1958 Limited Four Door Riviera

Smartin

Making me envious as well...also very inspired!

You are big part of why I let my "Might as wells" carry me all the way to a full frame off.

I have no where near the metal/rust work that you have so by watching you I have gained the motivation and the confidence to complete mine the way it should be done.

Keep it up!

I just used a single stage on the firewall. I'll probably go with BC/CC on the rest of the car.

Stevo - it took many many screw-ups and do-overs to get to this point! Thanks, though! I get a kick out of seeing all the other projects moving along, too. It keeps my momentum going. Mike tossed out a challenge of Charlotte to be ready. I'll give it a shot, but I don't think my money tree will keep up with the project :)

Guest Rob J

Just spent the last hour and a half reading through this entire thread.

I have to say you are doing an excellent job on this restoration, and you should be proud of yourself.

I myself am just starting a frame off restoration on a 1965 Riviera GS, so this thread is serving as a huge motivator.

I'll be looking forward to watching your continued success on this great project. Keep up the awesome work.:)

Rob.

Thanks Rob!

I moved the chassis back under the body tonight, so I could get lined up for the body drop...sometime in the next century. Working a lot lately! Not much time for leisure work at home. Not to mention, it's about time for yard work season.

Adam,

I am feeling the same way. Camping season. Selling old camper. Moving cars here and there. Work 6 to 5. Rain,Snow........have to get back in the garage soon. My parts car will be here before I'm ready.

Matt

WOW!!!! I think that is an UNDERSTATEMENT!? Just spent ????? hours reading this thread and my vocabulary fails me! And that doesn't happen very often. I'd have parted the Buick out a long time ago; however, the light at the end of the tunnel ISN'T the freight train or a Mack truck. Fantastic job Martin, to say the least and you'll have a BUtiful BUick when you get it finished! I'll try to post a photo of a local car when I get to see the owner - you'll be somewhat happy that you proceeded with this resto when you are done (and see the photos I'll post). Now I'll have to get out to the shop and take an inventory.....do you want to do some welding on an Acadian Beaumont.....I see that you are definitely qualified!.........

Guest Rob McDonald

WILLYS77, Acadian Beaumont? I think you owe these y'allers an explanation, although we have managed to bring some sophistication to this forum, regarding things Canadian.

Guest gunjeep444

Rob, you are sure doing a great job. NO way would I attempt what you have done. I'm just cleaning mine up some for casual driving. I do admire what you are doing. The next owner of mine can do that!

Guest Rob McDonald

JERRY, why thank you, I'm flattered. However, it's Adam who's doing all this great work. I'm the guy who hasn't advanced his car's restoration since before Adam was born.

Guest Rob McDonald

Speaking of cash infusions, either of you talented chaps interested in a basket-case but almost finished '57 Roady, who's long-time owner desperately needs to buy a Packard?

WILLYS77, Acadian Beaumont? I think you owe these y'allers an explanation, although we have managed to bring some sophistication to this forum, regarding things Canadian.

Gotta love Pontiac...they were really the only ones that did stuff significantly different than the US compatriot in GM. I really like the Beaumonts with 327s...take them south of the border...it gets better the more states south you go...just don't let them force you into a hot rod / custom class at their shows.

Mike...like the Pontiac Laurentian, or Parisienne, it was a Canadian-only model. On top of that, Canadian Pontiacs used Chevrolet underpinnings and drivelines. You should have seen Paul S. when he was up here for the Labour Day tour in 2009 and came across a Parisienne 2+2 convertible...we scraped him up from the puddle of his drool a while later....

Thanks for the explanation Derek, but this was where my joke was headed.

So an explanation ?????? is in order. I don't really know what you want explained; however, a Beaumont was a Model for Canadian Pontiac BUICK GMC Dealers to sell that was introduced in 1962 on the Chevy Nova platform. In 1964 the ACADIAN BEAUMONT was moved up to the A - Body Chevelle platform. It had a different grille, tail lights, dash (more like the Tempest, GTO) and interior as well as trim. Example, while the Chevelle had an aluminum grille, the Beaumont was pot metal. (I'm certainly no expert!). But if you google Acadian Beaumont "Images", you'll be able to see the differences. Also google Canadian Classic Chevelles & Beaumonts.

Also, google Canadian Club -real sophistication! lol :) Now if someone wants to do some trunk pan and quarter panel repair.....

Guest Rob J
The body and chassis are scheduled to be mated tomorrow around 1pm. Woo! I just need to find enough people to help out.

Pics please, we need pics. If I were closer, I'd be glad to lend a hand.

Today was a VERY productive day! I had some help from everyone, it seemed. Family, club members, and friends from several different worlds came out and gave me a hand in the body drop festivities :D

The entire setup had to be scooted over to the center of the garage about 2 feet, so out came the chassis. The body was nearly touching the wall on one side, and there wasn't any way we could squeeze over there.

body_on008.jpg

Body scooted over...chassis goes back in.

body_on007.jpg

Steering is always a challenge.

body_on005.jpg

No action shots...it took everyone we had to maneuver the braces out of the way and carefully lower the body to line up the front mount holes. The firewall is obnoxiously close to the engine in some spots, so we had to be careful not to break the throttle linkage (again).

Woot!

body_on002.jpg

...another obligatory goofball shot...

body_on004.jpg

Special thanks to forum and club member Mike (Cardinal905) for making the trip out to lend a hand. Your help and input is greatly appreciated. I owe you one!

Guest Rob J

Excellent!!!! That chassis is looking REAL NICE!!!!!

So, are you planning on taking the body off again for paint, or are you painting it on the chassis?

Rob.

I just woke up my wife when I saw those photos, especially the goofball shot.

"WOW", I exclaimed! She groaned and rolled over. :)

Fantastic job Adam...I only wish I could do 1/10 of what you do.

It was all I could do to move both cars out of the garage and give it a thorough cleaning today. Finished at 2am. I'm sure the neighbors were happy to hear the tractor driving through the yard and the lights go out!