$55,000 plum '67 back up?

PWB

It is a lovely car but for the $$$ I'd want to see the car in person. In my experience the plum color did not hold up very well even if pampered particularly on the top surfaces. Paint looks OK in pics but there is no close-ups and no specific description on paint condition. And its not very well optioned at all but does have the console. Not sure why they haven't replaced the right front chrome bezel. Heck I could even sell them one.

19 hours ago, JZRIV said:

It is a lovely car but for the $$$ I'd want to see the car in person. In my experience the plum color did not hold up very well even if pampered particularly on the top surfaces. Paint looks OK in pics but there is no close-ups and no specific description on paint condition. And its not very well optioned at all but does have the console. Not sure why they haven't replaced the right front chrome bezel. Heck I could even sell them one.

JZ

Why not offer/sell your lower fenders to them?

Would do the madame some justice.

The "custom/deluxe" interior w/cloth upgrade would put her in royalty, also. This car deserves it.

Paul,

No code on plate for an axle option. Have to check axle tube for stamp. Stamp should be easy to read on this car!

The limited slip lube tag is not visible in the only pic of rear axle. Not a straight on shot so could be there just not visible.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1

See the EU stamped on the data Plate?  This body was built in Euclid, Ohio then shipped via truck or train to Flint, Michigan where it was mated to a chassis that was built in Flint.  That chassis would have the rear end installed where it was built in Flint.  Only options installed at Euclid appear on the data plate.

Ed

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sean1997 said:

The POP is stamped with rear axle code PJ.  According to the 1967 chassis service manual PJ is for a 3.07 open rear axle.

Sean,

That is an interesting reverse image of the PP. Nice work! Never saw that done.

22 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

POP shows engine code of "D479"? Yet another POP mistake....

Tom Mooney

Tom

Can you explain why the D479 is an error?

12 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Sean,

That is an interesting reverse image of the PP. Nice work! Never saw that done.

Tom

Can you explain why the D479 is an error?

Jason,

Ooops...I was thinking the car in question was a `66 model, not `67, sorry...I probably shouldnt post while I am still asleep. But it does seem strange they would display both alpha codes for the trans and only one for the engine. I have seen both alpha codes posted for the engine and trans or just the second alpha code for each but not a mix of both methods??

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

$55,000 for that Riviera?

It's for sale by a dealer.  Enough said!

That particular dealer always marks his cars with

unrealistically high prices.  What he sells them for

we may not see, but certainly not for his asking price.

Try listing a car like that for $55,000 and see how

much interest you yourself get!

Sometimes I say to myself,

DEALER PRICE / 2 = REALISTIC PRICE.

In this case, the divisor needs to be larger than 2.

Don't think for a moment that you must give in to

whatever a dealer asks.  Tactics like this make potential

hobbyists think they can't afford old cars, so those newcomers

may never see the affordable fun we have in this hobby. 

Myself, I prefer an honest private party who has cared for

the car for years, who can tell you all about it, and who

appreciates that a new owner will give the car a good new home.  

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

It's actually not that uncommon for the POP to have both alpha codes stamped for the trans and just the second alpha code stamped for the engine.  I have pictures of may POPs that are stamped this way.  There is actually a mistake on the POP if the pictures posted in the original ad are correct (I've added all the pics to my post above).  The original ad is here:

http://www.rkmotorscharlotte.com/sales/inventory/sold/1967-Buick-Riviera/135032

There is a picture of the trans ID plate and it shows BT 518 while the POP shows BT 517.  The original thread about this car is here:

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/277672-please-id-this-67-interior/

11 hours ago, sean1997 said:

It's actually not that uncommon for the POP to have both alpha codes stamped for the trans and just the second alpha code stamped for the engine.  I have pictures of may POPs that are stamped this way.  There is actually a mistake on the POP if the pictures posted in the original ad are correct (I've added all the pics to my post above).  The original ad is here:

http://www.rkmotorscharlotte.com/sales/inventory/sold/1967-Buick-Riviera/135032

There is a picture of the trans ID plate and it shows BT 518 while the POP shows BT 517.  The original thread about this car is here:

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/277672-please-id-this-67-interior/

Sean,

What is the DOMINANT trend for a mid-`60`s POP? A mix of single and double alpha characters or either both single or both double?

Tom Mooney