1934 LaS basket case attempt..

Frank,

You're not going to believe this but I have an NOS Dorman water jacket for my Olds six. Nice and pretty like yours but with a water pipe and flow deflectors on it. The only picture I have of it is this one. There is original green one and the Dorman is between the wheel and the green one.

IMG00383-20160204-1317.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, chistech said:

. Nice and pretty like yours but with a water pipe and flow deflectors on it.

To quote that old TV show of Caine? the Chinese wanderer in the old west, that had flashbacks of the elder Chinese monk..." Ah, Grasshopper"  :)  ....Mine too, has the all important deflectors.

Others here may not know WHY Dorman filled a HUGE demand for Jacket covers,....As Friend Kenny was here yesterday morning, saying as he saw my new one, "the old cars ran on pure water in summer and alcohol added in winter".  That made these covers totally rot away on older daily driver cars/trucks.  My Nash is a plain cover, without the need of deflectors, but still rotted out and was replaced with a homemade 1/8" thick flat plate back then.

Kenny went on to reminisce about his fathers lifelong possession of his first new car, a 23 Dodge 4dr sedan, which he showed to Tim and I the day before.  He said yesterday, that his Dad spoke of a trip with the Dodge in the Prohibition days of the 20s, to New York.  His coolant was stolen by an alcoholic to drink!!!  He said the rummies did that, when the car was parked overnight there.

Boy, Kenny was his old self again, and even called back last eve to discuss the trip to his friend Dave's in central NY on Wednesday, and might get a patch panel for sure there.

One thing Kenny always talks of, only by long phone calls, he ends the typical memories of all the old time car guys like Ed Jacobowitz, and even my "estate guy".  He ends with a softer voice..." D ere're all gone now..." ...( I am a newer "old guy" as a replacement).  Kenny has said several times that (name escapes me) the guy who was a huge Nash collector as well as a mixed make flipper, above Athol, Mass at a huge logging mill site...that guy called Kenny one eve....to "say goodbye"... he passed the next morning .. :(  He was the guy who showed me the Monster "Kenosha Duesenberg" 33 Nash convertible sedan in an open pole barn, long before Tom Lester got it and made a senior winner out of it... long before I finally became friends with Kenny.  .... The travels of a leaf....

Edited by F&J (see edit history)

8 hours ago, F&J said:

One thing Kenny always talks of, only by long phone calls, he ends the typical memories of all the old time car guys like Ed Jacobowitz, ...

Did Ed Jacobowitz have a Cadillac phaeton? There can't have been two old car guys with that name in New England. I haven't heard it in years. I would see him at local shows up around Putnam and, I think, in Newport once. I remember him clearly because he was one of the very few "classic" car owners that did not look down their nose on my Cadillac 7-passenger sedan.

Edited by JV Puleo
better wording (see edit history)

10 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

Did he have a Cadillac phaeton? There can't be two old car guys with that name in New England. I haven't heard in years. I used to see him at local shows up around Putnam. I remember because he was one of the very few "classic" car owners that did not look down on my Cadillac 7-passenger sedan.

Yes, or perhaps it was a LaS?, but earlier year than any in my car collection?.  ...The Yellow/black one with the wicker hand painted insets.  He told me that he found a craftsman in Pennsylvania? that did the very tough task of that handpainting.  He was very pleasant to me on the few times we spoke, including his wife. 

As I have someplace on here, warned of pre-conceived opinions of a person by word of mouth alone, or other ideas..... he is a good case to disprove that, as i'd heard some issues I do forget now.  I sold him my Dad's footpowered brake/clutch relining tooling as well as rolls of material. (I was young and had no shop or room to store these.)   Then at another show, I donated to him, a very large teens auto, complete touring top bow/irons that were unknown ID, as I hated to toss them out.  He seemed quite pleased to carry/save them for others.

Will anybody tire of my revelations of the continual innovartions on the "new, down-scaled by GM" 34 LaSalle?

Prelude;  I have said I often miss the obvious...being too close to a subject or task, perhaps...

Well I believe I posted last night about setting up spaces to presort parts to find some organization, out of the chaos of mixed parts..  I did stop all other chores today to start placing related pieces in separate locations on the old furniture quilted blanket I put on the Dart hood.  All was going just fine except yet another dark dreary COLD day, which was tiring me out quickly.  No heat at the far end of shop, as I've never worked there before.  I actually love the natural,light there, and south facing roll-up door.  Nice...and it is a 4 car area, two lines of two bigger car spaces.  Sweet

Then on one small box, yet even more dang wiper blades or wiper arms, most were obviously bought as a gamble.?  ...but, DING...as I set the two very short flat blades down in the wiper pile...I spotted both had a "wing" at one end??? then I looked to see of someone added them...no, they are some sort of mini rivet I think..

BUT, I 100% knew these are 34 Lasalle Convertible-ONLY !!  I dropped the whole sorting issue, and "ran" to get tools to remove the one-and-only 34 LaSalle only deco wiper arm on the driver side of the rotted 34 Sedan,,  Wowee...I assembled the right side on the Convertible, and I already knew exactly what went where....and WHY..>>

Because I own or have owned probably the shortest "stock" windshield cars ever made, like the 32 Plymouth roadtster...(not the conv), also my 32 Nash conv, and now the 34 LaS conv.. as well as my hot rodding hobby with chopped windshields especially, you run into the issues of a sweeping limitation in degrees,  versus the length of the blade..

If you cut down the blade to clear at half way, or vertical, the tips of the blade closest to the wiper shaft will clip the upper W/S frame unless you radically limit the degrees of sweep.. then end up with a very tiny swept spot.  You can alter sweep on a Trico Vacuum motor inside that oval tin can in the center,  there is an adjustment made in there at the factory to suit each different auto requirements.

Ok, I spoke a awhile back about the fact that those things I saw on the W/S frame led me to realize this had to be the first, or one of the first autos ever, to have that twin linkage arm system that corrects the blades angle as it sweeps a VERY short W/S.

Well is sure the heck IS!  Check this OUT... below.. but first, let me admit I missed something else that must be a first???  Is this the first car to have wipers mounted BELOW the W/S, or not?, or maybe?  ..at any rate I am so impressed... geez.. who the heck were/was the entitre cars design team back then??

100_0026.JPG.6197ee0886ee556e51bc408404518d45.JPG

100_0027.JPG.7c250d48bdd24633f8c43e5925dda249.JPG

^^^^^^^

.Note also, that crazy art deco grooved wiper arm body...it matches other details on the car in several places!

Note, ....the deco arm base is same for all body styles of 34.  The twin arm design is only 34 CONV, not 34 closed cars.

BELOW pic:

I found several repro designed pieces of the wiper shaft base. One was two angle sliced black rubber groomet to have a seal and the correct angle to use a nut/washer to tighten the shft body to the cowl, then two chromed ones that simply were not fitting right.  I ended up using the sedan diecast ones that are quite rounded and stylish, as well as it's rubber seal gasket...and...a sedan wiper transmission!

100_0025.JPG.8886b2b631778d09f385f1187f8807c0.JPG

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ above you can see a 1935 wiper transmission which has the "raised up" tower for the blade shaft location.  Both transmissions are gear activated...making the horizontal stroke from the central mounted vacuum motor to convert to a higher ratio and direction change.

this is wild if you ask me.  if you cannot visualize the action, as the wiper ARM sweeps, the wire rod alters the angle of the rubber blade...to...give a better swept area!!...and why, oh why???...on a down priced version!! for LaSalle, for combatting the depression, and also distancing itself from the Cadillac auto???.... as a cheaper car meaning less innovation??  Why all this stuff...I don't get it.  It had to have cost so much more for GM...Did they cut loose the team that worked with Earl?  letting them all run wild for this only one year??

like I said, the 34 LaS was a rare event in US auto manufacturing in design of not only innovative mechanical/electrical, styling so advanced..you name it...and this once in a blue moon combination will never/cannot ever be repeated by automakers IMO.

Wanna trade for your 34 V16 cad?  NOPE... I'm not in this for monetary value, never was and never will.  LOL.. :)

and "now I begin"...to gather dry wood for my indoor home wood stove...I am completely frozen now... whatever....., June wood heating?  go figure.. he.he

It's a pretty small world. I remember a yellow 27 Cadillac phaeton. The 27 Cadillacs had a distinctive faux wood-grain center in the dash. Mine was identical to his. At the time, he told me he thought the car was actually a 27, and he was probably right but I'd bought it as a 26 and it was registered as such. I think I was able to nail down the actual production date to something like October or November of 26 so it's quite possible it was a "27" model year but purchased and registered in 26. In any case, I remember his wife was always with him when I saw him. That was all nearly 40 years ago and, until you'd mentioned the name, I'd completely forgotten about it.

• Like 1

Ok, I went down to take more pics to show the impressive results of the twin arm design for "total swept area", as well as some differences in where the small circular unswept area ends up between the shaft and closest tip of the blade to it, .....and why you want that spot below, not above the center of glass height:::  Whew a sentence that was. 

Here is the LaS blade at full left vs full right.  Woweee look at that, when you see the coming pics of my 32 Ford system that was really "tweaked hard" by me, for my chopped W/S..

100_0032.JPG.0d5df11d71c8d42ef6def508f52bb691.JPG

100_0033.thumb.JPG.898be3727912bd16578e923ef9431ebe.JPG

.^^^ this last pic above is a bit deceptive, as it is lower than it will be due to wear on the potmetyal blade casting as well as no glass to hold the blade in proper placement...but still..it is so much more sweep. 

Now also note where the small circular unswept spot will be , between the shaft, and the lowest tip of the blade....it is DOWN low, under your field of vision during normal road viewing..

Ok, here is two different, very rare acc'y Trico dual wiper conversions... both are NOS from Kenny's stash of a big box of Trico stuff from a place that must have closed right before WW2.. 

The Ford uses the black Trico setup, as I wanted to save the chromed, & more complete setup for my 32 Nash.

I had to figure out the missing parts for the black set, and quite obviously, it was originally MUCH different than the near complete chromed set.  But staying on point, look at the severe limit of where the inward tip of the black blade is, nearly hitting the W/S frame up top.  I messed with total sweep degrees vs. blade length for a very long duration, even walking away from it for a day to think. 

