• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 dasher

dasher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:01 AM

I have just bought a 1936 Airflow tanker but it is missing a lot of parts. It had been wrecked in the right front fender door area. The truck is missing the front clip, motor/transmission, grille, axle. Amyone with any information would be helpful alot. Thanks

#2 Guest_BJM_*

Guest_BJM_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:11 PM

Dasher,

The website refers to Airflow cars by Chrysler built between 1934 and 1937. I believe you have a camper or such? That's why no reponse.

#3 BillP

BillP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:07 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3Jakes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dasher,

The website refers to Airflow cars </div></div>

If so, they're missing out on a great version of the airflow. Tanker is a streamlined fuel tanker, not a camper. They are rare and extremely interesting.

#4 Willys77

Willys77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:00 AM

Never knew Chrysler made an AIRFLOW TANKER - sure wouldn't mind having one, though! {Or even Part of One!} See the latest Club Magazine, right?
1933~36 Willys Trucks; Cars; Deliverys; Parts; 1940~42 Cab Over Engine Panel Delivery; Dealership Items & Literature "Always Wanted!".

1938~1960 METRO by International Wanted, EH.

#5 elmo39

elmo39

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:33 AM

Airflow tankers were made from 1934 -1940 and are very rare. i think they were all badged as Dodges and were powered by a 331 cubic inch six. There is a restored one (i think it is a 1934-5 )in Bill Richardson's Truck Museum in Invercargill, New Zealand, which is reputed to be the largest collection of its type in the world, there is more than 170 trucks representing 50 manufacturers. the airflow truck was imported by the museum and restored in there workshop in Texaco colors

#6 JohnArthurSpinks

JohnArthurSpinks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:29 AM

Dasher,
How would you like to post a photo of the Airflow Tanker that you have just purchased.
Yes they do exist and besides the one in the museum in NZ a few others exist also.
We would very much like to see what you have.
Cheers
John Spinks
Aussie C9 Airflow Coupe

#7 Povertycove

Povertycove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:18 AM

The Airflow Club has a great deal of info on these Airflow tankers. The Oct. 2001 issue of the Newsletter reprints a Hemmings Special Interest Autos article, crediting Texaco for coming up with the idea in 1931. The first Airflow truck came out of the Dodge plant in in Dec., 1934. A number of these are still in around, and have been restored by club members.

#8 gordie

gordie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:05 AM

If any of you are around the Detroit area there is a beautifully restored Airflow tanker in the Henry Ford museum

#9 mrpushbutton

mrpushbutton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

There is an even better restoration in the Chrysler Historical collection, it actually runs!, unfortunately it is too big to fit inside the Chrysler museum.
John

The real pity in America is that the people who really know how to run the country are all tending bar and cutting hair--George Burns

#10 Willys77

Willys77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:03 PM

Well with these various Airflow Tankers around, it sure would be nice if someone could post a photo or two or share a link so that we all could see one! I'd be happy if one of you guys could post either a photo of either the Ford, Chrysler or New Zealand Airflow Tankers! Thank very much!
1933~36 Willys Trucks; Cars; Deliverys; Parts; 1940~42 Cab Over Engine Panel Delivery; Dealership Items & Literature "Always Wanted!".

#11 JohnArthurSpinks

JohnArthurSpinks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:26 PM

Willys77,
I would post a few photos of an Airflow Tanker if I could work out how to do it!!!
Cheers
John Spinks

#12 mrpushbutton

mrpushbutton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:16 PM

There! are you happy?

Attached Thumbnails

• 24145.jpg
  • 24144.jpg

John

The real pity in America is that the people who really know how to run the country are all tending bar and cutting hair--George Burns

#13 JohnArthurSpinks

JohnArthurSpinks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:29 AM

Thank you for the photos.
I have others but still cannot post them.
Tis' a pity,
Regards
John Spinks

#14 mrpushbutton

mrpushbutton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:14 AM

why not? it's easy
click on the "Switch to Full reply screen"
put your text in the box, then go to the box below and click on "File manager", click on the "browse" button, select your picture you want to post and click on the photo yu want to post, click on "open" in your photo server, then click on "add file" when it has finished click on "done adding files" and thats it, you are posting pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• 24252.jpg

John

#15 JohnArthurSpinks

JohnArthurSpinks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:57 AM

Thank you for that, here goes
Regards
John S

Attached Thumbnails

• 24259.jpg
  • 24258.jpg
  • 24257.jpg

#16 JohnArthurSpinks

JohnArthurSpinks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:02 AM

Here is another photo of the Airflow Tanker.
Cheers
John S

Attached Thumbnails

• 24260.jpg

#17 Willys77

Willys77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:02 PM

Mahalo John, for posting the Airflow Tanker Photos! If anyone has any other photos to post of Airflow Tankers, in whatever condition, I'd certainly appreciate it! Regards, Tom

#18 DizzyDale

DizzyDale

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:11 PM

This gets my vote for the BEST lookin BIG truck on the PLANET.diz

#19 Guest_BJM_*

Guest_BJM_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:08 PM

I must agree, and take back my comments "that you must have some kind of camper". Imentioned that since there have been Airflow campers around for years.

Is that truck not the best looking commercial vehicle ever? Especially in profile, you can easily see the stream lining and there appears to be no compromise - look at the back shots provided by Mr. Spinks.

Art Deco execution in the finest. Consider yourself lucky to have purchased one. They would be a fun restoration I would thinks. Red sets off the obviously purposeful styling, where darker colors would not.

Thanks to all for posting the photos. I had no idea...

#20 JohnArthurSpinks

JohnArthurSpinks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:14 PM

Bryan,
The photos were compliments of Mr Jon Clulow who emailed them to me some time ago and yes I agree 100% that the Airflow Tankers were the ultimate in design during the early part of this century.
Tis a pity that a few more have not been preserved.
Regards and comments and compliments greatfully accepted.
Regards
John Spinks
Aussie Airflow Coupe Down Under

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users