Still alive; need ideas

Been a while, eh?  Yes, I am still alive, but the biggest news is I am no longer in IL!

A friend & I moved to southern OR 01/04/2018, but 2.5 months into the move, we are still looking for a place to call home (apartment, motor home, trailer, house).  So, if you have any connections in the Grants Pass-Central Point-Medford-Ashland areas who may be able to assist us, we would greatly appreciate it.  Neither of us want to give up, despite increasing pressures, stress & expenses.

Meantime, since I last visited, I posted pics from the 2017 Cruise Nights I hosted at Beef Villa in S Elgin IL:
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/ocsh-info/ocsh-cruise-nights/

&, I have published a few sporadic posts the last few months on the home page; planning a new entry sometime soon with pictures I have taken here in Oregon:
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/

What is new with you!?

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 03 MGM & 81mc + 86 Mustang
"We can take anything that comes our way" | BJ Thomas | 'As Long As We Got Each Other (Growing Pains)'

• Like 2

15 hours ago, keiser31 said:

There is a house right next to me for rent in Phoenix, Oregon....1/2 way between Medford and Ashland.

That is exactly the House I would want because of the parade of neat cars that pass by Keisers house !

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I am moving to the area also, on Sunday. I had to rent a furnished apartment and get on a waitlist for a condo. I will be able to move into the condo on 6/15. I plan to get to know the area better before moving into a house. 

I found Zillow a good place to look for rentals. There are a couple property management companies that have most of the rentals. If you are in the market to buy, let me know. I will be a sales manager for a title company in Medford, Ashland and Grants Pass, and I could get you some references for Realtors who work hard for their clients from the escrow staff. 

• Thanks 1

On March 23, 2018 at 2:58 PM, keiser31 said:

There is a house right next to me for rent in Phoenix, Oregon....1/2 way between Medford and Ashland.

I whole-heartily echo what Mike wrote ... LOL.  As for the house next to you, do you have more details about it?  Who should I contact?  (Sending you a private message with my cell phone # to text me; thank you!)

On March 24, 2018 at 7:58 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

Good luck on escaping Illinois. Will miss you ex- neighbor.

Thank you!  Very sorry we weren't able to meet up before I left.  If I ever visit, hopefully we can meet up, if you want.

On March 24, 2018 at 8:39 PM, victorialynn2 said:

I am moving to the area also, on Sunday. I had to rent a furnished apartment and get on a waitlist for a condo. I will be able to move into the condo on 6/15. I plan to get to know the area better before moving into a house. 

I found Zillow a good place to look for rentals. There are a couple property management companies that have most of the rentals. If you are in the market to buy, let me know. I will be a sales manager for a title company in Medford, Ashland and Grants Pass, and I could get you some references for Realtors who work hard for their clients from the escrow staff. 

SWEET!  Glad you will be here, too.  We've gotten to know the area fairly well, particularly by exploring.  Enjoyed it so far.  We originally were with my Uncle & his wife, but as we found out later, they have a pattern of "kicking people out" ... something we hadn't been told about prior to moving.  *bites tongue*

My friend has been looking at Zillow, too, & we've applied for some through there.

As for buying, we have been talking about doing just that ... a few people have told us they found their mortgage payments to be less than paying rent.  So, yes, let me know when you get here & we can meet & talk references, etc.  I'll send you a private note with my cell phone # to text me.  THANK YOU!

Gorgeous area here in southern Oregon (like MANY other places across the United States) & pics do not do it justice.  But, I hope to have a new post soon on www.oldcarsstronghearts.com with many photos I have taken so far.

While I apologize for not including more detail about what all we HAVE looked into so far, I purposefully kept it vague because I did not want to limit brainstorming (tho, we are already thinking outside-the-box).  So, yes, we have checked Craiglist, local ads, local newspapers, area businesses, etc., & reached out to Mennonite Your Way (no response yet) & other similar organizations.

At this point, we are hoping networking will help.  I have always said (given experiences during my 2002-2011 road trips) we are more connected than we know.  My favorite small-world story of that type is when I met a guy I had known for a few years in Oklahoma City OK in 2006 & (long story short) found out he had been taught by my grandfather in a rural OK High School.  Every connection helps.