...and look at the small circular unswept area "location", between the shaft and inner tip of blade...very much deficient.  But that was the norm back then with top mounted wiper motors.  Also that "area location" , it is more in line with you road view..just by physics..

100_0028.JPG.fbfdd5501da73448549a152ed8474edd.JPG100_0029.thumb.JPG.68db2f08703b77d3fcfe1a7229c6d8c8.JPG100_0030.thumb.JPG.47790547b6ec3b5357e2e89f7d156c60.JPG

Lastly, I am needing help with my new Kodac camera... I can only take FIVE pics of Size as follows:  845 to 890 KB, and are 2600 x 1944 Pixels, and I am thinking I have already chosen the lowest setting?  Before resetting the camera, default was at several thousand pixels like 4k to 5k, and was full at TWO pics??? This cannot be right, as the camera is useless, as I need to dump the 5 on my laptop to take more pics, and how can I dump to my laptop at a show...and could I even do a 30 second video? without filling the memory??? 

Boy, I sure was leery of that fellows approval of the Kodak, as I had such poor view of that company's (new) Color printer of perhaps 18 years ago...it was such an ink PIG, like a car that gets .1 to .2 mpg in full tune.  It was replaced by an "also new" HP that ran on almost zero ink.  My "pre-conceived" opinions may have been right?  I hope not, as I hate to be bothered to return it for exchange/...  And, the company is so lame, that the crappy short intro page of quick steps, it says the operators manual is ONLINE...geez Kodak, sell me a new car without a friggen steering wheel.   (Model: pixpro FZ53)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions as to what I may well be doing wrong.....

What is the capacity of the memory card? I noticed the cheap "point & click" I just bought actually takes large pictures. I am certain this is what 99% of the customers want but I just keep it in the shop to take photos as I work and, for my purposes, they could be smaller. I think it has a 2 or 4 gig memory card I bought at Target. If you are downloading direct from the camera you may not have even looked at the card. I use a card reader so I have it out every time I want to transfer something to the computer.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Noon update...I need a restbreak, as I cannot believe I am finished sorting-plcing the smaller stuff by category.  I used the ENTIRE hood of the Dart for now, and then set up a garage door panel on two plastic sawhorses the past owner of my home gave me.  Cheap and simple large size table...if I need to move it with stuff on it, just two young bucks lift it while I move the horses.

This major task of sorting..then burning dozens of tattered cardboard boxes, has left so much "floor" that I never realized was that spacious.. :)  .....It has instantly inspired me to get Joe's yellow body indoors in one area next to my LaS..  His stays draped with a HD tarp....and parked on it's trailer/body dolly.  Yes it is staying"sort of dry", but I need to look at it/in it, to see details, and more importantly...what does IT need.  As any old Yankee will say:  >> If you chose to leave anything outside in our weather...save yourself the agony of watching it "return to the earth",  skip that step, by first bringing it to the scrapyard instead.

Here is what I need to relocate:  A twin stack of NOS :) garage door panels I got for cheap at the local auction a few years ago.  They handle mostly hevy equipment sales of defunct businesses, truck body places, farm supply/tractor places....but often get stuff like a failed garage door place.

100_0035.JPG.bb6e8d69dd5035d91328e00fbe190b7b.JPG

I did save a ton of $$ that I put to better use in my life as well as car hobby.  It sure was a lot of work to add two more doors where none were before.  That whole 90 foot side was never accessible when we arrived here Dec 22 , 2007.  We cut some brush and were able to sawzall a large hole in the front side of that wall, just past the old office room.  Then we started hauling during school break for X-mas and New Years...coldest dam winter ever... My Son and his friend Riley, worked their tails off helping relocate stuff from two former residences I owned.  I've told both of them over the years, that I appreciated it so much...I am here for your needs for life..

So I lived with one side roll-up door installed later from used panels from a garage door places dumpster.  they were happy to get the dumpster less full that day, and I bought the special new low-overhead track kit there.  I had zero funds then, as I refused offer/list/sell my mortgage free beater shack w/2 bay, before I could find that very rare place that had monster buildings.. My sis was just getting into  real estate, and was pissed that she could not list my house till I signed on another.

A few years later Bob Jr spotted a guy at the local swap selling off his old business stash of unpainted 9x7 garage doors...for $50 each including the entire install kit....and THREE were the rarer low overhead tracked ones I HAD to have.  I missed seeing them, so Bob saw me, then to bring me to that swap space.  One door went where I put the LaS in, out back, the other two went on the front of my 68 foot building with is L shaped.  the front is the short leg of that L, so it looks like a 2-1/2 car, but only one bay runs the 68 feet.

A couple years ago, right after the tornado, I decided to tackle the huge job of removing a huge double cherry tree which was a real pain in getting in my side bay, and it prevented adding another roll up... Well I got a quote to drop them, but that leaves a HUGE monster double cherry stump.  These tress had the biggest diameter roots I have ever seen.  My kid ran around the tree with our small bucket crawler while I sawzalled any big roots that he got to.

Then, let's ROCK... An oldtimer that I bought his Dad's old 1920 GMC truck chassis for parts...he said Dad made a trailer with a big engine mounted up high, driving the HUGE winch that was still there on it..."to drag it out where trees needed clearing, then he'd hook the cable to the upper part of that tree, chain the GMC trailer to a biogger one....start the motor, flip a lever...and RUN away"  LOL  It would not only fell the tree, but also pull the root ball out easy..

DSCN0129.thumb.JPG.40c18994df8618df084fc32f5c649d64.JPG

Two 9000LB winches, both cables running through a twin sheaved snatch block chained to a big tree both trucks chained in place after they slid, each truck had a pull on each of the twin trees.  Furniture movers heavy blanket over the weakest cable that will grab on if the cable blows.  Preventing or at least delaying deadly whiplash.

DSCN0130.thumb.JPG.1ea843e20c3f1d31420b64938edfca9e.JPG

DSCN0131.thumb.JPG.2a5378aaf7e3063c9fa4b5b0cec1f5c8.JPG

.^^

You can see the twin trees did come down at the same time. but we rehooked both trucks to the opposite trees, as when it finally went to a tilt AWAY from the shop, we saw it would end up tearing the two apart, then having both be unpredictable.  That worked well as you can see they hit/landed in an OK place.

^^this last pic...look behind this tree, in the woods...those are MUCH bigger trees ripped right out, and others had broken limbs from the tornado. Only one hit on my shop...right exactly over my work bay.. Friend/customer Paul had his 32 chopped 5w in there as I was installing an early Cad motor and 37 Buick trans...Poked a hole in the corrugated overlaid roof right over it, but no other damage...  whew

my ''peeps" gits chit done.  lol

I found this part in a box of used chassis parts today, it is the sector shaft and it's housing from a 34 LaS steering box.  I knew the 34;s I have driven, that all steered so smoothly, that they just had to be the worm and roller design.

100_0034.thumb.JPG.43576a8b9dcf3f8ebbd8b732f13a7e15.JPG

I finally thought of a way to easily understand at least one of it's features that make it excel far beyond the worm and peg design, like the Ross.

Forget the testing of the boxes pieces for now.  Take a small caged roller bearing like for a generator, then stick your appropriate sized finger into the center hole to get a slip free grip on the inner race.  Now 2 flat long boards with hard rubber glued down on each.  Roll the bearing along one board, while putting downward pressure as you roll....you then will feel no resistance.

Now get a helper; have them hold the other board with rubber side facing down, and as you roll the bearing again, they put their board on top of the bearing and push down.  You will feel a heavy resistance as you try to roll along in between these boards.  Can you easily understand why? ...the outer race OD surface is rotating one way along the bottom board, but the top of that outer outer race OD is wanting to skid along the top board.  A bearing outer surface cannot rotate in the two directions it would need to, to have zero drag.

With the Ross peg, whether it is bearing mounted, so that it spins, or if the solid peg,.,,both still will show resistance while the tapered  peg is pressed into the equally but reversed tapered groove of the worm gear.  The outer sides of the peg would need to turn in opposite directions, which is impossible.  Now, this "peg drag" will only occur at near dead center of the worm.  That area is where the worm is machined to be zero clearances, but as you get further along on the worm in either direction, there is a sloppier fit in simple terms.  So, the peg does OK now that just one side of it is now in contact of just one side of the worm groove.  It simply is a flawed design for that drag at center.  Drag causes premature wear also.

I already addressed the limitations of the barrel shaped worm, as to the fact that it limits the amount of degrees the sector shaft can rotate before the peg runs "away/off" from the worms ends.  Then the pitman arm length must be lengthened to gain back the lost total draglink movement that the box design caused by less rotation.    It is, again, a flawed design. >> IMO << Disclaimer, he,he... your test results may vary  :)   lol

Anyways, back to the self-impessive move of the garage door mess, then moving the convertible out, then getting the yellow body in there, under that LOW center carrying beam...all in one afternoon... whew.  I tried to do it all by myself before my son might show up.  He has sternly said several times that messing with other LaSalles right now is WRONG, and I must focus on the Convert, or customers cars, or my Nash.

It took a while of thoughts to quickly move two heavy stacks of doors, then it hit me....rollers under each stack, just like ancient times or like old time "riggers" moved large things.  Pipes?  no, that is too difficult..Ding!...go get the 4 car dollies that were under the rotted 34 when it was on them in the old barn.  I used simple, fast methods/tools to do this:

100_0040.JPG.346f06e186bbe02570b4eac40b32c93c.JPG

Wow, it was fast and the two stacks now can be moved a bit more later if needed,..or they can go right out the pass door leading to a large two bay space if plans need altering in the future..and not wanting to move the yellow body outside again.  Perfect!!

Well, my sn did show up just as I started moving the conv outside..  I knew it might be a "situation" so I firmly declared a foot from his face:  "I know what you want me to do, and I have most times agreed it is the best plan, BUT, this time " I "  AM in Charge!...I must do this for my own reasons, and I WANT to."

So he did back off, and start helping. I was trying to back the yellow trailer/dolly in with the Allis garden tractor but as we have had massive rains, it just could not get a good bite in soft dirt.

