Help me find a budget hobby car

Matt Harwood

Despite my recent cries of poverty, I have decided that the time has come to find another hobby car, finances be damned. Life is too short to sit by the sidelines. Enough people have asked if I'm going to the BCA Nationals this weekend that I'm tired of saying, "No." It's just no fun to go to the baseball field without a glove. My unhappiness about this situation finally convinced the accounting department to give me the green light for something very modest.

I'm looking for some suggestions and perhaps someone knows someone who knows someone. The car would go to work with me on nice days, drives in the country on weekends, maybe a show or cruise night here and there, nothing big. I don't want to worry about door dings, road debris or the weather. Here's what I've kind of serruptitiously been looking for over the past month or so:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Buick, 1934-38, 1941-1949, preferably with 2 doors (although pre-war, I'll consider 4; post-war, definitely 2).[*]Some kind of pickup truck, pre-1953 or so. A little truck like this would be for Julia: I'd paint a logo on the door and let her drive it to the garden center or light Home Depot stuff. The Big Red Dodge is just too big and too thirsty for a lot of our little errands. It would be a working toy, so a little rough around the edges might be perfect.[*]Do I dare to dream of a 32-36 or 1940 Ford V8? Sure. (It's crazy that garden-variety Fords are getting expensive.)[*]1938-1949 Cadillac of any sort (am I nuts?)

My simple qualifications are:

1) Under $10K (the farther under, the better! laugh.gif )

2) Driveable, usable, presentable right now with little restoration work required.

Things that caught my eye recently:

1941 Buick Super coupe like my father's

1941 Chevy pickup This is Julia's favorite so far.

1952 Ford pickup

1951 Chevy pickup

Things I'm not so interested in (sorry if you love these cars, nothing personal):

Oldsmobile

Pontiac

Chevy cars

Mopar (except maybe trucks)

Are there any other cars or trucks that you think would be a good choice? Let your imaginations run free--you're spending my money. Better still, who do you know with something interesting sitting around? Have you seen anything advertised that you can show me?

Thanks a bunch, guys. I'm really excited about this.

Guest Hinckley

This isn't anywhere on your list but I will pretend that is because you didn't think of it. I have a solid, reliable (driven often), original, odd,relatively rare 1968 Dodge Adventurer for sale. The best I can find in my research is that 8,500 in this series were built that year but since it is a Dodge that does not translate into valuable.

Special to the Adventurer were a brushed aluminum dash, white steering wheel and script. This truck has factory automatic (shift handle in the dash by the radio), orignal working radio, chrome grill and front bumper, power assisted steering, period fog lamps and junior west coast mirrors.

The truck is a kick to drive, scares kids in their pocket rocket cars, is not something you see everyday, and provides mechanics with a challenge. Suffice to say it fits my eccentric personality though I grew up with and prefer the Chevy trucks built before 1955.

I sort of inherited the truck several years ago and it came with a full load of new, used,and NOS parts. Some of this has been used to keep it on the road. Among the junk and odds and ends is almost everything for installation of period ac including a good compressor and Chrysler under dash unit.

The family I obtained the truck from bought it in 1970 in Albuquerque New Mexico so it has been a western truck at least since then. The truck is rust free with the exception of slight rust in the passenger side floor.

In all honesty I have done very little to the truck other than regular maintenance, new brakes and tires. It is driven about 100 miles a month.

Photos of the truck are found throughout my blog - www.route66chronicles.blogspot.com Look for any lables that contain references to Barney or Adventurer. I refer to the truck as Barney since Don Knotts was the celebrity spokesman for these trucks.

I would like to get $3,500 but am open to reasonable offers. The truck is being sold as I am in need of a 4x4 or Jeep for my next job.

Guest John Chapman

Matt,

For unusual and 'interesting' pickups, how about a late 40's - mid 50's Studebaker? There was a model change at 1950, I think. By all accounts, these trucks were well built, bullet proof, are simple to work on, and parts are reasonably plentiful.

