What is Your Wife's Involvement in your Old Car Hobby?

Guest BJM

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old 52</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my wife wishes i had stuck with 1:25 scale instead of going to 1:1 scale. the only time she will ride in the olds , is if i am taking her to a nice restaurant......mike </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">BINGO! </span>

That's what I was waiting for!!

Yep, that's my wife. After 40 years of marriage I guess I can't expect her to change. It's not her thing and I don't force her. Although, she went to the Buffalo & Flint Buick nationals with me. She did alot of reading while I was busy with the cars. What really amazes me is the wifes that go to the swap meets and walk around with their husbands. I give you gals alot of credit. Last year while at the Carlisle Chrysler nationals, there was an announcement made that a couple were going to get married there. Now that's breaking her in the right way!

Guest imported_jmarsicano

Skyking- You and I are in the same boat...

My love loves it when I sell things, because then I have money...

She isn't very happy when I buy things, because then I have no money...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old 52</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the only time she will ride in the olds , is if i am taking her to a nice restaurant......mike </div></div>

The way to a woman's heart is through the door of a good restaurant. smile.gif

The way to a man's heart is through his chest. smirk.gifgrin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What really amazes me is the wifes that go to the swap meets and walk around with their husbands. I give you gals alot of credit.</div></div>

Thanks Skyking. Bill and I have been going to Hershey, and a few other swap meets, since about 1982 or 1983 every year. I have walked every field every day with him. I have helped look for parts and even bought a $30 "restored" Radio Flyer wagon to haul a $1 tire for the 1939 Dodge when he couldn't carry it any further. (Why is it that such items are always purchased at the furthest spot from where your vehicle is parked?) That wagon has now been to many swap meets. He laughed when I got it but he doesn't laugh anymore.

My best find was the exactly correct NOS running boards that we needed for that 1939 Dodge. I stood guard over them while he went to get the book to verify they were the right ones and bring the cash to pay for them.

And for me this has not been easy for about ten years. I have a condition in both feet that causes the tendons to be inflamed most of the time. I should own stock in Nuprin. wink.gif Wearing the shoes called Crocs has helped a lot.

You're a trooper Susan. My wife has arthritis in both big toes and has had bone reduction surgery but she's in her element at the shows. Many of the Concour are on hilly golf courses and public gardens. She sees every car at least twice, and judges every one of them. Actually, I usually end up staying by her car while she hikes around. At Meadow Brook she went back to look at a Type-1 E-type and as soon as she disappeared they showed up with a blue ribbon.

I give both of you a lot of credit.

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shop Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks Skyking. Bill and I have been going to Hershey, and a few other swap meets, since about 1982 or 1983 every year.

</div></div>

WOW!! Susan, You definitely deserve more than "alot of credit"!

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmarsicano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

She isn't very happy when I buy things, because then I have no money...

</div></div>

Yes, all decisions on buying my old cars was always mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW!! Susan, You definitely deserve more than "alot of credit"! </div></div>

I'd settle for a great foot massage at the end of each day. smile.gif

Guest Steve_Heald

Great thread, but now the guys are starting to get in trouble here. Suggestions such as room renovations and foot massages are giving our ladies ideas. After all, they should keep this in mind: our cars are "investments" from which both spouses can receive benefit. (Well at least it sounds good). Seriously, I for one take my wife's participation too much for granted, so an occasional house project or foot massage is a small price to pay.

Thanks to those who posted kind words about us. Pamela and I are looking forward to see our friends in Philly next month. (Please don't ask how our bathroom project is going).

-Steve.

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shop Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'd settle for a great foot massage at the end of each day. smile.gif </div></div>

Hummmmmm, if I spend alot of time in the garage on a restoration like I am now, my wife gets back at me by doing odd jobs around the house. There's a price to pay when you're also a handyman. cry.gif

I for one take my wife's participation too much for granted, so an occasional house project or foot massage is a small price to pay.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Small price indeed. My wife`s involvement is so intense, from helping out on the sanding, to dismanteling engines, hunting at swap meets, polishing cars at the show....we ended up getting her her very OWN 1965 Mustang. We have documented proof that we are the second owner. She also helps out restoring old gas pumps & Coke machines!</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Heald</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

our cars are "investments" from which both spouses can receive benefit. (Well at least it sounds good).

-Steve. </div></div>Actually, only two antique cars we've owned have we ever 'made' money on when we sold it. All the rest we wound up taking a beating when sold. That probably explains why we no longer sell what we get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old gto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="color: #3333FF">Small price indeed. My wife`s involvement is so intense, from helping out on the sanding, to dismanteling engines, hunting at swap meets, polishing cars at the show....we ended up getting her her very OWN 1965 Mustang. We have documented proof that we are the second owner. She also helps out restoring old gas pumps & Coke machines!</span> </div></div>Your a good man! Pat yourself on the back for doing so good!! grin.gif

Sky-

I, too, love the swap meet aspect. Sometimes hubby & I will start at opposite ends & meet towards the middle. I usually have a good idea of what shop items he needs, so I buy what I know are good deals & take down spot numbers for anything thats a 'maybe' or 'interesting'. Since he restores carburetors, I especially look for 'parts' donors. He says I have chewed up vendors so good that he doesn't know just how I get some of 'em for as cheap as I do - he says he's afraid of getting beaten for being that 'cheap'. Difference is he doesn't see it as a challenge, I do! grin.gif

Besides, at some of the auto swap meets I have found just as many neato things for ME as for HIM! (another 'challenge')

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously, I for one take my wife's participation too much for granted, so an occasional house project or foot massage is a small price to pay. </div></div>

I wouldn't think you'd take her for granted after I had followed you from the show field to trailer parking in Binghamton. At first I couldn't figure it out. She stuck her arm out the side of the car, after a second I realized your car was right hand drive and she was signaling which way you were suppose to be heading.