So, my son steeped up with an awesome suggestion..he said use a trailer ball in the hole in the bucket of the old crfawler-loader.  I said I already put the ball in a month ago.  Being that my son is an equipment operator and admittedly better at the very precice moves you can make with a crawler, geez...he backed that thing in there with a hairs clearance all over that body as well as the crawler moving compelely in the convertible bay.  It was pure art to see his skill set. !!!

I later thanked him again, long after the success, saying thank you for allowing/helping me to have this happen, and that I should never be forced to explain why I want something done... and as I tailed-off my words, he tailed-in, saying..."and I don't need to know why"  !!  Teamwork man!!

I love the new area, it is 35x25 inside measure, bright, clean, southern exposure, a perfect spot for what I later told my self: "the Lasalle area".  So tired of past cars having parts all over the whole length of this long building.  It will be the way it always should have been.

When I was lifting the door stacks at first, I kept bumping into the last 3 old boxes of parts that I knew where: one of vintage VW, one of 60-66 truck, and the other a mixed lot of random projects...  So, I knew I had to finally deal with where to put them.  The first two were as said for ID...BUT...look at what I thought was "random" :

100_0037.JPG.ff8c0b3cc3c5141ce5ff4bd6d6bd52bd.JPG100_0039.JPG.58e31e2c6188f50ca378d7816b174e6f.JPG

Many are 35 parts, but I sure hope those two decent chromed door vent window frames are 34 and not 35 which are angfled differently.  I think they are 34, and it would be proof that I thought there once was a 4th convertible tied to all the whole collections history. I will verify year first thing today  :)  (I need to trade our Dart in for perhaps a Chrysler Imperial...as the hood is now getting WAY too small it seems:

100_0042.thumb.JPG.92d4b209486932c29963da41d19edf41.JPG

^^^ that is the former total, no room for this new box of stuff.  The only thing I had room for there were the few hood vent scoops that are added in this pic...

I have no garage art, so this is just a note to us restorers...we should not keep so many spares or own so many wrong year parts that are desperately needed by some one else... it IS a crime to do that.  MANY parts shown here ^^^ DO NOT fit a 34 LaS! they are LaS but later on...

Just reading of what you have accomplished and having the energy to do so, not to mention the enthusiasm - WOW.

I have no doubt you will get your LaSalle convertible and at least one sedan all back in proper order and be able to enjoy

driving them down the road, having the satisfaction knowing that it was your time and effort that made these cars whole again.

Old cars (especially pre war) are an interest that we share with everyone else, be it at a car show , cruise night or even more so

by driving them down the road so the general pubic sees them. 30 years ago I had friends over from England and we attended Hershey,

and walking back to our car from the "blue " field, we paused to see a black 1937 LaSalle sedan drive by and my friend commented "cars

are best viewed while in motion". That always stuck with me, and reading about your work on your LaSalle's just brought it back to mind.

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Just reading of what you have accomplished and having the energy to do so, not to mention the enthusiasm - WOW.

Walt, thanks...but if you've read some strange things here about my new, or whatever, life?  ...it keeps becoming so much more obvious of "the way it always SHOULD have been", which leads to ever increasing joys at any task... I was wondering after years of feeling so tired out, then given if the chance, I'd sleep way, way late , yet still feel tired out.... I have recently started to wake at 2 to 5 am, which now settled-in to 5am.. This is certainly NOT me.  But I am not the former me, as of my total submission I vowed on Jan 1, 2017, a day past my 65th "birthday", or I prefer it be a mile marker to how many years of random experiences...tyhings are now "changing on their own"  WTH???

But, I know why, as of a few days ago,,,, inner, subconscious me, wakes me up at 5, as I was/am apparently so exited to go to work, on whatever it was, or helping others elsewhere,  etc.   I am dead serious. I told my son I just am in full tilt mode, cannot slow down, ... like yesterday when I felt, and had the excitement of a 20 yr old kid.  This is why everyone must know some day, that "I have no age...I am just here"  If we believe we are indeed old, from past teachings that use that description, we will waste away, we will not try as hard, and therefore miss out on some percentage of joys.  The widow knows,..she is still young like me.. I know that for SURE!

But I know I cannot keep this pace, I feel it today, it is not healthy at age "age".  I was rushing to get the outdoor good motor stripped, picked up with the crawler, powerwashed, air dried then somehow get to the Palmer, Mass NORS place for seals etc... then do the needs, then paint it for install.  Yes, my son said he finally agreed with me, but not until last night, That: it is better being in the car, than in an ever crowded building, sitting and possibly ignored for a long while?  Walt, I told myself "it is a rare sunny day, and forecast goes even warmer for a few days onward.." . There is no reason to "plan" to rush, but I will slow right this moment forward.....and enjoy the "ride" better LOL

Take care, my new friend...hope to see you with your car(s) on the road...of life... :)

fj i believe your right about saving parts,ive hoarded alot of parts over the years and i dont know why except i say to myself ill use it someday,the last couple of years ive sold off alot of stuff i havent needed and i find how appreciative people are to finally get the part theyve been looking for,i try to talk to the buyers before hand and make sure they really need it and are not just flippers ( no offense to the flippers) we should all try to help each other in the hobby insted of trying to line are pockets with cash,from what i see youve got the market cornered on 34 and 35 parts,i believe youll be able to help people on there cars as well as receiving the parts you need     dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustDave said:

,the last couple of years ive sold off alot of stuff i havent needed and i find how appreciative people are to finally get the part theyve been looking for,

Yes, I know what you say.  I also need to rid myself of a few other types of car parts...

Ok, the only reason I was online an hour ago was to dump camera memory again, as I still need to find the operators manual ON LINE, to know what I am doing wrong, and I was taking pics as I stripped the motor down for cleaning......but then realized the words I wrote to Walt about working TOO hard...so I started a coffee which I like when I rexax....

...but I then realized I left a propane torch heating a part, while I went to dump memory, so I went to turn it off.

On the way down, I looked at the sky, just because we have had so many grey and rainy days lately...so I took a pic right then:

100_0047.thumb.JPG.3ec50522661309865f478ba2a954a2a3.JPG

and then I just waited a few? minutes, to take another... :

100_0048.thumb.JPG.474a7d6d14478175892500fab0eccee9.JPG

And then I recalled how all of us who looked at pretty blue skies that were so common decades ago...that now they do start blue...just like the color of a synthetic "Star Sapphire" jewelry stone...then they most always turn white or hazy or whatever.  I ask each viewer here to never bring this this post up again on my thread.  Please.  Lets talk antique cars!!!  But!!! I must confess that I am going to "screw off the rest of today"...I think another nice coffee would be really nice right now. ...and restful, relaxing and recharging for whatever else I do for car stuff later today..Boy, I want to work right now, but I need to heed my thoughts in my post to Walt.....like:"work is not harmful to us, IF in moderation.." :)

I sure did take a nice long rest, then take some pics of other LaS items I have been tinkering with.. but it sure looked and felt like rain, so I got back to finish stripping the engine:

100_0044.JPG.d947a63e29a35cb76867758f0c461ea9.JPG

This pic is for me, I might forget that weird look bracket location,  Take pics if you are unsure how long a part will be off.  It saves so much time later>

100_0045.JPG.9aa2bdf34b659f5fd39757a9d5fad3d6.JPG

^^^ water has been in there a LONG time, yet not rusty...a good sign that needs to be looked at when you start.

Pic below, to show what happens if despite years of skill set, overtired or rushing like this morning was, when this event developed. I will always show my mistakes, never hide one, or make a lame excuse to shift blame,  as it may help someone deal with a simple mistake...this makes us LEARN to never do THAT again!!!

100_0046.JPG.e1369bee4e067f63eb640d02e39f3438.JPG^^^ see a physics issue there???  Ok, look at how the puller is set up!!  It simply cannot ever do anything except ruin the pulley. or not move if it is strong enough...or you wake up in time!! When I mess up...it is BIGTIME and so obvious to another onlooker.  Helpers are great to have, if the help is by watching your known fast/tired issues LOL

100_0057.thumb.JPG.54d29855feafb7802027eb4725368012.JPG

^^^ I had to get the crawler to lift the motor enough to let the belly pan drop away, then go further to remove the entire clutch, then the flywheel and only then can the bell be removed.  I knew the flywheel teeth were stripped in a few sots as the starter would (very rarely )make that zinging sound of teeth not meshing. Yes it could have been a solenoid travel issue, but I always watched that travel when starting as I was right at that spot with the remote button.

Ok, below: the pressure plate bolts need removing first, always look at the bolts as it must have been messed with during a cars life.  look for wrong ones, unshouldered ones that are definitely wrong as most are shouldered design to keep the plate in perfect spot.  But, I never saw this before on an "early" auto.  The bolts were unequal length, but look at washers that "mabe" is a sign of a crude but very effective way to balance a wheel if there is a engine vibration.  I have done this on semi modern cars,,,althout it takes time, it certainly works.

100_0058.thumb.JPG.b8ec20937b198cd6d5325dd9c742fab2.JPG

^^^I saw that one short bolt had a stack, so that means or should mean, that the extra washers were not just making a "too long" bolt work. Oh, the strap:  Bob Jr gets those free at a high end plumbing supply chain.  These are a complete pre measured loop.  There are used and come on, a huge bundle of long copper water pipes. They leave the pipe factory like that.  They are not supposed to be reused/  Perhaps OSHA?.  Bob said they are 3000lb rated, so I looked at the red info tag today...it STARTS at 3000 on a straight pull, but increases by how it is used in a different way...up to I think 6000. Boy these are sweet, narrow so they can nestle into a crevice, or get around things, never causing damage to like a "top mounted"OHV valve cover etc.

Lets talk safety here,  The clutch plate and more importantly these older flywheels can really cause injury, if the get hung up, or stuck but then pop loose. The city 5 minutes away had a Mayor who was once a VW and Ford dealer mechanic.  He told me how he lost all or most of his teeth , laying on a creeper on a big series truck that can't firt on their lift.  He did somethin g wrong and the wheel with those super nasty gear teeth ended up slamming straight down on him.  He still talks just fine, ax he got into the aution hose business, has his own building for weeklty auctions, and is the only "caller".  Hey, her also has a International Highwheeler, a Ford AA or BB flatbed, and a early 60s VW Karman Ghia conv. , and must have more, but these I have seem him on the road with. Cool guy to be around, and for talking "antique anything", as well as local history.

