Black or Blue?

Barry Wolk

I asked my friend Shift 507 to Photoshop out the panels on the second door. Here's the original first, and then his first alteration.

752157_1_full.jpg

He made the window full-size but it needed more work so I sent him back to the drawing board.

7521571ua9.jpg

I then asked him to get rid of the coach light and make that panel stainless steel.

7521572dh4.jpg

The window lacked definition so I asked him to frame it in brightwork, like the other windows. Now we're getting somewhere.

7521573vg8.jpg

In an attempt to make him totally crazy I asked him to get rid of the vinyl top.

7521575tb2.jpg

Then I asked him to repaint the car black and the blue of my Mark II.

7521576pd8.jpg

7521577qf9.jpg

The final touch was the addition of the Lincoln Mark V turbine wheels. Is it better in blue or black?

7521576wjz9.jpg

7521577wsx5.jpg

Thanks again Shift!

Well...

Knowing that the color of your Mk II looks a lot different than what shows up here, it's hard to say. Based on what I see here, though, I'd go black.

I'm trying to imagine the car in the color of your Mk II, and knowing that it's really a wonderful, soft color, I couldn't say for sure that the limo wouldn't look good in it as well.

For color, the blue is too bright for this type of vehicle. A few shades darker blue or just go black. As for the stainless panel, I think it breaks-up the side too much. I liked the black panel version and even the coach light. But I do note that the addition of the stainless trim added to the mid-section window does make the stainless panel work. The turbine wheels are fine.

Chris

So your'r saying that by the time you take that all off you don't want to put it back on?

And I forgot, you already have a maroon car, right?

Anyway, I just don't really care for the black or that blue. Now the deep blue of the Mark II, that I might like. I sure do like that car and color.

Actually, I have two other maroon cars, the '55 Porsche and the '69 Mark III convertible.

Overwhelmingly, other places I've posed this question, have voted for black, until I posted a picture of the Mark II. The highest number of compliments I get on the Mark II is on it's color. Women seem to be partial to it. So am I. Must be my feminine side. smile.gif

Much as I love your Continental, Barry, I gotta vote for a dark color on the limo. If you really want blue, perhaps a very dark blue that looks black under most conditions. It's a formal car, it needs a formal color. One gets driven in the limo, one <span style="font-style: italic">drives</span> the Continental.

PS: Can I see a picture of your Mark III convertible? That sounds cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barry

Who made the MkIII convertible? What a great compliment to the MkII. Now all you need is the original Edsel Ford designed convertible from 1940-41, and you've got yourself a world-class trilogy of personal luxury!!! </div></div>

A guy named Buzz DeClerk made it about 25 years ago. It has an LTD top mechanism and quarter windows.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt Harwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, I'd much rather have than than an Eldo convertible of the same vintage. The Mark IIIs were great looking cars. Can't wait to see it done! </div></div>

The '69 Caddy ragtops were the "DeVille" line rather than the Eldorado line. Before '69 the "Eldorado" was a trim option. After it was a different model (FWD).

I figured that a '69 Mark III and a '71 Eldo were roughly of the same "vintage," give or take. They still made Mark IIIs in '71, anyway.

I should have said that since both cars were built around the time I was born, I still like this Mark III more than a comparable Eldo convertible.

You old guys are sure picky. smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Wolk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The highest number of compliments I get on the Mark II is on it's color.</div></div>

That car in that color is like looking at James Bond in a tux. It's just HOT!!!!

Guest AntarcticDave

Barry, as partial as I am to blue, I tend to like the black version best. If you went with blue, maybe something like this 41 Cadillac antoinette blue

9006_2e.jpg

This color shows blue in sunlight, black under dim lighting.

Dave

I know it is not one of the posted choices but I remember Lincolns of this era also came in a pale yellow that I can't help but think would look great on this car. White is too much like a modern wedding-mobile, but the yellow could work...

Have you considered a light color?

The final product. It will no longer be a 6-door limo. Color is still undecided. Some of those that have seen my Mark II in person think the limo would be knockout in that color but the majority of people on this and other sites have weighed heavily towards black.

The door shell in the second opening will be welded in place. The new, one piece skin will attached to the fixed door frame and extend from the front of the rear door to the rear of the front door.

I thought about how we'd be using it. The original intention was to be able to be driven around in luxury once we get too old to see well at night. It was originally a joke, but now that we're in our mid-50s it's not so funny anymore.

Now that the body design is set I can start thinking about the interior. The front I'll do in black leather regardless of the final color. In the back I'd like to do a mixture of '30s limousine with some very comfortable seating for two. I'm trying to decide if those two seats should be front- or rear-facing?

I remember riding in the back of my parent's station wagon facing rearward. I rather enjoyed that.

7521576wgwppt8.jpg

Forward facing would usually be more comfortable for most adults. I also had fun looking out of the rear window of my parent's station wagon when I was young, but now I prefer to see where I am going.

• 1 month later...

I've been on a black-on-black jag lately. I saw a 300SL Mercedes that was black with black wheels and blackwall tires that looked brutal. A lot of Pebble Beach cars seem to be going back to basic black with blackwall tires. I'm really digging it, even to the point that I'm considering painting the Century all black with black wheels and blackwall tires with red leather. Nah, that body is really made for 2-tone and whitewalls.

Anyway, back to the point. I think a black limo with dark windows and blackwall tires might look incredibly sinister. You'd certainly get noticed at least as much as with blue. If that Mercedes were cream with red interior, people would say, "Oh, what a pretty little car." When I saw that all-black piece, all I thought was, "Holy sh*t."