Going to Bud's Salvage on Monday-what do you need?

Pete Phillips

I am making my once-a-year trip to Bud's Salvage in Aline, Oklahoma on Monday, Jan. 15th. I consider it the finest salvage yard in the south central U.S., with 4,500 cars from late 1940s on up--heaviest on 1960s and 1970s cars.    It's a five-1/2-hour drive each way for me, but well worth it. And their prices are very reasonable. Their selection of Buicks from the 1960s and 1970s is mind-boggling.

I am taking my pickup truck and am willing to bring back large items that will fit into the back of my truck. Bud's will ship parts, but only those small enough to be handled by the US Mail. So if anyone needs a bumper, fender, or something else too big to mail, I am willing to haul it back to Texas and arrange the shipping, provided you cover all of the shipping and packing costs that I incur. I am leaving on Monday morning, so I need to know what to bring back before then. And you have to make the arrangements to pay Bud's for the part; I am only offering to take care of the shipping and handling.

Here is their contact information: http://budsalvage.com/

For those planning on coming to the 2019 BCA national meet in Oklahoma City, Bud's Salvage is going to be one of the bus tours--yes, it is that good!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Pete, 

If you happen to see any 58 Buick's and there is an extra (knowing you said you might not be able to find yours) lower rear bumper / license plate trim piece I would appreciate letting me know.

Looked up their web link but had no luck there.

Thanks.

On 1/7/2018 at 7:19 AM, MrEarl said:

Keep your eyes open for a 79 Limited tan cloth or vinyl front seat and radio in very good condition. 

Mr. Earl, what radio does a 79 take?  I have a couple that came from 84 - 85 Rivieras.  One has the built in 5-band graphic equalizer.

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Mr. Earl, what radio does a 79 take?  I have a couple that came from 84 - 85 Rivieras.  One has the built in 5-band graphic equalizer.

Did I say radio? I did didn't I. That settles it, I am totally loosing it, I meant clock!!! Thanks anyway Ed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

Did I say radio? I did didn't I. That settles it, I am totally loosing it, I meant clock!!! Thanks anyway Ed!

Well that tells me the clock you want is not interchangeable with th 84 - 85 Rivieras.   The clock in those is IN the radio.

Now, another question.  Is the clock you're looking for mechanical or quartz.  The clocks from older Buicks are mechanical in that they run off a main spring, which is rewound with a quick zap of 12V.  As the spring winds down, a set of contact points closes and the zap of 12V rewinds the mainspring.  Usually a good cleaning and filing the points will have the clock up and running again.

Or is your clock one of those early digital "flip" ones.

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

Well that tells me the clock you want is not interchangeable with th 84 - 85 Rivieras.   The clock in those is IN the radio.

Now, another question.  Is the clock you're looking for mechanical or quartz.  The clocks from older Buicks are mechanical in that they run off a main spring, which is rewound with a quick zap of 12V.  As the spring winds down, a set of contact points closes and the zap of 12V rewinds the mainspring.  Usually a good cleaning and filing the points will have the clock up and running again.

Or is your clock one of those early digital "flip" ones.

It's Quartz and Pete says he's got me one. :) Thanks Pete?

• Like 2