100_0059.thumb.JPG.1db7350dd1b11fd92c8cecd15d425155.JPG

^^^ I never ran into a clutch setup exactly like this, so I wanted to learn what needs to be done, to let the plate drop out.  now I DO have a GM 34-35 LaS/Cad shop manual in the house, but you simply cannot learn how to figure out a weird one, like maybe you will run into that never had a manual :).  I found a huge nut holding the fork pivot, and a nbig one is odd.  Sure enough, although that nut never came out completely (I will look later why), the plate can drop out which lets the disc drop out too.

.100_0060.thumb.JPG.bc20ca0842357d6b9e017c9417e2529c.JPG.^^^^ I se so many people ion here or hamb that really are running so blind on proper clutch INSPECTION, before or during the replacement.  I get so tourqed off when I have made a perfect suggestion to do, before the guy who asked online, puts a new clutch in.  I have no clue if they think "all new parts" will cancel the need to go further in looking or testing?? or in some cases, don't want to take more pieces out as they lack courage?

My first warning sign was when ONLY the pressure plate was out.  I chalked those two signs of these spots being a high spot, and a high spot ALWAYS shows odd wear, and often blue colored or burned look.  But that does not mean the plate is a high spot! ..until you keep looking .  Look at the flywheel surface:... same two opposite spots.  At this point, if I was not using my perfect used wheel with perfect teeth, I'd set it up on my Aamco lathe to spin it with a dial indicator, to see if those ARE high spots, or was the plate warped instead, which can transfer those wear spots on VERY rare occasions through the disc itself.  I assume both have high spots, even though it is very odd that they look like a match?  The wheel surface is also full of surface heat cracks which is not really the death call of any wheel if rare or whatever.

Chalk on fiber disc surface just shows where the material is at the end of service life, as these spots show shine at those brass rivets.

I wish I got the camera issues better, as the TOB is a graphite/carbon insert, not a bearing. The insert is padst it's wear limit, causing wear of the iron insert housing.

I am really tired right now but will finish the trans looking now too,

100_0061.thumb.JPG.7b41beb07e6caa67bf4a2a309385826a.JPG

^^^ very odd..to see little chipping at that spot on the input shaft.  I will look into why later, as rain was possible,

100_0062.thumb.JPG.a942ad7fc3526db9a66a4b259ea79ba7.JPG

.^^^^ see the stick pointing to rings or a spiral groove?  That is a spiral groove, it pulls oil back into the trans, but only if it has proper clearance to the bore hole it rides in,..TOO large of bore means oil will not get dragged as much..and leaks.

But something else is very unusual here.  The spiral shows uneven color around the whole circumference. I must investige the cause later.  Very unusual!  Oh and look at that mint ball bearing, called mainshaft bearing, or input main, etc.  It is mint and feels smooth as silk ;;please never listen to keyboard experts that DEMAND a good job only comes from replacing ALL bearings, (p/s they ain't cheap)

We all know there are tons of sketchy parts out there, right? Clint Eastwood voice: "Are ya feelin lucky"...meaning take a chance that maybe you are going to have a new one go bad quickly, or at least SOONER than a mint used USA one??

Ok this trans type/style is a near twin to the 360up Buick big series var one, but it has a different TOB actuation desing. and a different type of "bore: for that oil spiral thing.  Here is the later buick style which is more likely the style you will see or have seen:

100_0064.thumb.JPG.88067e2bfe67bb6360422204f84df80f.JPG

^^^^ that pipe type thing with a wider baser is for the later types of "snout, or bearing retainer, or TOB guide tube or old sghool speak  ...Candle stick.. <<<pick a name, they get different tags on the net,.

This is a slip on type, held firmly by being squeezed between trans face and bell on later Olds, some mid 50s pont, and lots of Cad, as ewell as LaSalles from 37 up!  The 36 -38 buick and I am sure a bit later, have a bolt on one.  On hotrod use, there could be a wrtong one on your old rod trans.  A cool old school survivor guy that lived that era, added info on hamb...he says the 37 only (favorite rod trans since news) uses the only small ID hole candlestick. The 38 up as well as Cad to 53 uses a bigger ID bore, so if your 37 got a later candle stick, your trans WILL leak oil.  More to this stuff like most all needing a full face gasket at trans-to-bell surface...but I cannot type any more... bye

• Like 1

more info flywheel and those possible rebalance washers:

If I had a crystal ball and knew I was going to just replace a pilot bushing in the crank, and then re-use all the old clutch/flywheel, I would have shown that I put a marked number at each bolt hole in the pressure plate AND the mating hole in the wheel, the six baggies with same one through 6 numbers to each hold that precise bolt, and exact stack of washers.... this would be if I knew the motor had zero vibrations at ANY rpm speed.

Ok, burned/scored wheel that needs refacing at a shop:  Let's say the car never ever had chatter or any soft/ or /harsh vibrations at any rpm ... we can skip the following step below:

If you are purely chasing clutch chatter and are 100% positive it is not an external issue like loose rubber eng/trans mounts, poorly aligned clutch push rod linkage, or whatever else. like anti chatter rods broken/missing on Ford Flathead v8..and you KNOW it is inside the clutch area....  You simply MUST run a dial indicator test on the flywheel surface out at the furthest edge of diameter as well as mid point.  Make notes before sending that wheel out for redo.  And make reference marks to the crank hole pattern IF the wheel CAN go on in different orientation,  Most will only go on in one placement, like a dowel or one hole is offset.

Get the wheel back from shop, now install and dial test again.  You want that measure to match the book spec on that engine or car as to acceptable runout.  It may list 1 to 3 thou.  but verify that.  this is NEVER done anymore that I see on hamb or here.  People throw new parts on expecting it will cure a chatter, then get all teed off at the car when it still does. Use your head, not listening to a friend who said book tests are full of Bla Bla...

ok, no dial indicator and can't afford or borrow?  Make a simple tool bracket....  a solid feeling bracket bolted to bell holes or where-ever, then set to be just 20 thou? away from the face on the wheel.  It is more time, but use feeler gauge tests as you stop the wheel in maybe 6 locations. Keep trying different size feelers to know if it is out at all, or how much it is.

I will show this dial test on a video? or pics, when I do my replacement wheel, and other pics in the clutch area, while I diagnose all the things I saw that were odd today. Maybe take a week to get there, not sure when.

another thing to test in there...the crank end play,,,,the back forth movement that may be around 3 thou, but surely not excessive like my motor here.  I WILL find out why for sure.  Mine is too much just by eye...cannot be ignored ..

morning all, 8:30 am update... I have been up since 4:30 he, he...rarin' to go...but not a dam hint of a clue what I should do today...which now, seems to have a reason.  Bear with me...you all know 'I'm off my nut", or "off my tree", but hopefully you know it is in a good way.... Way too many thoughts coming at me at my quiet space...so many, that I felt like Custer at his last stand... all thoughts to the reasons or revalation on why I am in a place now, that is "the way it always should have been''...same words I used yesterday about finding out that the back 1/3rd 35 feet long room, is so perfect for the place for all the LaSalles and work...even though I never thought it was a good space for 10 years...LOL

So, I read AACA. ...I went to my What IS It request about a Cord mirror...and AJ was the only reply overnight.  He said sorta "It ain't no Cord".. he,he, so as I was typing my reply, it hit me that it might be LaS?..and why I thought so?...  So I went to the shop to get the mirror to test fit where it might go, but this was after I tried to find it in my 33-37 Cad/LaS factory parts book to no avail...as well as scanning old vintage LaS pics...Nada.  And just now trying it, I can't see how this mirror can mount in any possible area, and still sit right...

So, as in my new "life", one thing always leads to another, just like my entire past was doing..but NOW I am totally aware that when I see those signs, I now act!!!

In that Parts Book, I tried again to find a bizzare acc'y thingy...but failed once again to find it, just like the rear seat back GM heater I found and tried to see in the parts book..

Bear with my crypitic postings as always...  I am now waiting for a place to open this morning to get that weird acc'y IF still available.  I had said no to myself, as I don't want to be chasing or finding funds to buy things that I don't need, nor know if MY car ever had that before it was parted out, or just not wanting to relive the days when I thought I need stuff like that ....to try to make me happy..

as soon as I know it is still available there, I will update with pic.  in the mean time, ponder my last words above that I did the Bold type..

1 hour ago, F&J said:

In that Parts Book, I tried again to find a bizzare acc'y thingy...but failed once again to find it

1 hour ago, F&J said:

...  I am now waiting for a place to open this morning to get that weird acc'y IF still available. 

I'm Baaaa.... ak... :)

The place I needed to go was my bank that does my checking and is linked to papal which is for Paypal.... I just cannot ever know if I have enough in checking due to auto deposit SSI and a tiny retirement monthly deposit... I try to use the montly bank statement, but it is ending a week or two before both deposits, and this past month, I know I used Paypal for friend Joe's car books and one for me.  I just could not tell if I was cutting it too close, so I did a green stuff deposit to definitely cover this purchase.  I did not dare hit the buy it now before going...AND the seller JUST dropped it 50 bucks from maybe some sort of requirement by ebay for long running "ebay store" items?? 

I wrote to the seller 3 weeks ago, asking what were the "pieces missing" note.  And what is your best price including shipping to my zip...as it WAS a "or make offer listing".  He never replied, so as I don't really need to spend funds on such things, as well as never finding a 34 LaS pic with this installed, I figured it must be distracting to the look of the car? ....and if only one "watcher" was noted on the ad, I figured that is proof that no 34 only LaS/Cad owner wants it, nor cares what it finally sold for by not hitting the "watch this" button??

