Sign in to follow this  
MarkV

1981 Chrysler Imperial Frank Sinatra Edition?

Very interesting, I remember reading something about them some time ago but I always thought that the were mechanical set-ups. The Cosworth also used the Bendix system, that I found very problematic and gave up on trying to get I to run correctly and was lucky enough to find a weber carb set-up two years ago. Those Mopar fuel pumps must be a rather difficult (and pricey) part to come by. Thanks for shareing

The EFI in the DeSoto was indeed electronic. It had a electronic controller that ran off an extra distributor.

The link I included described its operation.

The Mercedes used a Bosch mechanical fuel injection system. It was the first production car to offer direct fuel injection. It's type of fuel injection had been around since the 1920's and was used in aircraft.

It seems I read somewhere about there being less than a couple hand-fulls of the Desoto fuel injected cars ordered. Of these, I believe only two retained the injection system, and both are accounted for. It is zero likelihood that anyone will come upon another. One of those two has an interesting history documented in a popular monthly (probably SIA).

I heard there were a total of 16 EFI Chrysler products built and all were converted to carburetors. One of the factory techs or warranty mechanics saved the complete setup off a 58 DeSoto and put it away in his attic. A few years ago someone bought a 58 DeSoto convertible that had originally been EFI, and bought the EFI setup, restored it and put it back on the car.

1981-83 Imperials are still overlooked and inexpensive in 2015,

just as they were when this thread was started in 2008.

You almost never see them at car shows--and we have

many, many cars shows around here!

Great looking cars, I think--though I can't own

every nice car I see, and reports of less-than-stellar

reliablility tends to scare me away from this and some other models.

I have found this thread, and people's first-hand reports, very informative.