Where can I get cork?

Steve; google for "cork" or cork suppliers. There you will find a couple of mailorder suppliers with cork stock ranging in thickness from 1/8 inch, up to three or four inches in thickness. Some of the cork material listed by these suppliers is also in block form such as 2x3x5. Good luck;

regards; jerry janson

I'll post some photos later, but the float slides up and down on a sort of a track, so the shape is important. There is a brass do-hickey wrapped around the float. It's too hard to describe without a photo.

Wine corks are very easy to find, I have an actual winery as my next-door neighbor smile.gif

Actually it was Crazy Glue (cyanoacrylate glue) that Harold recommended. And, it works with modern gasolines. Just use a belt sander or grinding wheel to make flats on wine corks and glue tem together until you have enough cork to make what you need.

The mechanism you described will require a metal slot at each end of the float and one or two guide rods so the helical twist in the flat metal spindle will cause it to rotate the indicator.

Steve,

I think that the cork stoppers offered by McMaster-Carr will solve your cork material problem. McMaster-Carr does not have a minimum order size.

You can also purchase 4"x8"x3" cork blocks (for floats) from the Restoration Supply Company (RSC) in Escondido, CA. Visit: http://www.restorationstuff.com/

The floats that I have replaced were coated with (as I recall) vanish to seal them.

Grandpa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HarryJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The cork aside.....That is an interesting design to the Franklin sending unit. How does it work??? </div></div>

It's a mechanical thing with the gauge right on the tank. Very simple. There is also a reserve device built in. Harry, your series 11 should have had the same thing.

I'll post another photo tomorrow.

Steve:

I've been told that the varnish was not necessary, but used it anyway on both our '17 Franklin 9A Touring, and our '34 Buick when re-doing the gas tanks.

I found all kinds of cork at a local FISHING / Sporting goods shop, but had just bought some from our local ACE HARDWARE - even less expensive.

Does VFMA and Al Braverman make a connection?

Marty Roth

Aura Vincit

• 1 month later...

Hi Steve

If you buy a bottle of good Australian "Sparkling" wine. remove cork and having enjoyed the wine put the cork in your microwave oven for 15-30 seconds and you will find that its diameter expands remarkably. Watch and hit the stop button when it has reached the required size.

Believe me it works!

oldcar