Photo help wanted 1914 Humberette

Hi

This is my first post on the forum. I have recently become the owner of a 1914 water cooled Humberette that had been in barn storage from 1926 until 1995. The owner had bought the car in 1922. Unfortunately, the interior and hood had been thrown away by the deceased last owners children as they thought the by were bits were rubbish! Can anybody help me with photos of the leather interior and hood for these cars.

Hoping somebody can help me

Regards

Mike

1914 Humberette as found in 1995.jpg

1914 Humberette in 7-2018.jpg

Hi Leif

Thank you for the link. I have already searched the internet. Unfortunately, although I have got an idea of what the interior looks like from some of the photos on the net,  I was hoping to find an owner of a Humberette that could take some good interior shots of their car and maybe some measurements. Thanks anyway for coming back to me.

Best regards

Mike

• Thanks 1

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/humber/humberette/humber-humberette-in-tandridge-surrey-united-kingdom/309740/ad

There is one for sale currently by a dealer in the UK Gavin McGuire.  there are a lot of detailed photos on his advertisement.

I also found a sales brochure on-line.  You can view the entire catalog as a PDF.

http://www.barnstormers.co.nz/646/1914-humber-sales-catalogue/

You might also want to post something on Prewarcar.com asking for assistance.

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

If you can't find an exact vehicle for use as a sample consider approaching the interior as those patterns and techniques used in that period. The few pics I saw showed tufted leather. As for the hood, the lack of louvers may make this easier for a panel fabricator. The vehicle on classiccarratings.com seemed to provide some info to follow.

My bad using "hood" in the wrong sense. Should have known. Suggest making a prototype "hood" or top out of scrap material.

Edited by Friartuck (see edit history)

I think "hood" means top.   A "hood in the USA is a Bonnet in proper English ( in the UK).  The rumble seat is a "dickey" and the distributor is a "dizzy,"  a wrench is a "spanner" and Gasolne is "petrol."  Don't forget to check you nearside and offside mirrors either.

Terry

And don't forget Terry, what they call a "boot" is what we call the "trunk".  Two nations separated by a common language.

I have always been fascinated by English automobiles. Humberette built some really interesting models from early and for quite a few years!

Hi All,

Many thanks for your all your suggestions. Yes, I am from North Norfolk in the United Kingdom and we do speak a different language to you lot on the other side of the pond. Please excuse my mistake with the 'hood' yes I meant 'top'. That I believe would have been made of canvas and held up on three wooden hoops (I have probably got these names wrong as well!) The ends of the these wooden 'hoops' are still attached to the metal brackets that bolt to the side of the body. I am making a steamer to enable me to bend the wooden hoops.

I also have a 1903 Crestmobile that I have used on the London to Brighton run in 2012. I had always wanted a veteran car since my dad took me to the start of the annual run when I was 8-years old. The run that we did was the year that we had torrential rain, flooded roads and we got soaked, it took us 6 hours 20 minutes to complete the run. Since then I have not bothered to enter the run again as it does not seem a challenge any more, also it becomes a rather expensive weekend.

Sorry, I digress, back to the Humberette. I have looked on Gavin McGuire's website. The Humber he has for sale is a larger more expensive model of Humber. The Humberette was a cheaper lighter car with a V-twin engine. They had an option in 1914 of paying extra for a water cooled V-twin engine and my car has this engine.

I have been in touch with the various clubs and the Veteran Car Club of Great Britain is going to put my quest for information in the August club magazine. In the past the club used to have a booklet with all the members names and contact details, but now with our 'nanny state' they are not allowed to divulge names and details of members.

I'll try Prewar Car. Thanks for reminding me of them.

Terry – I noticed your photo was of an MG. Last year I finished a 1000 hour restoration and build of a 3.9 litre V8 fuel injected MGB. For the UK MG Car Club V8 Register I did rebuild reports, hints and tips that ran into 161 Reports. The reports can be seen at:

http://www.v8register.net/profileV8RebuildMacartney.htm

Thanks again for your support.

Best regards

Mike Macartney

We in NZ also have bonnets, hoods, boots, mudguards and windscreens. Some of the writers still have wings but nearside and offside are not commonly used.

There are one or two Humberettes in NZ too. You could write to the Vintage Car Club magazine ("Beaded Wheels") editor and your letter could be published in the magazine.

http://vcc.org.nz/beaded-wheels-magazine/

Glad to hear we exported the words bonnets, hoods, boots, mudguards and windscreens to NZ. I try and get car enthusiasts to use LH and RH rather than nearside (NS) and offside (OS). In the 70's a friend with another accident repair shop ordered £1,000 worth of parts for a Ferrari and they sent the other side to what he actually wanted. Ferrari would not credit him for the parts and he had to spend a another £1k to get the correct side parts. In those day £1k was a lot of money.

DavidMc has kindly given me a contact in Australia with a Humberette of the same year as mine. If I can't find the information I need from him I will certainly give 'Beaded Wheels' a try. Thank you for your help.

Mike