Folding, or rather swing in??? luggage rack, definitely made ONLY to fit the odd tubes of the shock absorber bumper pipes...only on 34 Cad and LaS.  damaged by a sawzall by cutting them off the car,  the half round (and missing) circular clamps..

las1.jpg.3fe3bdb6d0756a7d929510974f27e899.jpglas4.jpg.ca5ed1e702c8123f212d607c39d39618.jpglas2.jpg.3991dcc18326cef83ac22ff31e446519.jpglas3.jpg.ac0627b57899d7770f2db8168f5ebef4.jpglas5.jpg.64646ace3345ce657f6be83857f19ebd.jpg

Well, if they are ugly on the car, I can't know that unless I buy them and try.....and I sure do know, I will be stuck with them as nobody else wants them....whatever, I can handle the risk no matter what happens...

boy, whomever cut these off was a newbie.. :)  I am sure I can make the missing half circle things as I think they are steel? not Diecast??  but the steel rod on one seems like it must go though a new drilled/grommeted hole in the rear of body to anchor to something solid.on each side of car...and I sure do not know if these can possibly fit the Conv and coupe bodies, as the sedan has a long trunk, not a rumble and a short lower trunk...gulp... lol

AJ, (or other readers for sure) what do you think?  I realize that you don't care for add-ons, I know that, but clear your thoughts for a moment on this weird one.  I can see how that,  if they do fold in, pointing at each other, and sitting as low as I believe, they could be very cool to look at for chat item at a show??..... in other words, give shy folks a reason to start a conversation with me?

I like them... if they fit I'd want to use them if only because having the ability to carry a trunk seems a good idea. Could they be aluminum? I can't tell from the photos but that is what I'd make them out of. I don't think, even in period, they would have thought pot metal was suitable but I detest the stuff and wouldn't use it anywhere so I am prejudiced. I'm certain you can make the missing half of the clamps as long as they weren't cut off above the "half way" mark. If they were, it will be more difficult.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JV Puleo said:
  1. I'm certain you can make the missing half of the clamps

I tagged you as I finally remembered to post my Lathe info:  South Bend model A.  A lathe guru on hamb told me about the gap bed when I posted a pic, then said he had restored two A's recently, and that gap/bed, as well as the taper attachment... are like the "top" options?  He called it a Big 10, but I don't see it on any tag

Ok, easy day, decided to scrape and powerwash the motor that has been hanging in my lot since late yesterday.  Now that I started, the wind picked up so it can dry off quickly so I can then do another scrub with two types of cleaners, then P-wash again, then air nozzle force dry, then wait a bit to repeat.  I will use PPG urethane reducer this time.  The purple can is some pre-painting final cleaner for car repainting I think...it dries too quick, but each cycle gets it better.     The PPG reducer, I got cases for free with all that paint stuff, and why bother tring to sell it as they will want it for nothing even if I priced it at 20$ a gallon...it must be more than 50$/gal? ( PPG haul was from Kenny...as well as my lathe a year before  LOL.)

100_0071.thumb.JPG.ca8f32b9530eb33d3eb15ac0909f0f4f.JPG

Kenny just called which never happens during the day.  He said his PW regulator went bad on his Cummins 1st Gen Dodge pickup on the Wednesday trip to central NY.  He did try to get a replacement rear window "opening" repair piece to fix Tim's 3, but struck out, but is bringing me the other half of a small sheetmetal barbeque grille that was never used...lol..he insists we/me can see how it will work as a window opening.  Anyways he needs some modded piece of the "new" regulator mig welded. He does not want to use brazing or stick weld at his place due to heating too much? 

I said I need him to look at the old parts LaS motor laying out with crank exposed to get an idea of the thrust freeplay "adjustment" with some odd technique we dream up.  :)

and friend Joe showed up from supposed two trips, one to NY upstate for a barn wood deal , after doing something to his Vermont get away place.  He said his plans changed when he arrived there to see a tornado hit the house.  One big tree barely missed one gable end, and the other one was further away and went straight at the house but just the tops brushed the dust off the siding ..he,he.  He really liked the new "LaSalle garage" down back.  Me too, and one reason more is that we now MUST walk past all of the other prewars in my long building to get there :)  ...Tim's 34 Ford first, then the 32 Nash, then 32 Ford, then into the big LaSalle room... "ROOM"...I like that name lol.... so I did put up an abandoned sign I found when we moved here...The last owner left it in the top barn as we call it.

100_0068.thumb.JPG.1bc9692efa33591ba2900926925facb6.JPG

It must have been hanging in this building up front somewhere, when the last owners wife ran a furniture store. I have to assume from it's style, that it did not hang in the front of that "barn", which in the hippy days was a storefront for homemade pottery...the pottery was made in my big building where a school friend of my son, said "my Gramma was a hippy, she had big electric kilns in there"  That is why my big building is on it's own line coming from a transformer junction across from my driveway....and that's why I have "big power" in there.  My home has it's own "substandard" 70A service line off another pole, so lucky me...I have THREE power bills per month, two lines and a third bill for a genuine street light and pole in my lot.

( That HIP HOP plate  ^^^ , the State DOT road crew guys used to give me all the car stuff found on I-84 during my 10 years there, including LOTs of out of state plates.  I had that plate covering the stack hole on the dozer when we leave it outside....my son insists that ancient plate MUST be from some notable hop artist back then?)  I stuck it there so I won't keep using it like that he,he

>>>>EDIT right now, here this morning,  I now have a chance to finish this post that I started yesterday at around 3PM...  Kenny showed up earlier than he said,  I fixed his part, and we spent !.% hours BS'ng, mostly because he said on the phone that he was having a "worst day ever, everything he touched turned to chit". One thing we looked at the was the junk LaS block/crank/thrust bearing.... Some ideas exchanged, but later after he left, I did get a brainstorm on a possible bizarre fix but I need to remove the rear cap to know more.

100_0067.thumb.JPG.8abe84e539f24c4fac9a20c72e3c8336.JPG

^^^ one thing he said, it is not a junk block because of the center main cap is gone... he said take one from the cracked 35 engine, "and make it work".  That was always an option to me, "IF" the cap is bored fairly close inline to the missing one.

Not sure if I should finish the motor cleaning or try to get a plan going to fix/make/install the last part of Tim's "job" here.  Kenny was thinking he could get us a replacement back cab panel with window area in central NY this past Wednesday, but nothing was there useable.  Kenny brought me the second half of a small sheetmetal barbeque grill,...he insists I can make a cab window surround??? WTH..? Boy, the work schedule for this entire mid year has filled up in just 2 weeks.  I need to get the 34 out quick. 86 rear crash Mercedes next, or Kennys 17 Dodge, then Mercer09's 37 Cord.. wheew..

• Like 1

Quick "update at 11" no pun  intended.  I had no solid plans for today...you should know that by now.  I decided to skip the engine wash finish as well as Tims 34...to see if I had a good clutch on the "apart" engine.  That sorta went into overdrive..going deeper and faster (no sexual pun intended).....I knew this was the perfect time for you guys/gals to perhaps learn masybe just one thing about something??  Perfect bright day for outside work/camera, and despite working in freshy disturbed soil...still perfect timing.

THIS post is INCOMPLETE...as I am am being "forced" (not the right word really), to stop, clean myself up, go to Walmart to return this POS KODAK worthless s.....y , product that is "inerferring with not only my thread, also my er, um...???  happiness is all I can think of..

Note the first pic has words to show my irritation, that left unchercked, leads me to anger....which is the last part of me that needs to go byebye...and I know I can, dammit <(oops, please note:  that word was typed with a smile, not a frown)

100_0072.JPG.3ffa71e33d4f9c2f7011baecc57ab8ad.JPG

^^^ first pic with emptied memory, and still fuzzy, still shows FULL as soon as I took it.  This was before I asked my son to please help me, fix it, but I don't want to "learn how right this moment".  He just kept insisting I learn the jackass buttons etc... I pretended to, sort of but I already forgot...but it does not matter...I'm junking this POS.  The receipt I taped right to the window where I sit...just like the new laptop,  That is to find it quick as I know I.T. stuff sucks...sometimes/most times in my world.  It says 15 day return on "COMPUTERS" not cameras?.  so I will demand they return/exchange for anything besides the KODAK crappy brand...I did "pre-impression" the Kodak brand as junk/inferior, even thought I have said we should not pre-impression anything...but right this moment I now realize I meant doing that by someone else's opinions...so there  :) , I was OK to do that as my past experiences were now backed up..

Guess what? Son insisted to try a pic to see if it showed memory full after one pic, so I told him to take this pic below:

100_0075.JPG.b6216b91966af70d06b282c7d946ac2c.JPG

Then I took one more after he left,...below:

100_0076.JPG.b312c9962a2a0a8c516b26133b77b360.JPGWell, imagine that...shows FULL at 3 stinking pics.  Are they serious???

Trying to post the tech before I forget.. This is so unusual above.  The mains are typical, they are very thick insert bearings, but all still do have what is babbit, but thincker that the ones that kept getting thinner over the decades to follow.  Thick babbit is more likely to flake off or crack off at edges...but that may not have been the case when barely 5 years old...not 85 yrs.  Ok, glare but look at the 2nd main from left. Look at the edge of it's insert closely...you can see some babbit flaked away, but that is not a big deal, or an engine killer.

but.. wow, never saw this ever...look at the two rod caps on far right!  one is poured babbit like I presumed, due to 1934 era.  But other is one with an insert!! But it was the only one...wth??? 

So, what is what and why?  Maybe it says my only good motor which is super early like, 600 engines total count when car was built, should be older babbit, and does it hint that the later 34-36 LaS inlines went to insert rods??? we will find out as I take 5 motors here apart at some point way away from today, I presume.  What I am meaning, is that that one rod must indeed "fit" a LaS inline, so can I say it would likely NOT be from another brand of car?  or can I think that maybe by say, 1939, there was a aftermarket rod made for older cars?  Not too hard to think the last one.  When your auto shop worked on your old babbitted rod car, he normally just got rebuilt rods.  That was 100% typical.  So, if the "market" knows you buy a rod, then aftermarket companies surely could have made a new rod with insert capabilities, right?

100_0077.JPG.51b043b22d02e0ad2e81789e7af0d695.JPG^^^ first from left, chalk is supposed to show an eroded pocket  in the babbit of that main bearing insert.  Likely acids from older oils sitting dormant.  2nd one heading right is the flaked edge main,.. then the next main was supposed to show tiny embedded shiny flakes of ultra thin metal, ...>> This is a sign of the engine was "going away" with maybe lack of oil....It came from somewhere, so you need to check that source of flakes later.

