1925 Chrysler 58 exhaust silencer

HI,

I have to make an exhaust silencer on my 1925 Chrysler 58 with a 4 cylinder 185 cui engine. The original has not survived at all and I do not know how to do the inner part. Partitions, inner tubes with holes, or otherwise. Does anyone have a photo or a plan, how can I do that?
Thank you

marbeton

Is this any help?

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler3.htm

image.png.1053f4458973e1f038a1fc62e810b56a.png

Here is another "technical" web site about it:

https://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories/exhaust/understanding-muffler-design-and-sound-absorption-strategies/

There are a few helpful web sites. I asked "What is inside a car muffler?"

I have a "straight through" muffler on my 1939 Studebaker. At the time (1970s?) it was called a "Cooper S" muffler, which meant it made a nice burble. I think my 1930 Dodge 8 also has a "straight through" muffler on it although I didn't put it there.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

2 hours ago, marbeton said:

Unfortunately, in my country there are light trucks on diesel only and there is a exhaust silencer inside a definitely different design than the gasoline engine.

Thank you

marbeton

I don't know what the difference is, and why a muffler made for a diesel engine won't work with a gas engine. I agree it would be best to have the original muffler but if that is not available I don't know why a truck muffler won't work.

I did not suggest a car muffler because modern cars have a very different design of engine, chassis and muffler. A 4 cylinder diesel truck would be closer to the Chrysler in engine size, revs, etc.

Thanks to all for your help. My neighbor is renovating the 1930s Plymouth 30U and he could have an old muffler as a pattern to make him the original one. The plan and the video helped me a lot, but according to the original pictures, the muffler is probably "straight through" .

Your muffler (silenter) would not be straight through but set up with baffles. 

This is one example.

The exhaust enters hits the center barrier and builds up a slight pressure   before entering the outer chambers.

Each chamber reduces the pressure spikes made when the cylinders fire. 

Your unit would have been about 24 inches by 5 1/2 inches  or about 3/4 M X 140 MM

002.JPG

• Like 1