Cheers,

JMC

Guest Hinckley

These are very good trucks and if you get one built, I believe, after 1952 there was a small V8 available. With overdrive these tested out to over twenty miles per gallon. I have always thought one of these would be a near perfect match of old and modern practicality.

I'm partial to the Advanced Design vintage Chevy trucks (48-early 55). Parts are plentiful. If you plan to drive it, I would suggest a later model Chevy I6. The early splash-oiled 216s just scare me. The swap I've actually been thinking about is the DOHC Vortec I6 used in the late model Trailblazer and clones. 270 HP, 270 ft-lb, and excellent gas mileage. An other option is the I5 used in the Colorado trucks. GM actually built an AD truck with this engine to showcase the I5. It fits very nicely.

Guest Leonard Shepherd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hinckley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These are very good trucks and if you get one built, I believe, after 1952 there was a small V8 available. With overdrive these tested out to over twenty miles per gallon. I have always thought one of these would be a near perfect match of old and modern practicality. </div></div>

Studebaker didn't put V8s in trucks until 1954. There is a nice 54 Studebaker truck on eBay now, but the BIN is $14,000 but it is a six.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1954-Stud...1QQcmdZViewItem

Guest Hinckley

In years gone by, when the Advance Design trucks were cheap or free, I drove the wheels off dozens of them and feel that they were some of the most attractive, most durable trucks ever built. I never had issues with the 216 but respected its limitations. To make them roadable all that is really needed is a rear end modification. Patricks in Casa Grande offers several options that will work with the torque tube driveline. Moreveover if the 216 is a worry try the old reliable 235

A couple of (relatively inexpensive) off the wall suggestions for a car/truck that has to have some utility:

If you decide to go with a sedan one good choice would be a 1940s era Nash. They are renown for their economy of operation, and are (I think) quite handsome and practical.

Should you decide to go with a truck, the same goes for the first generation Jeep pickups (1947-62) and the related station wagon/Wagoneer. In addition to being a relatively economical alternative to operate, they are anvil simple to repair both mechanically and cosmetically and sip gas (relative to a period V8 truck). Also they are visually distinctive in a way no other pickup is.

My other suggestions would be 1940s Mopars, which you're not interested in.

Have fun looking! smile.gif

Guest John Chapman

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave@Moon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...1940s era Nash. They are renown for their economy of operation, and are (I think) quite handsome and practical. </div></div>

In line with what seems to be a pickup thread, add to the '40s Nash:

Post War 40's Hudsons (pre El Camino, car height)

Late 30's Stude Package Express; International, Willys, Diamond T (rare... and <span style="font-style: italic">way</span> studly).

Pickuptures at: http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/

Cheers,

JMC

Guest Hinckley

The Willys trucks are sliding upward but are still solid deals. My son just sold his 1961 model, a truck that was beyond rough. The primary problem with the pre 1962 models is gearing.

Nash is another great suggestion. They are not overly popular and as a result represent value for the dollar, have great styling, are well built, and are known for economic operation.

It is funny, that I could have almost written your original post on this subject.

It must be a Matt thing.... that is also my name and I am also looking for another antique car.

The first antique car that I ever wanted (and was unable to buy) was a 1937 or 1938 Buick Sedan. After participating in the Sentimental Tour, I realized that to participate in the next upcoming tour in the area, I need a newer car. My 1929 Model A Phaeton is not new enough for the upcoming Founders Tour.

I need something at least as late as 1936, so I have been looking for a few weeks. Preferably a 1938 Buick Sedan, but might consider a few other cars that have interested me over the years. So, if you come across a 1938 Buick Sedan that you don't want, or maybe it is a little over your budget, I am also in the market. My budget will allow up to $15,000. I also have been looking at Cadillacs, so I am crazy too. Good luck in your search. I hope we both find what we are looking for.

