1934 Dodge & Plymouth coupe body differences

alsfarms

I am curious, what would be the differences between the 1934 Dodge and Plymouth coupe bodies.  I have heard that they are basically the same but have no knowledge on that.  Please post and suggest what you know about the differences between the DeSoto, Plymouth, Chrysler and Dodge coupe bodies.  Do all the coupes ride on the same wheelbase or did Chrysler Corp. offer several different size coupes within each brand name?

Alan

Thanks for the notes on the wheelbase lengths for Plymouth, DeSoto, Dodge and Chrysler.  Here is a follow up question.  Are the body's and door width the same  with the wheelbase differences made up in the front fenders and hood....or otherwise?

Alan

Chrysler and De Soto sixes have the same engine so I would 'spect them to be the same length in front of the firewall. Plymouth has a 201 cu.in. engine and Dodge 217.3 cu.in. although the bore is only 1/8" different. So are the engines the same length? I would expect the C. & De. to be similar and the others different?

Maybe you oughta get yourself to Hershey on Saturday with a tape measure in your pocket and see what you can learn.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

The 1934 DeSoto came only as an Airflow, so you can remove it from the list.

The Plymouth PE and Dodge DT (both 114" wheelbase) shared doors and had the same length of hood.  They also shared sedan and coupe bodies.

The Dodge DR and Chrysler CA (117" wheelbase) used the PE/DT coupe bodies but used the PE/DT sedan body extended 3" in the rear compartment.   The DR/CA also shared sedan doors.  The hood on the coupes was 3" longer

The 121" wheelbase models, Dodge DS and Chrysler CB were available as 4 door closed coupled sedan and 4 door convertible.  Sedan front doors and hood were shared with the DR and CA.

Front fenders are the same for all..   The difference in wheelbase was made by the length of the running boards.  The PE/DT were the shortest and the DT/CB the longest. 

The Dodge DT was sold only in Canada and was the first Plodge sold in North America.   The very first Plodge was the export Dodge DM of 1932 - basically a Plymouth PB with a Dodge front end and instrument panel. 

The Plymouth and Dodge used the 23" long flathead six (3-1/8" or 3/14" bore)  while DeSoto and Chrysler used the 25" block (3-3/8"bore).   1934 was the first year for the 25" block.

Bill

Vancouver, BC 

Hello Bill,

Thanks for taking the time to explain the Model and length differences of Dodge and Plymouth coupes and others.  Are the dash boards different between the Dodge and Plymouth.  It appears that the short wheelbase coupe bodies would fit either short wheelbase chassis.  DO you happen to know what the production numbers would be for the short wheelbase coupes for Dodge and Plymouth?  I have an option for a 1934 Plymouth coupe body only, but have an interest in building a stock 1934 Dodge not Plymouth.  (My Dad's first car was a 1934 Dodge coupe).  I would also entertain purchase of a 1934 Dodge coupe project car, if anyone knows or has one.  Once again, I do not desire a "hot rod" but to build a stock automobile and would un-hot rod the right car.

Al

Thanks for sharing the pictures of a very nice original Dodge Coupe.  My fathers car had orange wire wheels.  I am trying to remember what the body color was?  Is it asking too much to ask for a picture or two of the dash, interior and rumble seat area?

Al

Couple of general comments with the background that I have had several 34 Plymouth PE models (coupe, convertible coupe, 4-dr sedan, all on the 114" wheelbase) and a 34 Dodge DRXX (the 'cheapo' Dodge, 117" wheelbase).  Lots of variations but the coupe bodies for 34 basically interchange but they do not interchange with any of the 33 models (the rake on the A pillar is different, etc.).  Doors on the PE coupe interchange with the Dodge coupes but note that there are differences in the coupe body doors because some came with vent windows and some did not.  On the Plymouth, the PE and PF have vents (and therefore an additional interior knob to work the vent) but the PG does not.  Both the PF (as well as the PFXX) and the PG were on the shorter, 108" wheelbase, with the PF having an independent front end and the PG with a beam axle.  Inside, the dashes are different in the Plymouths from the Dodges but they can be removed and substituted because the outside dimensions are the same.  The window garnishes are completely different, Dodge v. Plymouth, and they also differ among the Dodges.  My DRXX, which does not have vent windows, has garnishes that have a very narrow, straight 'skirt' (similar to 33 models) as opposed to the more stylish DR coupes with the vent windows. Finally, ignoring the dash differences, the inside handles for the door and window cranks are different, Dodge to Plymouth.

