Vacuum fuel tank

WPVT

I rebuilt and reinstalled the Stewart Warner vacuum tank in a 1929 White truck. I turned over the engine for 20 seconds or so several times, but no fuel has reached the tank. The line between the vacuum tank and the fuel tank is clear of obstructions and leaks. The vacuum line to the manifold is only about 20" long and it is also sound and free of leaks. Can anyone suggest a troubleshooting  test while the tank is still installed on the truck?  The tank and internal mechanisms were in very good shape when I disassembled it, and I was pretty careful during reassembly. The float looked perfect as did the brass parts. Is it reasonable to expect the engine vacuum while cranking to be sufficient to draw gas up into a dry vacuum tank, or do things need to be wet to function?  I didn't want to put gas in the vacuum tank first; That way if I saw gas in the sediment bowl I would know it was working.  

I suppose I could put a vacuum gauge at the fuel inlet, and that might narrow things down. How much vacuum should I have at the fuel line?

Thanks.

Thanks. I didn't notice the earlier post since it referred to a Stewart fuel "pump".  In reading the PDF (very helpful) I found reference to the valves possibly not working if the tank was dry. I'll add a little gas and see if that seals things up. 

I did some testing and found that cranking the engine with the starter produced very little vacuum at the tank. Certainly not enough to draw gas. So I checked vacuum at the intake manifold and found the same. Conclusion...starter cranking cannot generate enough vacuum to draw gas, even with everything working as it should. 

So...I primed the vacuum tank, and started the engine. Everything is working fine. Idle isn't quite as smooth as before, but maybe there's a tiny vacuum leak somewhere. I'm off the electric fuel pump and running on the vacuum tank. First time in many years.

Thanks for all of the helpful hints.

Some of the SW vacuum tanks have a threaded plug in the center of the tank cap which makes it easier to add fuel.  If yours doesn't have one,  you may be able to find one that does that will fit your tank.  Perhaps if you cranked long enough with a healthy engine, it might get enough fuel into a dry tank to start but why run down the battery?  I find that I can usually go 3 weeks without starting and enough fuel will still be in there for engine to start right up.  

• 1 month later...

You usually will know when it is drawing gas from the tank.  The engine will run smoother.  When the vacuum tank is full and float releases - it will direct the vacuum to vent.  This creates a small vacuum leak and the engine will run a little rough.  This is normal.  While helping a friend diagnose his vacuum tank I installed a section of clear hose in the inlet piping from the gas tank.  This was on an original low milage inline 8 that ran very smooth.  It was interesting actually "seeing" the process as the tank worked so its actions were no longer such a mystery.

• Like 2