Harrah's collection, 1985 panoramic picture for sale

trimacar

Just curious if anyone is interested in purchasing a copy of this panoramic picture.  The bright spots you see are reflections of lighting in my garage, the photo itself is clear.

I visited Harrah's in 1985, before the cars were dispersed to the four corners of the world.  There was a Model T that one could sit in to take a picture, I stood in it, and took 7 pictures, from wall to wall, from Pierce to Duesenberg, of the cars visible.  I then pieced the pictures together, framed, and hung on wall for 30 years.  Note my favorite, Pierce Arrow and Pierce Travelodge trailer, right in the middle of the picture!

Recently, I had the photos professionally digitized and melded together.  Resulting print is 35 inches long and 4 inches wide, and I think it's an interesting snapshot, so to speak, of a famous and historical collection.

Editing and printing such a picture isn't cheap, and this isn't a big money maker for me, but if anyone is interested in a print, it's $45 postpaid in continental US.  I'll also include an original 6" x 6" sticker that says "Harrah's Automobile Collection".  I've been told I should write a copyright statement in the bottom right hand corner of the photo, so will do that before I ship.

I have no idea whether I'll sell any or not., which makes it kind of fun! Email me if interested.  david.coco@comcast.net     thanks!

February 2018 025.JPG

February 2018 026.JPG

February 2018 027.JPG

February 2018 028.JPG

February 2018 029.JPG

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

Nice pic !

We drove by while on vacation in May, 1981, but with two young kids we decided to visit the collection some future year when we could spend a couple of days -

It never happened, and then the collection was dispersed.

A few years ago we did visit the remains of the collection in Reno and it is excellent, but not the same.

David, I recall that you got to spend a lot of time with the Franklin guy at Harrah's, before your 1917 9-A came to me. Wish I had taken the opportunity when it was available

Yes, at the time I was restoring a 1907 Model G Franklin.  There was one on display, I asked one of the docents if I could take a closer look.  He proceeded to block off that aisle, remove the barrier, and roll the car out where I could get all around it.  Then he sent me to the warehouse, which was adjacent to the building I was in, and that's a whole 'nuther story that I've told on here before.

I'm very thankful I was able to see the collection then, I was at Lake Tahoe on a "business trip" and my wife to be and I drove down, in ice and snow and the first time I've ever put chains on a car, to see Harrah's...

The wife and I went to the Turlock swap meet then down to San Diego by way of Reno to the Harrah collection. Just a small detour that was well worth the drive back in 79. Remember them having a row of unrestored cars outside that were coming up for auction.

I was there just prior to the auctions as well, so many vehicles it was more than one's mind could absorb in one visit and I remember most of the cars being inches apart. A great experience and I feel fortunate to have observed the legendary collection.

During the 70's a friend and I made yearly pilgrimages to Harrah's. We would spend about three day's there at each visit. It was like a huge car guy's theme park. In those days there were numerous restorations, in process. On the premises Bill had everything a chrome plating shop, an upholstery facility, wood working etc, it was a real production line, and all visible to the public. Three thousand cars, on display in five or six huge warehouse like buildings. The cars were so closely packed in some buildings, that there was scarcely room to walk between them, and nary a post war car to be seen. It was impossible to prepare yourself for what you would see on your first trip. Bill had a special love for the Classics Pierce Arrow, Duesenberg, Franklin, Packard etc., and a dozen or more of each on display. But maybe his biggest contribution was in teens cars and earlier. He was restoring these cars irrespective of value. Virtually no one was doing this, on that scale, at that time and will never be seen again! 

Yes, probably never again. I went through much of the collections in '68 and '69, when we went to the Reno Swap Meets he hosted. I was still in high school then. No collection in the world today even comes close! Literally thousands of cars in the collection, many mostly out of sight, and others spread around various displays at Harrah's clubs and other locations. But what? Fifteen hundred on open display in the early '70s?? Most of them high quality restorations or expertly conserved originals. William Harrah was ahead of his time for conservation of original cars. Now, there aren't enough of them left because too many that should have been conserved, were restored instead. And as Buffalowed Bill said, he restored many without regard to whether they were financially deserving.

That in itself is a timely point to me. Right now, on another forum, we are having a discussion about the Gray automobile of (about) 1922 through '25. A friend on that forum has one, being restored (needs it), and just bought another incomplete parts/project pile. I mentioned there that there had been a discussion here about a year or so ago about the Gray. I mentioned that I had known an owner of one about 45 years ago, that he had gotten to know Bill Harrah (a lot of people in those days did, I am told Bill H was quite nice and easy to know), because Harrah's crew was restoring a Gray at that time. The Gray may be rare, but they were not well made, probably contributing to such a low rate of survival for the cars. Didn't matter. Harrah was restoring one anyway.

Any idea how long you may be able to make these available? I would like one, but money is tight right now. I know it is not a simple thing to print out either.

3 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Any idea how long you may be able to make these available? I would like one, but money is tight right now. I know it is not a simple thing to print out either.

Hi Wayne...I should have them, at your convenience.  Due to layout of photo, have to get 5 printed at a time, so if I sell 5 it might be a few days to get more printed!  If I could find a less expensive way to have them printed, I'd lower price and see if there was more interest, I know they sound expensive. Thanks for interest...

By the way, the photo itself is nice, the light spots you see are reflections of lighting in my garage.  Maybe I should get a better picture of the picture so you can picture what the picture looks like!

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

4 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

The Gray may be rare, but they were not well made, probably contributing to such a low rate of survival for the cars. Didn't matter. Harrah was restoring one anyway.

What set William Harrah apart in his restorations was authenticity.  He would never OVER-restore a car.  For example, if a component such as a bumper bracket was dipped in a vat of black paint and hung to dry, he would restore it the exact same way; runs in the paint and all.

Craig