Recommended cleaner for vinyl top?

What ever you do, DO NOT put a sealer on it!!!

I noticed that my top that was about 8 years old looked a little dull so I sealed it. Within 2 years I had to replace it due to cracking.

I told the top shop about sealing it and they said that is why it cracked. He said they get a lot of jobs from people sealing their tops.

Guest Bluesky636

I use Raggtopp (sp?) cleaner and conditioner (two separate spray bottles) on my vinyl convertible top. It does a nice job and should work on regular vinyl tops too.

Bill,

I've had very good luck with Simple Green and Greased Lightning on vinyl. For a top that old, try Simple Green first, I think it is gentler than GL.

Be sure and do it in the shade; some cleaners can instantly discolor vinyl if the material is hot or in direct sunlight.

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill_Haegele</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Raggtopp (sp?) cleaner and conditioner (two separate spray bottles) on my vinyl convertible top. It does a nice job and should work on regular vinyl tops too. </div></div>

Me too good stuff and can also be purchased through Bill Hirsch.

Guest bkazmer

I strongly recommend you do NOT use Simple Green. If it's wiped on and off, probably no harm, but in the contact testing that automotive plastics require (including vinyls) it is capable of leaving a mark on many of them. I have no axe to grind about this company, but the lab tests have been consistent.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Classof53</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used Colgate Tooth Paste on a 70 White Impala Vinyl top. It came our as white as new. I hust did it last year and I don't believe the top had ever been cleaned. </div></div>

What type and size toothbrush did you use? grin.gif

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bhigdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll probably take some heat for this but comet cleanser and a soft brush works great on oxidized vinyl.......Bob </div></div>

Bob, I used cleanser on a vinyl top and it destroyed it. After so many times it made the vinyl porous and water would go right through it. mad.gif

I've tried a bunch of stuff over the years but by far, my favorite cleaner/protector is Nu-Vinyl. Check it out on Google and try a bottle. You'll never use anything else again. It keeps the original top on my 67 GTO looking like new.

Terry

Classof53,

If you are used to using a toothbrush to clean things, you either went through Marine Corps basic training or were a member of a fraternity in college!

If you used the same tooth brush on your car that you use on your teeth, that would make you a Marine! smile.gif

Cheers,

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are used to using a toothbrush..... </div></div>

And if you are using a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">teeth</span>brush</span> to... confused.gif

Oh, shut up Wayne! crazy.gifsmile.gif

Wayne

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are used to using a toothbrush..... </div></div>

And if you are using a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">teeth</span>brush</span> to... confused.gif

Oh, shut up Wayne! crazy.gifsmile.gif

Wayne </div></div>

The fact that it's called a <span style="font-weight: bold">tooth</span>brush simply means that the device was invented in in the same area "Deliverance" was filmed. If it were invented anywhere else, Joe would be correct in calling it a <span style="font-weight: bold">teeth</span>brush.

Of course, were it invented by a guy who speaks ebonics, it might be called a <span style="font-weight: bold">toof</span>brush.

laugh.gif

Wayne,

But it sure is funny!

If your three-year old has more teeth than you do,

You might be a redneck!

Who Says Rednecks Aren't Real Bright??

"Hello"

"Is This The FBI?"

"Yes"

"What Do You Want?"

"I'm Calling To Report My Neighbor Billy Bob Smith"

"He Is Hiding Marijuana Inside His Firewood"

"Thank You Very Much For The Call Sir"

The Next Day The FBI Agents Descend On Billy Bob's House

They Search The Shed Where The Firewood Is Kept

Using Axes

They Bust Open Every Piece Of Wood

They Find No Marijuana

They Swear At Billy Bob And Leave

The Phone Rings At Billy Bob's House

"Hey Billy Bob!"

"Did The FBI Come?"

"Yeah!"

"Did They Chop Up Your Firewood?"

"Yep"

"Merry Christmas Buddy"

I DID NOT SAY i USED A TOOTH BRUSH. I SAID I USED COLGATE TOOTH PASTE. I USED A HAND BRUSH LIKE DOCTORS USE BEFORE SURGERY. I WAS NOT IN THE MARINES. I WAS IN THE NAVY AND THE MARINE CORP IS A BRANCH OF THE NAVY. AT LEAST I GAVE YOU SOMETHING TO CHAT ABOUT AND THE TOP WAS AS WHITE AS FRESH SNOW.

Guest imported_Brenda Shore

Bill,

I used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on a white vinyl top and it looks like new. Most important ~ it has been a year since I did it and it is still perfect.

Good luck!

Brenda

Guest bkazmer

I worked with both Navy and Marine vets - they had different views of each other's roles. The Navy man claimed that Marines on a ship were for ballast, the Marine claimed that the Navy was there to chauffeur the Marines to work. You pick.