100_0078.JPG.24cee7b28ada0738c13dc534161906a5.JPG^^ so much here above: monster wide double row "silent chain" type, worn out, very, very ODD front crank seal...it sits in a place BEHIND the front cover, and only it's face is sealing out oil and also water from getting in...I never saw this setup before.  look at the shiny spot to the right of that spring..that it a wear plate riveted to cover, for that spring loaded button to be inserted in front of camshaft....that keeps the cam from walking front to back.. it/this is typical for decades in principle.

he, he, dummy me, this front pulley barely needed a dang puller IF you use it right LOL...seriously, when brand new, with no oil varnish...  it would slide right off, just like my sexy 50s Olds Rocket V8s..  The Chevy SBC was "safety" bolted, but pressed on stupidly tight...likely as their previous 6's that never had a safety bolt on a lighter press fit damper, those sixes would spit the pulley off while driving...so I assume they did not want to chance that on the new unproven SBC?  IDK, but I hate chevy's system, as a mechanic standpoint or even just a backyarder too, as they have far less tools!!

Ok, I did get two or more pics in the middle or starting of disassembly, but I need the follow ups taken before I post the clutch/TOB, fork type etc which is pretty cool stuff.. But MUST give myself a break by returning the awful camera.  I know If I later read this ending, I will not forget what I wanted to point out..

Not planned update an hour later...and pretty fun one for me to share...

I was sitting on my front porch havinf=g a much needed strong coffee befor returning my camera ... the saw a the older Dakota 4x4 owned by "bobby" a HS school friend of all my son's friends too.  We found out late yesterday that Bobbie was coming back from his home in Marth's Vinyard off Cape Cod Mass..( what A life, eh? if you know of the Vinyard)...he was, and all his friends, attending a family annual memorial picnic for a Passed Away Uncle. 

Then following, was my son's Jetta with  Riley riding along... I mentioned to Joe, my son, I need to return my camera that he just reset.  He was in a rush to get something here so they all could get to the event, but went through the lame instructions despite my saying "go have fun instead". He found out the words said "install chip" , but he knew there was no chip that came with it, and closer looking, the words that listed what was in the box did NOT mention the chip..  (ok, tell me if I am the ass here, but if you buy a new car, is it acceptable that it has tires that only can be driven 30 miles before needing cooling off...BUT when you realize it, they will SELL you normal tires???  Enough of silly negatives...lets get to the Cooool part... :) 

Son hints around..."maybe wondering...um...er...could WE take the hot rod?''  I can't use the words here, but "you sure the .....WILL"

I said check oil/water, esp water as that guy with the souped up flattie powered 32 at the cruise said: "don;'t fret if the water seeks it's own happy level that seems to low, just fill it a bit, if it spits a bit later, you are now good to go, no matter what YOU THINK".

So, I went to get a 1/2 gal water from the house, while they opened that bay, and I saiod as I went, pump the s oiut of iot...meaning despite the elecprime pump, the twin 49 Olds backdraft carbs that have no chokes (by my desire) need a bit extra to fire it off.  Well I am waiting at the house...no noise from there??? I go to see, and son says I know I flooded it.  Long story short after some fiddling by me, I said "get out, IKT needs ME"  lol.

I get in, figuring is NEEDS gas, I whacked the pedal 5 tim es and it fired in a split second...and I was so exicted to know my car will get enjoyed by lots of people today...I reved it up anfd doewn like the teenager I am would... I then said It just needed a hug from it's daddy...they about died...as I patted it as I got out... lol

Pic shows Joe coming up to me with water waiting..

100_0079.thumb.JPG.069847ce544af038793b626e11d91a35.JPG

All my cars "rock my world", but the souped up Ford with the 324 Olds Rocket and Buick top shift, 40 ford dash...bla bla just makes me think of a powerful, in your face, WW2 Hellcat fighter plane raring to go on the flight deck of a carrier...

Riley on left, Joe on right... below, readying to "take off from the carrier"..

100_0080.thumb.JPG.4dd3284cebd23596040fc14b194b6d7f.JPG

I said which way you turning at the road?...Left..he said, I run halfway up our drive to get that awesome view I always see as that car leaves, 100 feet down the road...it just is so dang cool, and everyone agrees...But "image that"... wait for it....the memory was FULL at two pics... LMAO!!  :))

The car will be splattered all over facebook today I am sure... I said "You better dam well have a good freaking time", and "I am so stoked after years of toil and very long pauses, my efforts will make so many smiles today!!"  life is good, folks, can't be any better for us here... his friends included..They are all outstanding young'uns.. dang proud of the whole bunch..

one more unplanned update today.  I saw the grey skies charging in, so I knew if it was to rain, I must get those engine parts and tools indoors...but looking at radar, all is OK all the way out into/beyond Central NY state... So, no need to call my son to say I don't want you to leave a good gathering by getting the Ford home and that I simply don't care that it gets soaked.,  a long time Yankee that knows environmental damages all too well, will say the same as I , rain is not tragic, unless the insides of doors are full of road dust that will then stay wet/damp for many months..

I need to post this stuff on this engine before I get lost on another task..

Here is what I forgot, that is critical to Kenny and I, wondering how to fix the excessive end play on the crank.  I am pretty exicted to see this, and can't wait to call Kenny tonight.

100_0082.JPG.f01eaa2a0eb6bd598eaaef2966c6dc60.JPG

Sorry, I HAD to put TOO many items in a pic, but I am now down to ONE pic before camera is FULL. ( I certainly will send a unedited, unabashed email to Kodak, not fearing a thing, like being deleted instantly as a crackpot, or a low-rent person who spares no "very descriptive adjectives", or if they would ever threaten me for some online bashing of THEM..  I fear nothing and no-one, in person, or anywhere else.  Ask those who know me.  Enough negative, lets go to the important fun stuff here:

You are looking at the front of crank, the double row sprocket for the cam chain, then... the FRONT main bearing cap laying on the sprocket.  That front cap is the dang Thrust!! Never saw a thrust up front, I have seen the typical rear cap location, as well as some 60S Olds I think had it one cap ahead of the rear?  as well as there must be one with thrust at center.

Ok, this is so cool of a spot from me to fix, being that I want to save my good engines bearing inserts,  See that cap, then see that it's insert has only ONE thrust side to "push" against the crank?  Now look at the other inset half of that #1 main journal, it is the rust stained one laying on #1 rod crankpin...see that it has TWO thrust sides!  Ok, two thrust sides means the insert width alone is what maintains the end play...and I bet if I ever open the Factory 34/35 Cad/LaS shop manual, it will say the obvious...that IF the end play IS excessive , you MUST replace both halves of #1 insert. I don't need a book for this car, nor engine, etc...it is all common sense on these years of autos/trucks!

I say, guess again book people from long ago, I cannot now go to the parts window back in the 1930s...so I will tell you how I, or Kenny, would fix it "PROPERLY" and be actually better that stock!! How's that for confidence???  Ok, being that my first official dealer training was when I started with VW of America (in Jan 1970), and it's "regional' training/secretarial/parts warehouse/ car distributorship for the Northeast USA, in Orangeburg NY called World Wide Volkswagen...I know a exactly HOW to do this mod :

VW aircooled from at least 1938 uses different thicknesses of end play shims that ride between the "rear main" thrust bearing side, and the flywheel machined wear surface for those shims.  The Flywheel when removed, you see always.... need..... to see THREE shims.  Three is needed for physics to prevent: he, he...thrust surface WEAR!  Vw figured out that if only one thicker shim was used, it still will spin and wear, but slightly less, their tests say that 3, allows each to spin at different speeds to lessen the wear at the soft thrust surface of the Main bearing thrust side!

Ok, I thought of that when Kenny and I looked at the "rear" main, but we both new you cannot slide a circular shim(s) close to the rear bearing, because most all cranks have a raised ring that is a oil slinger, to throw oil back into the pan, that is always squirting out of the bearings. I thought of crazy things like all designers do, like getting the crankshaft onto Kenny's monster lathe, to cut that slinger off, then that allows circular shims to slide past it, to the bearing side.  Then make a new press-on slinger like some engines do have!  It is too much work, so it was a passing idea only.

But, look at the front mounted slinger...it sure looks like a square sided, hinting perhaps, a separate piece???  I have no desire to try to safely remove that sprocket to find out, and this engine task is only being done right now to:  Find good parts for mine, or find a guaranteed way to fix the freeplay later,,, not now today. So use your head...how can I tell if that slinger might be separate? Why easy...A slinger/wear surface should be hardened, a crank is soft, even if Forged!  So that file was run across the center of #1 journal right at center...Why the center? because there is an oil groove there, and normal crank wear will leave the center at factor spec, but also now will be higher. The file dug right in like soft metal...  Then run the same file on the slinger...I could not even get a bite...so, yippie, It is a separate part that will slide right off when I press the sprocket off, then I simply add VW style shims that can be had from rear differential side carrier shims or the big end of the pinion bearing shims...how easy can it be??

Ok, back to those TWO halves of #1 bearing shells. One has front/back thrust, but the cap is only one side thrust??? Well VW related again...the VW cam has the same dang setup for reason unknown to most VW mechanics... but on race VW we always had to buy TWO cam bearing sets, then use the I/2 of one set that has twin thrusts, to add to the other set...to make twin thrusts on that cam thrust area!  I don't need to do that at all.  It will be just fine no matter what the engine is used for...we are talking crank play which as Kenny reminded me yesterday ;) .. that wearing is caused by pressure on the crank if the clutch pedal is down only, and your force is doing the thrusting!!   He said "abnormal for the mileage", wear, is from very short trips or stop and go city... Kenny is pretty dang informed I'd say !! He will really like hearing how "we" can now fix "my" issue.

I am tired, so I know I won't care to finish the powerwash of my motor today...no need to rush on that...and I need to food shop...I am loosing weight!!! I dropped 2.5 pounds from YEARS of rock steady never changed readings!!  Having great fun still. Bye

• Like 1

Despite the late hour, and not wanting to talk till 2 am like Kenny prefers... I just had to tell him or actually have him guess where the thrust location was... He was a shocked as I, but still has his freakin' game on...he said, "well, you can just slip shim on the snout after you pull the slinger...He, he...attaboy Kenny.  He agreed, I was wrong when I was so tired today, I first thought the shim goes in front of #1 bearing, but after I had a decent meal, I knew it has to be behind the main, he said, "just lift the crank up a bit to get the shim there."