Hello everyone....... Bryan's wife here "Christine". What my husband failed to mention is, I have done my best to get involved. I have been Secretary/Treasurer of one of the car clubs we belonged to for 2 straight years. I have been to several shows.

I have walked around viewing cars in 100 degree weather in Dallas, Tx a couple of years ago and never complained. I enjoy the people and talking to them at the banquets and I am always hopeful that we will someday be accepting an award from one of our COMPLETED cars.

We had a '64 Buick wildcat convertible, that I loved, but he sold it and didn't ask me if I cared. I rebuilt an alternator on his Toronado, when we first got married 10 years ago, but he sold that one too! I will fall in love with these cars then he sells them. Cars are supposed to be like your "babies" right? I couldn't sell my baby. He knows I have always liked the '72 Buick Skylark converts..... maybe I will take some of your ideas and get me one.......oh but wait...... 3 car heated garage is already full. I love my husband and have pushed and pulled many of cars in our 10 years of marriage (even done it pregnant) Now, come on isn't that LOVE? I am happy that he has an interesting hobby but I enjoy working on my artsy, fartsy stuff, and chatting with the ladies and chasing our little girl. Gentleman, I know I have seen some of your cars and Love them! Honey, I know you will read this so, please know I support you and your hobby. Just not really into changing oil and getting down dirt like you enjoy doing!

Thanks you guys for sharing and you ladies that are more involved then me! It was fun to hear how thing really are....... smile.gif Good night, got to put the little one to bed! Christine Moran

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please don't ask how our bathroom project is going</div></div>Speaking of bathrooms, when my dad and I bought that Bronco while we were attending the AGNM in Northglenn, the wives <span style="font-style: italic">weren't happy at all</span>. We didn't find ourselves in the bathroom, we found ourselves in the outhouse. whistle.gifwhistle.gifwhistle.gif

Needless to say my mom hasn't missed an AGNM since, and this year the wife is coming too. I got a feeling that if my dad and I buy another car it is going to have to be a hearse. If we haul another car home, the wives are going to kill us both, and with a hearse they'll have something to haul us off to the graveyard while cutting down on the funeral expenses at the same time. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

And no I have no desire to own a hearse, not even if it was an Oldsmobile smirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gif

Now see, your wife and mother are going about this all backward. When you and your dad want a new project, since you two seem to finish the ones that you start, they should be telling you to go for it.

Then, when they want something along the same line....... wink.gifgrin.gif

(Disclaimer: This DOES NOT apply to you guys that have a list of unfinished projects a mile long. crazy.gif)

Guest Debby Soucia

A hearse, love it. I have been looking for one as I would love to be able to take it out on Halloween for some fun and also to regular shows.

The bathroom, ours took two years to finish as "car season" came in the middle!:):)

Deby

I've always wanted a hearse! Ha ha! I have as sick a sense a humor as David! Figured I'd put a skeleton in back, & get a vanity tag that said 'MEAT WGN' (I know, gross!). crazy.gif

I'd also settle for an old ambulance, especially if it were either a old Caddy or DeSoto. I'd just have to figure out what bank to rob to get enough funds<span style="font-weight: bold">...</span>

Guest Debby Soucia

Novaman,

me too. I always wanted to have a coffin that you could open the door of the car and have it come out only a little ways and then open partly! I know I am bad!

Also have it open in a show and have it moan and wiggle!

That waving is some thing I never thought of thats sounds like fun too.

Deby

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd also settle for an old ambulance </div></div>

Okay, now you're grossing me out. sick.gif There's only one ambualnce I'd ever have, early 70's Caddy as National Ambulance out of Rochester ,NY.

Dead people ride in hearses, people who are leaking fluids ride in ambulances. I'd always have the creepy wondering thoughts of did I get it all cleaned out of there? uck sick.gif

My wife writes the checks and [usually] turns a blind eye to the amount in the dollar box.

They don't come much better than that...

Speaking of hearses, I owned a '74 Cadillac Miller Meteor hearse in college. Put a couch, a recliner and a coffee table in back for road trips (which were slow with a 3/4-ton pickup rear end under it with 4.11 gears). Great for tailgating, too, and I made a killing at Halloween parking it outside fraternity parties. It came with a half-dozen of those purple funeral flags, so I'd hand them out to friends and we'd run some red lights. Good times, good times.

Best hearse memory? One of my buddies got hurt playing hockey. We loaded him up in the back of the hearse and rushed him over to the hospital and pulled up out front. A few minutes later, a sleepy-looking orderly came out and asked, "Dropping off or picking up?"

