1966-1967 Comets? Where did they go?

Vintageaut

I just purchased a 1967 Comet Caliente Convertible. The car is in great shape and I plan to do a few things to it...drive it for the summer and then take it to Fall Hershey for sale. what I have found is that these cars are VERY Scarce, parts are kinda difficult to find and the prices of those I have found aren't very encouraging for resale......Most are less than 1/2 of their Fairlane counterparts and they are basically the same car. Mercury only built 1539 Caliente Convertibles! This car is RARE! and it will be priced consistant with its Fairlane Cousins in October. But, my question remains.....Where did the 66-67 Comets disappear to? Thanks for any comments.

33173108_1025915930917553_4929848932197990400_n.jpg

S5000390.JPG

S5000392.JPG

Edited by Bernie Wentker (see edit history)

Not sure why, but I never saw very many '66-'67 Comets when I was a kid. For some reason, the Mercurys were not big sellers as noted by your stated production numbers. Maybe they were too high priced for basically the same car as the Fairlane?

• Like 1

We've had a great deal of success selling Comets and Falcons lately, particularly the Comets. Most have disappeared within a few weeks with multiple suitors. The most recent, a Lime Gold '65 Comet hardtop, was a mostly original car with the usual hot-rod upgrades, and while it sat longer than the rest, we sold it over the winter in the mid-$20s. I'm finding that they're hot right now because Mustangs are getting expensive. Since yours is a V8 car, that's a big plus, although the '67s aren't as popular as the '66s simply from a styling standpoint. The color isn't exciting, but it is correct. I'd lose the dated '70s wheels and do a factory styled steel wheel instead--that will make a bigger difference than you realize. I might also install a correct air cleaner assembly and painted valve covers just to make it look a bit more stock under the hood. The goofy hot-rod parts rarely help values and the right parts are cheap and easy to install, so you can maximize value there. People will often object to non-stock parts and use it as a reason not to buy, but few buyers object to factory stuff. Here are the three Comets we recently sold, plus two Falcons, all for about $25,000 (the first car, the black '65 Comet, sold for almost $40K!).

007.JPG.c0cb4844d4dfeb3d228a878bfc8cbd3f.JPG 007.JPG.72d212669f4f4ac17f60a54ba8f7c21e.JPG 007.JPG.1dcbed02398c988fbfd811ffd62fdbae.JPG 007.JPG.59d81854e816c8b682b273cff10f99f3.JPG 07.JPG.671b726726767cce38424ed138e4af1c.JPG

Edited by Matt Harwood
Wrong year--thanks, Keiser! (see edit history)

Ours was a red GT convertible with a white interior.  The previous owner had taken the 390 out and put a 289 in it.  Great car, but when we sold it, it went to Memphis, TN and got a 427 put in it.  The guy that bought it had a big boat sales place you could see from the interstate. All this back in 88 or 89 I believe.  So, that's where one went !  Yours looks great !

• Like 1

Thanks for that info Matt. I've already started changing the engine compartment around. I have some stock valve covers and I'm looking for an air cleaner. 

I have bought Magnum 500s and new tires...just picked them up yesterday. So, the project is moving forward. Where is your shop?

Bernie

20180604_194505.jpg

20180604_195013.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mcdarrunt said:

If you find a yellow 1967 Mercury Comet Cyclone GT with a 427 engine a phone call could bring you 10 grand IF it's the one stolen from me in 1980. I WILL KNOW THE CAR.

Where was it stolen?

I did take a photo of a yellow '67 on the West Coast in 1997 or so.  I'll have to look when I get home to see if it was a Cyclone or not.

Craig

8E45E

It was stolen from a storage facility in Richardson, Texas. It may not be yellow anymore but there were very few made with the 427 engine and it has a couple modifications that look factory and would be very hard to reverse. Thanks for checking.

I had a 67 Caliente that one early spring morning pulling away from the curb making a hard left, the frame gave away were it attached to the fire wall.  The left side went first, within a second the right side dropped. Ten years in Minnesota was it's demise.

• Like 1