Sold 1923 Reo T6 for $35,000 what is so Special ?

What makes this car so special ? ?  I thought older cars were not getting their asking price . This is from the John Lwis Collection . It's selling price is on Hemmings under Reo . 

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/?q=reo

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/reo/t6/2015080.html

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

It's a  VanDerBrink Auctions car.  Do you need a further explanation .  If you can get top dollar plus over a restored car price for low mileage, rusty field car chevies, and have people waiting in line just to view them,  then any thing is possible. 

The other cars in the auction were "VanDerBrink Auctions cars" and they went for much lower prices than the Reo, despite being in similar condition and of a similar age - the 23 Lincoln for eleven grand being a case in point.  So, yes, I felt I needed a further explanation.  I didn't think 23 Reos were unusual enough to command such a higher price.

The Lincoln was a solid car in original condition.  A nice Dodge touring and Nash touring both sold for $12,500, not cheap, but not over the top like the Reo.  Maybe it was auction fever, but I'd like to know why the buyer thought this one particular car was worth so much more than the rest of the inventory.  Maybe it was those goofy headlight accessories.

On October 22, 2017 at 8:43 AM, JAK said:

Are the other results posted someplace or were you watching the sale, thanks

Please scroll down to :  John Lewis Collection For Sale  , which was posted by Mark Gregory.  The link will reveal all. Get a hankie to dry "those weeping eyes" , as there is a pretty good chance you will see something which will make you say "It shouldda been me ........". Now I always console myself in such situations by realizing that the lucky winner at the steal-of-a-deal price might not have been a bottom feeder like myself. That winner might well have hung in to a level that the REO sedan went for. I hope that first cousin to a "sour grapes" rationalization works for you (all).       Still not totally dry eyed , if only................. (I really do love that Lincoln and hope the new owner checks in with us).     -  Carl .      RESULTS NO LONGER AVAILABLE THROUGH LINK. I WONDER IF/WHERE THE RESULTS  ARE AVAILABLE SOMEWHERE THROUGH HEMMINGS

Edited by C Carl
NO LONGER AVAILABLE (see edit history)

It was a well advertised public auction.........the cars all brought current fair market value.............doesn't that scare the hell out of you? The REO may have brought more money for one simple reason, two people wanted it...........if you in your retirement years, and don't have much time, it doesn't really matter what you pay for any car, as long as you like it. The Lincoln was crazy cheap...........pondering the question...........I wonder how the big brass car auction is going to end up in three weeks. Everyone at Hershey was talking about it. Can the market absorb that many cars in one day? Yes, it will........scary thought is few buyers with cash in hand show up.........stuff goes for what most people say is "cheap money" and many in the hobby will be caught standing without a chair when the music stops. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

To Seekers point, at least 3 MARC members lost cars in CA, including a fairly unusual A400, convertible sedan.  More early Fords of course continue to be lost to hot rodders as restored chassis pop up fairly regularly.   Different market from big brass, but  illustrates some trends...

16 hours ago, edinmass said:

It was a well advertised public auction.........the cars all brought current fair market value.............doesn't that scare the hell out of you? The REO may have brought more money for one simple reason, two people wanted it...........if you in your retirement years, and don't have much time, it doesn't really matter what you pay for any car, as long as you like it. The Lincoln was crazy cheap...........pondering the question...........I wonder how the big brass car auction is going to end up in three weeks. Everyone at Hershey was talking about it. Can the market absorb that many cars in one day? Yes, it will........scary thought is few buyers with cash in hand show up.........stuff goes for what most people say is "cheap money" and many in the hobby will be caught standing without a chair when the music stops. 

What brass car auction please??

• Like 1