light grease, not a dry lube. The grease stayed-put because of its viscosity.

Anyway, buy a cable assembly and your bouncing problems should go away.

I too would start by purchasing a new speedometer cable. Although this sounds like overkill and may not be the problem, I believe the speedometer is "reacting" to inputs from the cable rather then the speedometer being internally defective.

I hate removing the instruments on the early Rivieras. I always have trouble with the trip meter and getting everything removed and back together without breaking, so I avoid disassembly if possible.

I remember reading speedometer diagnostics for the wavering needle situation years ago. It mentioned taking the cable out of the casing, laying it on a flat bench and then slowly turning it, looking for kinks in the "chain". If it rolled over smoothly, then you usually lubed it and reinstalled it. Graphite was a popular lube back then, but the newer choice is "grease", of which AC-Delco had a special one just for speedo cables.

Where the cable can wear against the inside of the casing can also be an issue and cause the needle wavering issue as the cable can "drag" against the wear part and then "release" after it touches it. The speedometer needle has a "clock spring" which returns it to "0" as the vehicle slows and stops. Not much damping against a cable that is hanging and then releasing against the innards of the cable casing as it turns.

Regards,

NTX5467

• 7 years later...

My 64 would bounce and make noise, particularly when it was cold.  I was able to make it better with lubricant but not completely cure it.  Much of the speedometer can be serviced without taking the dash completely apart.  The cruise/speed minder knob must be removed first.  Just loosen the allen nut and pull off.  There is a tiny fabric washer that is just behind the knob which prevents dust from getting behind the face plate although most of these have disintegrated with age.  Remove the allen nut that holds the face plate on.  This is located on the bottom of the chrome ring.  The face plate is also held in place with metal spring clips but will pull off with no problem.  The speedometer and cruise/speed minder needle will pull straight off.  Pull them by the base to avoid bending the needles.  You can then remove the face of the speedometer and have access to a portion of the mechanism.  If you elect to pull the entire speedometer, don't forget to disconnect the cable as well as the trip odometer cable.

Sometimes the outer casing wears a groove on the inside, causing the flexible cable to 'dance' (bind) inside. Every speedometer cable I ever saw used a light grease, not a dry lube. The grease stayed-put because of its viscosity.

Anyway, buy a cable assembly and your bouncing problems should go away.

This observation re speedo cables and casings is right on

Tom

I just bought one from Rock Auto also.  Mine is not working at all so I'm hoping it's either the cable is bad or the speedo gear on the transmission side.  I really, really, really hope it's not the speedo itself.  do not want to have to tear into that and pull the instrument panel out. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...