One thing to note that may make the bodies not interchangeable is that the cowl section on the Dodge is longer than the Plymouth, at least under the hood.  I will try to get a couple of photos of that for you because that would seem to be a major impediment to changing a Plymouth to a Dodge or vice versa.

As noted above, the hood lengths differ (my DRXX is 50 1/2" while the PEs are 47").  Don't know about the Dodge coupes, but the 34 Plymouth front fenders do not interchange because the difference in wheelbase is made up forward of the runningboards.  On the Plymouths, the short wheelbase cars (PF and PG) have shorter front fenders.  In addition, the Dodge fenders have the additional beautiful bead that runs up the crown on the front of the fenders which is not found on the Plymouths.

Attached a coupe of photos of my 34 DRXX for reference.  Will try to get those photos of the difference in the cowl configurations to you in a separate email. 

Have fun!

100_8535.JPG

100_8537.JPG

100_8536.JPG

• Like 1

Al, here's a few more pictures of my coupe. The red door panels are probably 60 years old I would guess. I haven't looked under to see whats left of the originals. The pull out control knob at the side of the steering column is for the overdrive. It's out of a 37 Chrysler 6. Looks like I lied about the mileage. It's just gone over 89000!

Scott, like you I have another. It's a 34 convertible coupe.

Ken

P1060517 (Large).JPG

P1060518 (Large).JPG

P1060519 (Large).JPG

P1060520 (Large).JPG

P1060525 (Large).JPG

P1060526 (Large).JPG

P1060527 (Large).JPG

P1060528 (Large).JPG

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

One thing to note that may make the bodies not interchangeable is that the cowl section on the Dodge is longer than the Plymouth, at least under the hood.  I will try to get a couple of photos of that for you because that would seem to be a major impediment to changing a Plymouth to a Dodge or vice versa.

Yes, the 1934 Dodge DR and 1934 Chrysler CA coupes have an extension welded to the cowl to move the firewall farther forward.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2017 at 5:01 AM, Chrycoman said:

The 1934 DeSoto came only as an Airflow, so you can remove it from the list.

The Plymouth PE and Dodge DT (both 114" wheelbase) shared doors and had the same length of hood.  They also shared sedan and coupe bodies.

The Dodge DR and Chrysler CA (117" wheelbase) used the PE/DT coupe bodies but used the PE/DT sedan body extended 3" in the rear compartment.   The DR/CA also shared sedan doors.  The hood on the coupes was 3" longer

The 121" wheelbase models, Dodge DS and Chrysler CB were available as 4 door closed coupled sedan and 4 door convertible.  Sedan front doors and hood were shared with the DR and CA.

Front fenders are the same for all..   The difference in wheelbase was made by the length of the running boards.  The PE/DT were the shortest and the DT/CB the longest. 

The Dodge DT was sold only in Canada and was the first Plodge sold in North America.   The very first Plodge was the export Dodge DM of 1932 - basically a Plymouth PB with a Dodge front end and instrument panel. 

The Plymouth and Dodge used the 23" long flathead six (3-1/8" or 3/14" bore)  while DeSoto and Chrysler used the 25" block (3-3/8"bore).   1934 was the first year for the 25" block.

Bill

Vancouver, BC 

Dodge front fenders have the spears on the others are plain on the front.

19 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Dodge front fenders have the spears on the others are plain on the front.

That's what I get for not wearing my glasses when checking numbers in parts books  -

Front fenders - right - enamel :

Plymouth PE - 621188

Dodge DR, DS, DT - 621133

Chrysler CA, CB -  621188

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrycoman said:

That's what I get for not wearing my glasses when checking numbers in parts books  -

Front fenders - right - enamel :

Plymouth PE - 621188

Dodge DR, DS, DT - 621133

Chrysler CA, CB -  621188

You must have the same original parts books I have--every year that they age the print and numbers in them shrink!  By the way, checked both my 34 parts books, Plymouth and Dodge, and neither lists any parts for or references any overdrive units.  As noted above, the free-wheeling unit is something that was available in 34, both Plymouth and Dodge.

On 10/8/2017 at 8:02 PM, alsfarms said:

Here is another question for those of you that have experience with 1934 Chrysler products.  The question is:  Was it common for 1934 products to have an overdrive from the factory?

Al

http://p15-d24.com/topic/43213-earliest-warner-overdrive-1935-t86-1p/?tab=comments#comment-473351

58d07ca9e5f0e_R-1OD1935CW(Large).JPG.b40885cea112866388a6f4014da49dbf.JPG

58d07f861bcb8_1935ImperialAirflowR-1ODTransmission.JPG.321d10d3a9fb80bfd8fb0cc9c7178c40.JPG