I said I need to buy that square split thing to use on a puller...but he said :"I got plenty"" I will give you one" :) 

He was in high gear when figuring where that one insert rod came from, and first thought like mine said "aftermarket", but instantly said use MoTors to check stroke on Buick or Pontiac later 30s straight eight, but then said "how long did LaS use that inline?"  DING, I said I will look up in my 30-37 Cad/LaS parts book... the LaS was inline till end of 36...hmmmn, Ford went insert in mid 36...so I want to bet 35-36 LaS might be an insert?... I will look it up in the AM... bye

my last post for a long while maybe.  And the most bizarre one yet.  I said I do my best problem solving and "whatnot" on my tiny enclosed front porch each and every morning for perhaps 8 years...  This morning I was putting together a big post in my head about all the pics I struggled to take with ''needed" but not included Chip, caused by some asinine, & ignorant marketing ploy", and great tech on the two clutches I took apart, AND the "coincidence" (not) of finding a pair of NOS 34 LaS clutch disc linings for dirt cheap very last night on ebay, only because I got an ebay email showing my Luggage rack was shipped and due Wednesday... but I "know" it will likely be here Monday, or Tuesday at the latest..

I was prompted? last night to scan that sellers "other Store Items" by typing in LASALLE in his search box, then seeing the disc linings that I MUST have missed when I did my first and only Ebay search for 34 LaS parts 3?Weeks ago...  All that stuff I just wrote sent my mind deeper into finding the final and last reason on how/why, I really am at some sort of mental and physical utopia, and I already knew It is impossible that I ever fall back..

I am stuck here,  I cannot continue my thread without being forced by "something" or some" push" to mix my present personal level and I how...and right now here on AACA, I feel at this moment, the resto place is not the proper place. Also I have no desire to put effort into getting in my car to go find a chip local, or even do a quick order on ebay..  Something says I don't "need" to ...so I will finish washing my motor hanging from the dozer. I need that dozer "freed" from it's present situation, to go gather the last 34 motor laying out back...the matching number one from my conv...  Bye

12 hours ago, chistech said:

That spring loaded cork timing cover seal is just like my 32' Olds. I too had never seen one like it before.

Can you tell me your solution on the seal "replacement needs"  on your rebuild of the engine?  I have not had the spare moment yet to even look at it, as to if the seal can be "rebuilt" If Pease does not have a NORS one?

related to OLDS, and that the 34 LaSalles went to the Olds 8...I also would like to say that I did have the "peace of deperated need mind" to research "why" my spare engine had both insert rod bearings as well as poured bearings:.   Using inspirational conversation with Kenny...It sparked me to get into the factory 1930? to 37 Cad/LaS parts manual.  I dislike GM parts books, I find then difficult to master.  Anyways, it shows "model 350" which I assume is perhaps the Olds powered LaSalles from 34-36, as using only insert rods!  At this point, I assume some person back then, simply put earlier Olds rods in that engine, as a patch job! 

Ok, my stalled thread, trying to keep this short of "words".  I have zero "plans" to restart it.  I must find a way "in due time" to continue it, but I refuse to stop mixing tech with philosophy.  Why?..when this should be only tech?  Because this thread I always "knew" would be my "best one in MY mind" ever.  I have done so many threads on tech, and restos (conservations in reality, as I do not restore cars), and each single one splattered over many years on diiferent websites have always brought many praises. I don't do these for glory, or fame.  I am driven by the now apparent need to tell a story, tell of history, not just tech.  I am so interested in history of each car, or who had it, etc. ... but also this LaS thread was to show how a poor person can "get" a cool car that they thought was out of reach, as well as how to do repairs, rather than the "brainwashed" idea of "you MUST always send an engine out to the known Marque expert for a rebuild" that is so far out of reach in costs to most mid income folk, let alone poor people. That is pure horsechit.  They ALL are a freakin motor, period in my mind and in MY shop!   I will be "tearing into" a Cord motor very soon, ...I never did one before but I sure am NOT intimidated by a simple engine.

I will show in due time, and never needing the 34-35 LaS shop manual, except for "specs".   I conserve, not restore.  I always was disgusted at Hershey when finally realizing that the all mighty, overdemanding AACA rules, dictated that that silly little grille badge is the whole most important point of the hobby to achieve, and is WELL worth BUTCHERING a beautiful survivor to get.  But they finally became "undead" with the new survivor class,finally.    ....finally,... just like I finally got to the utopian place that I always needed to be, but took 65 years.

I now know why I liked/loved the Ben's Mill documentary so much, as it shows what can be achieved by an "unschooled" person, in a sketchy old building, with far outdated tools, with local products like native sawn wood, and pre-used metals.  He simply was doing what he loved, it was HIS utopia.  Ben put his priorities in the proper oder from likely his youth?  He never let society's demands to preplan his every living moment.  He did recall the past, but never mention tomorrow, he relished "today"  the only real and important part of life, the way it was always supposed to done.  ...

However, Ben's story or build threads of the wood watering tub and others that you cannot view online for free, had help.  He was not burdened with the task of planning what to say, meaning the production crew did editing of unneeded speak or video segments.  Ben did not have to do that.  Ben did not have to prethink what the viewers "needed" to see on his builds, that was somebody else's task. He did not have to operate the camera,nor have to deal with a camera he was unfamiliar with, and was lacking a memory chip that SHOULD have been INCLUDED with the camera purchase, but was a preplanned, greed driven ploy by the disgusting mainstream corporate world that America has sunk to.  I have NO idea where they find employees that sell their soul to help them, to just earn stinking money?   Money has always been nothing more than a needed tool to me, I do not need more than ONE 3/8" short ratchet!

so, all that to simply say, I was wearing far too many hats, and got worn down by it all.  I am single, Ben had a wife, so he did also not need to do ALL the household responsibilities either, which added to his utopia, not watered it down.  Ben's hobby was his actual employment just like mine, but the difference is that he did not have to also build "another" tub for himself .  I have to do customers prewars for not only needed funds, but also because I love to...I can now "get" to work on a 06 Ford, a 47 woodie, and soon...a 37 Cord!!  Can't wait, dammit.  So I am already overworked by choice, and then this HUGE pile of LaS stuff MUST be sorted, cataloged, spaces cleaned to store it all, and get each savable item indoors or undercover somehow....and still do a great thread here??? 

I will be back when I figure this out.

One more post this morning, all philosophy .... but includes my view on history, personal definition of true "value", and other etc..

I have only one other hobby, but is now restricted from me being able to choose "when" I can experience it...due to what I believe is a man made disease.. Lyme..... I cannot go where I "need to go" at certain seasons when ticks abound.

It is Metal Detecting.  It usually starts with a newbie looking for lost modern day coins in a park, but often can lead to being a hard core "relic" hunter...which I am totally now, and have been for 20 years.  Pure Relic, and Hardcore Colonial (pre USA) as well as post Colonial era.

BELOW: my Ford, and my MD machine laying on the ground, at a field...mixing twin hobbies that day!  I am experienced enough by now, as in most relic hunters can, tell if a field is modern, or if it is colonial, just by seeing "what's in the ground".. This field I believe, is a product of the Depression era CCC workers, making work for unemployed folk...I later, after finding nothing pre 1900's surveyed the edges of one side behind where I was standing here, to see unnatural terrain contours that said it was leveled out by earth moving machines...and I already previously knew it has always been "State land" not farmland.

32small2.thumb.jpg.ae3498e3bf32d135d8a4ad414998e381.jpg

Here are 5 items I have found.  TWO are my all time most treasured Items.  All I will say right now, is that all 5 are "only ones I ever found", meaning I still have not found another of each type.  Only two I will identify here as to what they are...

The two round coin things are:

-the silver coin is clearly dated here as 1726, It is a Colonial era silver coin, used all the way from where the silver was mined and then minted in one of several Spanish dominated/conquered places in South America, all the way through the Carribian islands, then from Florida up and though the coastal areas/colonies, to the southern most edges of Canada.  This silver coin was the most typical silver coin in the colonial era, and came in denominations of : Half reale, 1, 2 and though to 8 reale. The "8" where the term "pieces of eight" of pirate lore comes from.  A * reale was cut up in smaller pieces to make change!  Many colonial coins were also "cut" leaving the term of detectorists as, "I just found a cut coin".  That 1726 above is a one reale, found less that 5 minutes from my home.  It is the same exact coin type recovered from the Florida waters by treasure hunters like Mel Fisher's lifelong quest to find the missing  Athocha Spanish treasure galleon, lost in the famous lost fleet that many of, sank in 1715 by a hurricane.  That fleet was sailing back to Spain with the countless plunders from their pillaging of the South American regions, stealing existing silver artifacts, or later mining silver with those peoples as slaves.  

The other coin is totally eroded, as to known type, or country of origin, found in the same field as the silver coin.  I certainly have found others of what is called "a big copper" that came in many types like King George English, as well as USA Large Cents.  This one is different, and a very cool find as it is a counterfeit "large copper" made by somebody here in the Colonial USA, and that certainly was not uncommon.  I do not or never will know which coin it was made to look like, but MD machines do tell what type or mix of metals, and it ID's as NOT a true copper coin, but loaded with zinc, etc, that turns copper to a form of brass

Ok the other three..

-one is gold, very modern, yet it too, has history or should I say folklore as to it's meaning of the details seen here

-One is silver, very early,

-one is copper very early.

Two of these 5 total items are my most treasured as I said,  but I shall not say right now.  Not as an irritating tease, but to give as many people here adequate time to get to this post to wonder which two.  I then will fully describe each items history,....oh, and as I certainly do now know...everything in my earthly travels is somehow related to something else...ONE of these items was found yet a short walk from my Friend Joe's colonial era home...and his home is right next to, (ON!) a long gone colonial "path" first used by Rev Hooker, leading the first group of English settlers from Newton, Mass a suburb of Colonial Boston, to form new colonies in Central CT, in 1638!! 