"A dead end street is just a place to turn around" | Wynonna | 'Rock Bottom'

There is a pretty good dirt track over in White City. You might have to look up a schedule locally.

There is a drag strip on the same complex as well as go cart racing and I am pretty sure I saw a gun range out there too.

Bring your ear plugs.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2018 at 10:39 PM, victorialynn2 said:

Hi Vic! Are you sure you will like an apartment? No garage to clean out!!! LOL. I would buy you a plane ticket as mine severely needs attention. Please bring Keiser with you as working over a pot of coffee with the two of you sounds like a great time. Would also be interesting to see if neat old cars drive by while he’s here! Hope you enjoy your new location.

• Like 3

It’s a temporary, furnished place. In June I will have a condo with a garage for the 57 Ford and I’m sure I will have a storage unit as well. 

My days of garage cleaning are almost over I hope! 8000 sf for my dad, and I still have to clean out my 2 car garage this month. Thanks for the offer though. ? I’m sure it would have been fun with Keiser. Truth be told, I’m simply moving to see all these old cars he shows us down there! ?

• Like 2

On 3/27/2018 at 9:03 AM, JACK M said:

There is a pretty good dirt track over in White City. You might have to look up a schedule locally.

There is a drag strip on the same complex as well as go cart racing and I am pretty sure I saw a gun range out there too.

Bring your ear plugs.

Something tells me you’ve raced there a few times?

On 3/27/2018 at 9:03 AM, JACK M said:

Bring your ear plugs.

Do NOT sit at the southwest corner of the dirt track unless you like to wear brown clods of dirt....

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On March 27, 2018 at 9:03 AM, JACK M said:

Bring your ear plugs.

Thanks for the tip, Jack!  I was over in White City last week to see a movie, actually, lol.  I wanted to see 'I Can Only Imagine' & found a late-afternoon matinee for only $4!

I will definitely check out that dirt track, tho.  My goodness, I sure miss the 1 that was in Freeport IL.  Watched a friend's cousins race there many a weekend.

On March 28, 2018 at 11:57 AM, victorialynn2 said:

It’s a temporary, furnished place. In June I will have a condo with a garage for the 57 Ford and I’m sure I will have a storage unit as well. 

My days of garage cleaning are almost over I hope! 8000 sf for my dad, and I still have to clean out my 2 car garage this month. Thanks for the offer though. ? I’m sure it would have been fun with Keiser. Truth be told, I’m simply moving to see all these old cars he shows us down there! ?

I can't wait to see those old cars, too, my goodness mercy me.  Glad you will have a condo in June!  Hopefully we can meet up, if you'd like.

On March 28, 2018 at 12:39 PM, keiser31 said:

Do NOT sit at the southwest corner of the dirt track unless you like to wear brown clods of dirt....

Hmmm ... would sure enjoy going there with you sometime, if that is a possibility.  You could show me around, if you want.

The last 2 days have featured awesome weather in southern OR, & I took advantage both late afternoons by walking ~45-60 minutes on a section of Bear Creek Greenway, starting at a park at I-5 Exit 21.  Snapped some photos & took a video which will be included when I write a post (might schedule several entries) on www.oldcarsstronghearts.com for the photos & videos I have taken since January, some of which I have uploaded to my personal Facebook page, globally so they can be seen whether you are on FB or not.

Anyway, since I last visited, made a few connections, but so far, still no place.  IF we cannot find a place within the next few weeks, I may consider road tripping for a little while!  Anyone want a visit if I start driving?

Yes, I have a job.  I continue working remotely as the Part-Time Office Manager for a home appraiser in the Elgin IL area, planning to go to Full-Time later this year; I want to get off Medicaid when I can afford my own healthcare policy.  *rolls eyes*  Luckily, I have other income options to check out, but meantime, I will withdraw funds from my IRA to pay some bills since expenses keep increasing.

Right now, to save money on renting a car (currently a yellow Dodge charger at a very low rate), I am trying to decide if I should buy a 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis here for $1,000 or spend nearly $2,000 to have my beloved 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS shipped to southern OR.  Decisions decisions decisions.