Matt, you might look for some of the GMC pickups rather than Chevrolets--probably more GMCs survived due to their better motors. In the GMC inline 6 cylinders, they went from 228 to 270 to 302 cid in the same engine family and physical external dimensions. I have a sneaking suspicion that the GMC motors might have some Buick inline motor design attributes and influence, but have not found anything to prove/disprove that (as the genuine GMC-design engines came about after Buick stopped building the inline engines they had previously used).

Have fun looking!

NTX5467

Matt(s) If it can say "Oldsmobile" instead of "Buick" here is a pretty nice car, from a dealer who usually sells Brit stuff:

http://www.newenglandclassics.com/index.tpl?action=inventory&id=431

Could be an opportunity here, as the car has been available for some time at $13K. Maybe more for Matt Hinson as it is a little different from the "A" - not too different from Matt Harwood's existing project.

Hatt Harwood, what about a postwar flathead Ford? Agree the prewar cars, even in 4-door, for driver level would be tough to find for 10K, but a '48 or '49-50 sedan may be in that range.

Last thought, what about a station wagon - kind of halfway between a car and small truck? We have been thinking about one from the 50s.

Thanks. I'm really looking for a 4 door instead of a two door. Interesting that you mentioned Station Wagons. I am also talking with a guy about a 1976 Ford Wagon. Wagons are another of my potential interests. I might end up going that way.

Based on the advice here, I've expanded my search to include the unusual ones, too: Studebaker, Nash, Hudson, etc. I'd love one of the beautiful '40s Hudson pickups with the car front end.

On eBay there was a '31 Packard coupe in good condition for $9500 (a car I would estimate to be worth $40K). Of course, it was pulled, so it was just too good to be true. Drat.

I also found a 1936 Buick 46S in Hemmings.

I am a huge fan of wagons, but I'd really like to keep it in the 30s and 40s era unless I can find, say, a Buick Cabellero wagon (yeah, right). laugh.gif

Keep 'em coming! I think the searching is almost as fun as the driving.

How does this smell to you? I received this E-mail and it smells more than a little funny to me (return shipping at his expense?!?). Anyone in Portland who can go take a look for me just to be sure? I may tell him I'm flying out to see it in person and see what happens. That usually scares away the scammers.

<span style="font-style: italic">The 1930 PACKARD Model 733 is still for sale. Buy it now price is $9,500. I have attached pics.

About the item: it is in immaculate condition and hasn't been involved in any collision. 23947 miles. All original. Clear title. Comes with the owners manual & all records, receipts.

Is located in Portland and I will ship it from here.

The delivery will take within 3-4 working days (with insurance and 30 days return policy).

As soon as the item arrives, you will test and if it does not matches 100% of your expectations, you will return it in max. 30 days since the arrival date. In this case I will pay the return shipping and insurance fees.

ALSO ABOUT PAYMENT AND SHIPPING I WILL USE ONLY EBAY SO WE CAN BOTH BE PROTECTED!

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TO E-MAIL ME THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

YOUR EBAY USER ID:

FULL NAME:

FULL ADDRESS:

EBAY WILL CONTACT YOU WITH MORE INFO REGARDING SHIPPING AND PAYMENT!

If you agree with my above terms, I'm sure that we can close the deal as soon as possible. I have reserved the item for you until I will have your final answer.

Sincerely,</span>

post-31138-143137992319_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143137992321_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">EBAY WILL CONTACT YOU WITH MORE INFO REGARDING SHIPPING AND PAYMENT!</span>

</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">HUH?!</span> <span style="font-style: italic">That's</span> a new one...since when does the 'bay lift so much as a finger to help out in a sale?

Matt,

I hear quacking in the background; you'd better <span style="font-style: italic">duck</span> out from that "deal," or send an undercover DF team to investigate.

TG

Hi. If you don't have to go classic,a mini truck will hold a Buick T/Type or G/N V6 easly, get 20mpg and haul a trailer or boat very well. My Mitsu.will drag most anything and stop and handle very well.Besides it'a fun and fast.Just an idea. Thanks Bobby.