Parts in the House

Guest wildcat62

Guest wildcat62

So, an interesting debate came up today regarding keeping car parts in the house. <span style="font-weight: bold">Someone</span> pointed out to me that I ought not to keep them inside. whistle.gif

I've had a pair of tail light lenses for my Wildcat sitting inside for 6 years now. Various Riviera trim pieces are still only 2-2 1/2 years, including side moulding for the boattail. (hey it's only 5 feet!)

Now, I know there are plenty of other nuts on here. I want to know who else has this problem and how long you've been hoarding inside rather than putting them in the garage/pole barn/storage/etc.?

I figure there's got to be others like me who find this perfectly acceptable! smile.gif

Guest imported_MrEarl

Fortunatly I have sufficient room (as of this posting) in the barn loft for most of my parts. But I do keep my 1970 to present Bugle collection under the bed filed neatly away in bankers boxes.

Guest imported_Thriller

I have more parts in the basement (and a few in the loft) than are in the garage. Fortunately (?) most of them are on shelves, some even in labeled boxes shocked.gif

I have some of my prized and expensive 1915 Buick spare parts, Hub caps, Ignition parts, ect, and literature stored and locked in my grandmothers china cabinet. shocked.gif After all, one of these parts or books are worth a lot more than the whole cabinet full of nickel and dime glass from flea markets. wink.gif

The first woman to come around here and tell me to empty it so she can fill it with a lot of trashey glass is going to get a fast education or get kicked out the door. smirk.gif Of course that would depend on if she stopped to listen or her mouth kept running after the education. whistle.gif

When a set of points average $75 and a distributor cap can cost as much as $300 these very rare, small, and easy to misplace parts just are not getting stored in the garage or barn. grin.gif Dave!

When I do a car the seats and interior parts are usually finished before the car is ready for the interior. That means the spare bed room is filled with seats, door panels, rugs, etc etc to keep them clean, dry, and away from mice. No complaints but I know my wife is happy to see them go..........Bob

Ah! About 2 years ago I found an old shell of a '32, so I have got it dismmatled. Right now the engine is in the garage being dismantled, when warm weather permits. Fwenders and rear end are in the back yard and covered and somewhat shielded by shrubs (also hiding the pool filter/heater/pump. I have a raised back porch which provdes me with about 180 sq. ft. for springs, still some body parts to be disassembled for the window and door pieces There is more but I cannot remember what (guess I better take an inventory soon). The problem it is only 2' high.

Eventually, the saved parts will be refurbished and put into proper storage for spares. For some reason that process is slowed by cold weather in the winter and car shows, etc in the summer. I need a 5th season for car work.

I have some basement space for the small expensive stuff.

John

Besides the two sets of seats, and one set of rugs in the attic, I have a set of interior door and rear quarter panels in the master bedroom next to "her" dresser. I couldn't get them under the bed because of her cross stitching and craft stuff.

The sad thing is neither her stuff nor mine has moved in a very long time. This summer I hope to get those things in the car.

Guest Sheldon Rody

The chrome plater finished everything early, so all the parts went under the bed. Then I put all the stainless mouldings under the sofa. Was really glad it was a 4dr as the mouldings were shorter. All this necessary as the attic was full of boxes of the literature collection. My wife keeps the manuels and catalogues for her car in her clothes closset.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't keep parts inside. Its the best climate controlled area I have.

I can post lots of pictures to show creative ways to store parts in virtually every room of the house at one time or another.

I think the only part of the 47 76C that didn't spend time in the house would be the engine and frame.Keep in mind this was a 10 year project so some pieces spent the better part of that 10 years in the house.

The 58 Caballero has been in the house in parts... cleaned and refurbished, now back on the car.

Whoever told you not to store car parts in the house needs immediate medical attention... they are not thinking straight.

As long as you can walk through your house! I mean, not an obsession type of hoarding that I've witnessed. Like five or six complete grilles,a used transmission, etc. That's where it gets to be a problem or a sickness. I have my rechromed bumpers in the basement, the rest of the parts in the garage.

When the reconstruction of my Buick begins, I imagine that the new arrival parts will be stored in the basement until installed.

If there were not parts in the house, it would not be my house. But the only parts seem to be in the living room, grilles and special stuff that could be broken. Then the laundry room where they make to boxes marked garage or basement. I don't have anything under my bed, but in the guest room, I think there might be a vinyl top for the '68 GS350, that's probably been there for going on 20 years, but that about it other than some box of hot wheels, and some other buick small stuff.

But the basement is pretty much full, some of you remember my comments about the basement being the Buick Dungeon, segregated by year, and by engine parts, front garage and back garage also full of parts and cars, but it's mine all mine and I don't have to share, unless someone needs something, I don't need, then it's off to that special Buick person, for their BUICK!

Guest Mr. Solutions

With the exception of the frame, drive train and body, everything else was at one point stored in bedroom 2 of a 2 bedroom apartment. Along with a freezer, 2 bicycles, a 1964 British Seagull outboard etc. etc. Not to mention my wine / beer making gear!

Since them I have moved it all into the basement of my new place, and I honestly wonder how I managed to get it all into one room at one point in time! OK, so there is a big difference - I can actually get to anything easily without taking everything out first! And I get to charge visitors 25c to visit the Buick Museum...

The good news is that I am finally at the point where it can all be placed back on the beast. Frame is done. Drive train is done. Body et al is at the painters. Upholstery is being done. The beast should be fully drivable by summer!!!!!!!! 5+ years & counting: short by some standards!

Johan

Guest imported_Thriller

If that's the case Johan, perhaps we should meet up this summer in Wetaskiwin...we'll be visiting Edmonton at the beginning of July to celebrate mother-in-law's 65th birthday.