Nice.

My first car was a 1961 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Hearse. We bought it just before I turned 16 years old and I kept it until I joined the Volunteer Rescue Squad at age 18. It would not have looked very good responding to the scene in that vehicle. blush.gif

Very versatile vehicle... lots of great sick jokes I could tell...Unbelievable true stories that I could tell.... grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: novaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd also settle for an old ambulance </div></div>

Okay, now you're grossing me out. sick.gif There's only one ambualnce I'd ever have, early 70's Caddy as National Ambulance out of Rochester ,NY.

</div></div>As a matter of fact I saw one of those at a show I went too. Man who owned it also worked at a funeral home (I wasn't surprised). It still had the bubble light on top & the period siren (sounded like a cat swung around by the tail) still worked. I asked him if he ever lit it up in town, & he said he wouldn't (not like that car would be inconspicuous). But he did tell a tale of when he picked up a friend from the airport one evening in it & when they got out of town limits into the country turned on the lights & siren & did about 90 the rest of the way home grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A hearse, love it. I have been looking for one as I would love to be able to take it out on Halloween for some fun and also to regular shows</div></div>There was an Oldsmobile hearse that sat for sale in front of the AACA National Headquarters for quite a while that was in really nice shape. I have no idea who owned the thing, but I felt that it was parked there to signify the recent death of Oldsmobile!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

All kidding aside, the car was there and it was for sale. Being an Oldsmobile, it would definately be an odd duck to have in your collection, but I don't think it would be any more of an oddity than the guy who had it for sale. whistle.gifwhistle.gifwhistle.gif

The good part of owning that vehicle is that it would provide you the means to pick up 'a cold one' when the mood strikes you... sick.gifsick.gifsick.gif

When my wife and I got married, she ran a museum that hosted an antique car show every year. Last February, she enjoyed driving to Wetaskiwin with me so I could attend an antique auto restoration workshop at the country's largest car museum. It was a two-day drive north from where we live in Idaho.

Kathy spent a couple of days looking around the Reynolds-Alberta Museum, and watching Canadian TV back at the B & B while I took classes. She even braved the 30-inch deep snow to go looking at antique cars & tractors with me in a field full of them, nearby, when it was below zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> There was an Oldsmobile hearse that sat for sale in front of the AACA National Headquarters for quite a while that was in really nice shape. I have no idea who owned the thing, but I felt that it was parked there to signify the recent death of Oldsmobile!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

All kidding aside, the car was there and it was for sale. Being an Oldsmobile, it would definately be an odd duck to have in your collection, but I don't think it would be any more of an oddity than the guy who had it for sale. whistle.gifwhistle.gifwhistle.gif

The good part of owning that vehicle is that it would provide you the means to pick up 'a cold one' when the mood strikes you... sick.gifsick.gifsick.gif </div></div>Well, I DO own an Olds....And if it were equipped with the 455, it could haul more than just one cold one! sick.gifsick.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The good part of owning that vehicle is that it would provide you the means to pick up 'a cold one' when the mood strikes you... sick.gifsick.gifsick.gif </div></div>

Help!!!! I was laughing so hard I fell off of my chair and I can't get up. crazy.gifgrin.gif

<span style="color: #3333FF">Speaking of hearses....anybody ever see the movie "Harold & Maude"? He restores an old Caddy hearse, then his mom has it towed away & buys him a Jaguar. He takes a blow torch to it, and builds a neat looking Jag hearse, LOL! </span>

2268905Jag-Hearse.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a great coach for small pet funerals.</div></div>Nope, it's for midgets. The good thing is if you get your final ride to the cemetery in that, they only charge your loved ones half price. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Mack_CT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wives - I would be concerned at the direction this thread is taking.

grin.gif </div></div>

Not if they have the same twisted sense of humor we have in our family. crazy.gifgrin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wives - I would be concerned at the direction this thread is taking.</div></div>That's my fault. When the topic of wives and the old car hobby, I mentioned how I had better buy a hearse for my next vehicle, because if my dad and I do buy anything else, my mother and my wife will most likely kill us both, and there will be a need for such vehicle.

Since then, this post has been heading to the cemetery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wives - I would be concerned at the direction this thread is taking.</div></div>That's my fault. When the topic of wives and the old car hobby, I mentioned how I had better buy a hearse for my next vehicle, because if my dad and I do buy anything else, my mother and my wife will most likely kill us both, and there will be a need for such vehicle.

Since then, this post has been heading to the cemetery. </div></div>And chances are either Shop Rat or I will be behind the wheel! crazy.giflaugh.gif Be careful back there, we'll probably do some donuts along the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moepar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And chances are either Shop Rat or I will be behind the wheel! crazy.giflaugh.gif Be careful back there, we'll probably do some donuts along the way. </div></div>

Do coffins come with five-point safety harnesses? whistle.gifgrin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do coffins come with five-point safety harnesses? </div></div>If you're going to <span style="font-weight: bold">crash and burn</span>, do it before the funeral so that you can cut down on the costs at the mortuary and go straight to cremation.