Spring Carlisle

greenie

Attended the first day (Wednesday) of 2018 Spring Carlisle. Weather was a bit brisk at 8am, warming to a balmy 53 by 2pm. Wednesday is setup day and many vendors are yet to arrive; but there was plenty to see. A surprising array of antique parts for sale including many pre-war selections. Scattered among the flea market are several AACA award winning cars now for sale. Thursday’s weather may take a step back but Friday looks promising. Check out the view from Mount Carlisle. 

5CE222EB-EFDD-4185-92CC-40DBEBB88722.jpeg

On Tuesday, there were snow flurries in the 

air in south-central Pennsylvania.  They didn't 

stick much to the ground, however.

This has been one of the coldest springs I remember,

with temperatures often 20 degrees below average.

Spring weather is always variable, but this year's has

been almost consistently cold.

It has been "The Spring that Hasn't Come!"

I was there yesterday with my dad. I think we went a day too early, there weren't that many dealers setup. We didn't find any parts for ours cars, but I did pick up a nice KD valve spring compressor and a Matco seal driver set. There were a handful of nice prewar cars for sale, at least two were still wearing their AACA badges. I hope everyone is staying dry, the forecast for the rest of the show is not great.

Saturday’s nice weather brought out a large crowd at Carlisle. My son and I attended the Porsche swap meet at Hershey and then dropped in at Carlisle at about 10am. There was actually a traffic jam on Route 11. Perhaps the chilly start to the weekend kept folks at home until the low 50’s brought them out. We bought a headlight for a ‘46 Chevy truck at the Porsche gathering; and a bunch of Karmann Ghia parts at Carlisle. Go figure!

30499380-4D0F-4020-9D78-BC0B93D6D1E4.jpeg

Are the trees usually leafed out by now in Carlisle?  They look like they are still getting ready to.  

I know Rhinebeck in a few weeks usually has the leaves all out on the trees and we are right behind them.  This year I noticed the pussy willows out front are just starting to pop.  That usually happens in March. 

Doesn't look like there was any T shirt weather there this year. 

No leaves yet, been too cold even here in southern PA.  That should change this week as temps get closer to seasonal.  Haven’t seen to many old cars or motorcycles around either as we have had snow flying around some days.  Today would have been great weather for a swap meet.

We where there on sat . Little chilly in the morning . Found a couple nice things ,  spare tire lock for my 32 chevy . A vender that deals in MG parts , got some good parts for Angelica ,s 72 MGB plus so good info . Real nice set of plates for the 1916 Overland we are doing in the shop . Got to talk to a couple good friends . Kings32

Am pleased to hear people are finding parts there again.  I've not been back in years as it was seriously in decline - all T-shirt and Taiwan tool vendors along with beanie babies and yard-sale junk.  I heard they even dispensed with the $500 per space transfer fee to help get more vendors in .  Did I see an ad somewhere where they were opening up an entire section for crafts and ladies beauty products?  My lady thinks grease under her fingernails are a beauty product (especially if it's MG grease)!   Maybe I'll give it a try again someday.

Terry

20 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Are the trees usually leafed out by now in Carlisle?  They look like they are still getting ready to.  

In south-central Penna., the leaves are almost

always fully out by the first of May.  They emerge

rather suddenly, because 2 weeks before that date

they show little greenery and one would think

that they would never meet their deadline.

This spring has been unusually cold, and I think nature

is significantly behind schedule.  We'll see--