What happened to Verdone's Casting?

prewar40

12 hours ago, zipdang said:

I believe Craig Karr purchased this company and then left for Belize, or was that Nigeria?

Craig Karr has apparently died at the age of 88, the assets of his business (machinery, dies, molds) sold at public auction a few weeks ago.....Ames Rubber bought some of the equipment, no mention of any metal casting stuff...

There are issues with stainless castings. When melted, stainless does not get as thin as  bronze,  so fine details can be lost. Stainless also shrinks more than bronze as it cools. Polishing a stainless casting is a very time consuming job if you want a mirror finish.  On the plus side stainless is forever and you don't have to wait for the chromer to do his job.

2 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

There are issues with stainless castings. When melted, stainless does not get as thin as  bronze,  so fine details can be lost. Stainless also shrinks more than bronze as it cools. Polishing a stainless casting is a very time consuming job if you want a mirror finish.  On the plus side stainless is forever and you don't have to wait for the chromer to do his job.

I have a one week turnaround on most all plating. I wouldn't put any of those castings on my or a customer car.

I was told that Bill Scherer also passed away. Bills work was the best you could get. Casting and stamping Cadillac parts from rear view mirrors, rad ornaments, running board trim to long trim castings for your dash. His line or work was extensive. This fellow made it all and supplying dealers like Pete Sanders also. He was a great guy and will be missed in the hobby. Anyone hear what happened to his molds and dies??