What is This?

epriv

Thanks. Any reason why I would be leaking motor oil out of the notch punched in the center (white box in picture)? It is definitely motor oil and not trans fluid. It does not leak when the car is on a level surface, only on an incline. I suspect the oil pan gasket is faulty causing oil to leak into the bell housing, then exiting through the hole. (this is not my car but a stock picture I found on the internet)

2.jpg

I think it's possible the rear main seal for the motor is leaking. I'm facing the same problem. It only leaks when the car is running? Generally (very generally), leaking while sitting is gaskets, and leaking while running is seals.

The bell housing is the top front part of the transmission, and is part of the aluminum case

of the transmission. the part you have circled unbolts from the transmission and is called a flywheel cover.

Flywheel covers always have a hole in the bottom of them to allow motor oil to escape if there is a rear main

seal leaking oil or the rear pan gasket seal leaking oil in to the cover. To diagnose your leak you need to remove

the flywheel cover, then you can see where the leak is coming from.

• Like 2

You said this is not your engine but if you're going to replace rear (or front) seals, research the use of neoprene V6 Buick rear seals and V8 Buick big block front seals to replace the OE rope seals.  Those part numbers are in the tech tips on the ROA website.

Ed

It looks like the car has been sitting a while. If it was mine I would try to put 200-300 miles on it and see if the rope sucks up a little fresh oil and seals. If not, dive in and fix it.

There are a lot of problems one can find on a car that has been sitting a long time that clear up with some driving. Once I picked up a friend's car and put a fast 100 miles on it. I brought it back the next day and he, absolutely, would not believe I hadn't worked on it, didn't touch a thing.

On the tradition of the stupid question comment. Make it a point to distinguish between stupid and ignorant. Once you are fully comfortable with them you will find there really are very few stupid questions. Very few.

Bernie

And try not to leave cars parked on grass.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

54 minutes ago, offdensen said:

Should only be 4 bolts or so that hold the cover on. No prep works needs to be done before removing it, just take it off and get a flashlight. 

Is that a 3rd gen rivi?

No gaskets either; it's just a dust cover.

If your leak isn't too bad try Lucas oil stabilizer,I have Lucas in every fluid in all my cars,I just last weekend pulled my '72 Riv out of the barn for first time in four years,my bad,needs lots more exercise.She had leaked a little oil and a lot of trans fluid,changed both and added Lucas and about 250 miles over the last week and not a drop on the floor.When I first got this car 26 years ago,there was a whine in the rear,changed that to straight Lucas,as indicated on bottle,and the whine never returned.

To install a rear seal, you don't need to pull the transmission, but because of the way the crossmember goes under the pan, you need to lift the engine to remove the pan.  You might as well pull the engine and replace the seals.  You can replace the rear rope seal with a neoprene seal without removing the crank.  Tom T. and other nailhead rebuilders might know some tricks, but that's their livelihood.  Adding a little oil every once in a while is a whole lot less expensive.

10 hours ago, offdensen said:

Should only be 4 bolts or so that hold the cover on. No prep works needs to be done before removing it, just take it off and get a flashlight. 

Is that a 3rd gen rivi?

. . . looks like a 'used' 2nd generation Riviera, and they all leak a little oil from the rear seal.

As long as it is not too severe - just keep driving it !

• Like 1

On 6/27/2017 at 9:34 AM, telriv said:

I have the "Modern" seals in stock along with the instructions & nec. sealers to install them.

Tom T.

Mr. Tom,

Do you sell these seals? If so, for which engines?

Thanks

Thanks everyone. It's a 70, 455, 74k. Since the leak is not bad, rather than lifting the engine I'll live with it until at least I have the engine rebuilt. Not fiscally prudent to replace the seals if it's just a minor leak. The oil level never seems to go down anyway. Funny thing is, it only drips when it's on an incline. It doesn't drip when the car is running or not when it's on a level plane.

Mitch

Bars Leaks makes a bottle of magic potion that you pour in your oil, and it softens the

rubber on the rear main seal so it will seal again. Give the stuff a try....we've fixed several cars with leaking neopreme rear main seals in our shop by

using this stuff.

3 hours ago, epriv said:

Thanks everyone. It's a 70, 455, 74k. Since the leak is not bad, rather than lifting the engine I'll live with it until at least I have the engine rebuilt. Not fiscally prudent to replace the seals if it's just a minor leak. The oil level never seems to go down anyway. Funny thing is, it only drips when it's on an incline. It doesn't drip when the car is running or not when it's on a level plane.

Mitch

Check to be sure the crankcase is not overfilled.

Often seals are intended to do their job against a spinning shaft like a crankshaft but are not designed to seal against oil leakage in a static situation such as would occur if the crankcase is overfilled and oil is pooled against the seal with the crank in a stationary position.

This would likely not apply to the old school rope seal, I`m not sure because I have never encountered such a situation in an old car.

I have encountered such a situation in more modern truck applications where the seal is a lip seal and the lip is designed with features/contours which actually encourage the flow of oil away from the dry side of the seal. This requires the sealed surface to be spinning.

Long ago I serviced a truck/tractor in which the fleet mechanic installed a new rear main seal TWICE (BIG job and a real PITA) with the same result...a puddle of oil under the truck after being parked for several hours. I check the crankcase level and found at some point the wrong dipstick had been installed and the driver was overfilling the crankcase. Much easier to do on a large diesel engine as it requires 44 quarts to be up to the full mark...so what`s 10 extra quarts? In spite of being new, the seal would not hold back oil because it was not designed to seal in a static circumstance where the oil was pooled against it. After correcting the oil level the rear main stayed bone dry...apologies in advance for rambling,

Tom Mooney

Ronnie,

A check or Postal Money Order made out to myself for $30.00. Includes shipping in the 48 states. Along with instructions & the sealer I use & a tool to help installation. Will send a tracking number when shipped.

Tom Telesco

12 Cook St.

Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601