Peace.

"I'm gonna ride on the silver lining" | FFH | '1 Of These Days'

Not to hijack,,,, but....

I recently sold my dirt late model. Not really sellers remorse but I kinda miss the thrill of the race.

I have an old Valiant that I built several years ago for a geezer class that didn't really take off. (drivers over 50)

A good friend of mine has organized a NW traveling class that this Valiant would fit into. Its called "Iron Giants" I think.

Anyway, I started gathering up 360 parts as the Valiant  needs an engine. I am pretty sure I have everything else I need to make it go again.

I don't have a schedule for this class but I am pretty sure they will race in Medford (White City) at least once during the season maybe more.

I will post if I am going to make it.

Lots going on in my life so finding time to do all of this will be difficult. But that rush of the race is a good motivator.

If I do show up down there I will most likely need a pit crew. So I will be looking for a bunch of old guys (and young gals) that can at least change a tire. LOL

Knight, if you guys get up this way I can brew us up a pot.

56 SS 009.jpg

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 4/12/2018 at 8:52 AM, JACK M said:

Not to hijack,,,, but....

I recently sold my dirt late model. Not really sellers remorse but I kinda miss the thrill of the race.

I have an old Valiant that I built several years ago for a geezer class that didn't really take off. (drivers over 50)

A good friend of mine has organized a NW traveling class that this Valiant would fit into. Its called "Iron Giants" I think.

Anyway, I started gathering up 360 parts as the Valiant  needs an engine. I am pretty sure I have everything else I need to make it go again.

I don't have a schedule for this class but I am pretty sure they will race in Medford (White City) at least once during the season maybe more.

I will post if I am going to make it.

Lots going on in my life so finding time to do all of this will be difficult. But that rush of the race is a good motivator.

If I do show up down there I will most likely need a pit crew. So I will be looking for a bunch of old guys (and young gals) that can at least change a tire. LOL

56 SS 009.jpg

I’d love to see if if you come down. I’m not an old guy or a young girl, so I will have to be a spectator. ? Be safe!

• Like 1

If you are not locked into Oregon, some folks move to Southern Washington, just across the river from Oregon. Oregon has INCOME TAX, and Washington does not. Oregon has no sales tax Washington does. So the trick is to live in Washington and make your major purchases in Oregon. I have a friend that did this very same thing moving from Cali. He figures he is saving about 20 percent per year on taxes alone.

just a thought,

brasscarguy

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On April 12, 2018 at 8:52 AM, JACK M said:

Sounds good to me.  I don't have a car right now, but we are currently in Medford OR.  How far are you from us?

On April 12, 2018 at 11:35 AM, keiser31 said:

There is another home in Phoenix available....

Luckily, we are awaiting word about an apartment ... hope to know yet this week.  BUT, we are still looking at homes. ;)

On April 16, 2018 at 7:34 PM, brasscarguy said:

If you are not locked into Oregon, some folks move to Southern Washington, just across the river from Oregon. Oregon has INCOME TAX, and Washington does not. Oregon has no sales tax Washington does. So the trick is to live in Washington and make your major purchases in Oregon. I have a friend that did this very same thing moving from Cali. He figures he is saving about 20 percent per year on taxes alone.

just a thought,

brasscarguy

Right now, we are locked into southern OR.  Tho, I do know someone who works at the hotel who is getting ready to move to northern Washington. Small world.  But that is an excellent idea.  My job, tho, is based in IL.  So, not sure how that'll work with taxes, once we get a permanent address.....

pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 2003 MGM + 81mc

"Take a ride, look around" | Jason Aldean | 'Tattoos On This Town'

2 hours ago, ScarredKnightfan said:

Sounds good to me.  I don't have a car right now, but we are currently in Medford OR.  How far are you from us?

I think about 4 hours, almost to Portland.

• Like 1

Well, dang, Jack, that might have to wait a while.  I do have family friends (parents' friends) up in the Portland area, so I know I'll be up there ... sometime.  Meantime, if you get to the Medford area, let me know.

pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 2003 MGM + 81mc

"Tryin' to make a livin' & doin' the best I can" | Allman Brothers Band | 'Ramblin' Man'