I am so utterly disgusted with our pre-planned History Courses of "primary education system"....as that path was called the "Connecticut Path" and such a very important piece of CT history, yet despite me living less that 2 miles from a portion of it for TWENTY SEVEN years,.... I never heard of it till 15-ish years ago!!! What a crime!!!! 

Why all that above??? because it is History, and the realization of history that YOU can discover about you car, it's designers, it's travels and past owners.  It just adds to enjoyments, that's all...and it is up to us, the "individual" in all of us, to determine true value!  Bye!! :)

100_0084.thumb.JPG.2a27601b07029c924d34712c7b1628a4.JPG

6 hours ago, F&J said:

Why all that above??? because it is History, and the realization of history that YOU can discover about you car, it's designers, it's travels and past owners.  It just adds to enjoyments, that's all...and it is up to us, the "individual" in all of us, to determine true value!

A very unplanned post prompted by the luggage rack showing up today, JUST as I said it should, rather than the Ebay notice saying this coming Wednesday.  That is NOT from some supernatural feeling, it was based on past knowledge, and being "awake" completely to decode that email date.

Ok, this will or should shock you.  maybe not.

I have had Pms in the last two weeks about either my thread or in this case, a long time hobby guy who commented on a Plymouth post I made on another AACA forum... I saw that the Plymouth fellow was from the exact location , in a close by State, that I really almost knew my LaS stuff came from ten years ago, to the now deceased owner of the estate .  He later verified that Yes, he did know of the commercial "place" I asked about, and yes there were 34 Cads as well as a  35 conv(just as I said there "was a 35 conv" at that suspected place), LaSalle conv in their showroom.  He could not verify if my stuff was related, but knew everything about the 35, and where/who it was sold to.  That means nothing to this discovery, but just showing his knowledge of that Place.

Ok, when I ordered the luggage rack or perhaps later, I saw the location of the sellers items on one of his items...then later, a "possible 34" part he said "came with a large collection of 34 Cad/LaS parts".

Can you feel it coming yet?  At that point exactly, even not knowing the sellers actual birth name, I knew it was  related to a AACA person, that I spoke on the phone with many years ago about 32 Nash parts... hold on... We talked of many things, not just parts...get it?  When you only want parts talk, you are not opening further doors to further enjoyment..

He perhaps he knew my actual State of residence from my talk, or some other thing, I forget, but said he recently bought a large enclosed trailers worth of random mixed antique parts that were no longer needed.... From...... yep, the now deceased owner of the estate!!  I also remembered later, his name, as told to me by the Late Bob Sr, (the best friend of the estate owner)..  Bob was there that day...he said although total strangers, and despite the business-only typical attitude of the estate owner, there was some sort of mutual "like" coming totally unexpected from Bobs point of view....Bob told me, at the end of filling the last parts, the owner said " come back in the barn, I want to throw in some more slick goodies at NO charge!!  The two "became" in the exact words from the trailer owner to me, "  we became good friends...and actually, he is honestly on my Christmas card list!"

Longer still but needs it.  When I was sorting all of my stuff, two things showed up.  One was many old fashioned string tags with fastly written handwriting, saying "34 LaSalle" sometimes with a double line under the LaSalle word.  The 2nd thing was me constantly looking in all the cars and boxes to try to inventory or look at details... I eventually over 3 days, found 3 sheets of 9x11 note paper with fast messages "to" a person with the same FIRST name as the trailer guy who bought all the NON-LaSalle parts from the estate guy, one more said "save this part for "(the estate owner first name) !!!, and a third said something about keeping "this car right here till Thursday". These sheets were in the yellow sedan body.

Ok, to clear it up, the estate owner would NEVER sell any of HIS 34 LaS parts! I am positive of that, beyond any doubt, so this stuff I now own as well as  the stuff listed on ebay came from some massive collection!!  The rack and the other parts on ebay right now would not have been selected by "mu]=y guy", he did not care for tat incomplete rack? but the other things I see are lesser condition parts he already had mint ones of in what he DID select from this potential huge stash 10 years ago. I need to know why this stuff is now, so much later,,,on ebay?

Ok, I hope I tied all the needed info so far... but the luggage two halves both had the SAME matching old tags with the SAME handwriting as my parts!!!....and...these brackets definitely ARE genuine LaS /Cad 34 accessories with Cad type casting numbers, and each feature, and fastener, is of Cad quality.  These are mostly originally painted body color as I has expected, so that they would "blend in" to the car body, when folded back in, and NOT be a distraction...

They were that medium blue I know I mentioned as a rare color, as that I cannot find a blue conv on Google Images...Hold on..

The two mismatched once fully chromed bumper shock round tubes I installed "just in case" this early morn, one shows peeled chrome except one area, to be an exact MATCH to have had a same rack installed since new!  I have not matched the actual rust "pattern stains on the racks I have, but I know it will match!  The only medium pretty blue parts in my entire stash,,,,is..the swamp 34 convertible body remains that was that same blue..  I will get back with the new restart of the LaS thread as soon as I can.  I also have PMed the person who is tied into this entire long post ... I hope he replies, but from our talk years ago, he is about as busy as our President, without any exaggeration  at intended.  I respect his possible non-reply in that situation,..so I will just continue on here.  I asked him to maybe help me track the former collection that must have been so huge, and where my convertible might trace back to, and that I am not looking for titles or papers...just HISTORY!  :)

life is not only good, it can be quite enjoyable...no joke intended.  Bye! 

PS... there are no coincidences in (my) life, it is merely being totally awake to "see the signs" of how things match up/tie-in,  in your own  reflections of the past..

• Like 1

20 hours ago, F&J said:

it is merely being totally awake to "see the signs"

I should have arrived at the fully awake nirvana that I am now, and know I will aways be...when somone posted  ; "How can you do all this stuff and still do a build thread/"

I cannot, and that's why everything went badly for me and the viewers ..

I will add this last post with two pics only, and very little words.  They are not needed to be more..

I miss working on customers prewars,  I am now fully booked till at least mid autumn, I have closed the shop door to all future work till then, unless a customer has an urgent small job neededing MY skills,, and can be done outdoors in less that a day or so,,....total peace of mind will be maintained that way, like I do have right this day....the "today" that is the only "real" day, and the rest is not important.

I will treturn for one pic post in mid summer I assume, showing a side project for the LaS, that was just a mockup, to see if I was missing something, but went into a finish it situation...The entire Dash and garnish wood stuff.  All will be shocking I am sure. It will knock my eyes out .

Ok, here are the 2 pics.  I took so many more..but do not need to post them.

100_0097.thumb.JPG.f9f234507c24fa8d5f816eceb0ffb292.JPG

100_0098.thumb.JPG.786ce9110217cfc819f40863d79e54c7.JPG

^^ why on earth did I do that?  Well, it is simple.  I wanted to know which of my two "long junked convs" had this luggage rack, which by doing this mock up...makes me know these Cad/LaS trunk racks were/was factory installed on the "swamp car".  This car is now positively iD'd as a beautiful tannish/grey exterior with a beautiful light camel full leather interior.  This rack came from a blue 34 LaS, and although this rack was once "in" the first huge private collection from decades ago, the rack was LIKELY first bought by that first collector at Hershey!! or perhaps the very early years of Ebay.

This car definitely had "a" rack when new, but not this one shown. My yellow conv never had a rack. I have no clues to the interior color my conv had.

What are the plans for this poor unfortunate skin?  I don't know as it is "hidden in the future", but as the original dedicated savior of prewar parts/cars,...  the fellow who assembled this entire mess of 2 conv shells and tons of sketchy parts did, I will NOT send it to scrap, nor give to a rodder...ever!.  I will "try" by this weekend, to use my pickup now in the top barn, to make a heaping load of ALL tin parts left outside now, into at least that truck bay for now, and then "someday" clear a nice unused spot (that has random crap there now), and neatly store all the remains of every loose body parts shown here and a few on the side you cannot see.  All of it needs to be under cover, no matter if it looks worthless... I DO have the FREE space, so it will get done.

.  BYE!  :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GARY F said:

i enjoy following all your post. and the metal detecting. I also look on the TREASURENET  website to see all the finds.

Hi Gary, I am signed up as CTwoods on T-net, but have not been visiting during off season as it simply takes too much time to visit more that one site...That is why I am now not on Hamb at all, despite once being there 10years as a tech and build thread guy as well as trying to help out.  I just have no concentration if I do two sites at once.

Ok those 5 finds,,,since you like MD:

The copper disc with cut fan-like edges is one "forever favorite" as well as the silver heart:

The copper thing is called a whizzer, you thread a string though the holes in one long doubled strand, and if you get coordination with string ends on one finger each hand, pulling, relaxing it will make whizzing noise.  I have found simple whizzers made from colonial flat buttons used on your Cloak...a lost term for long coat.  When I was in grade school 55ish yrs ago, we were told to hang our coat in the "cloak room"  SEE? history, and where terms came from.  That whizzer is the only one I ever heard of with blades that make is sound so load.  My feeling it was made by a Dad or Grandad as the childs ONLY Christmas toy,  They had so little else to give...

The heart is called a Witches heart, the earliest "non-altered descriptive" use was for just ONE thing.  The childhood mortality rate was so large that parents had a dozen children to stack the odds. The heart was pinned on a infants Swaddling Clothes which is sort of a bed sheet/blanket as there were no infant clothes.  The heart was a thing that warded off harm of the baby or to help it survive... The heart was found by me less than 1 mile from Friend Joes home...40 feet in the woods next to the old Connecticut Path!.  It was ID'd by a guy named Salem Scott, from Salem Mass....as the exact hand made decorations as from a noted early silversmith from Boston area, in 1700s.  Silver was beyond the reach of most, but scraped together to save your child.  That means It "might", have been lost as the travelling mom with newborn, left the path to clean, or nurse the child?/  I LIVE for children's relics , they are so uncommon, as well as few had toys etc.,.... and I think of these children and families when I read old abandoned grave stones in the forests. ...the ages of life listed in just months, less that 1 year in some cases. They all had such a hard life...yet we complain that our car has a failed heated seat.  They endured, made America to eventually happen, yet I am disgusted with Todays very poor attitudes and all of it's " walking Dead" people..  That is why I take time to think of all our so distant countrymen and women...and children.  > I think.<.   Most don't....or perhaps cannot find their quiet place inside to get back to the path that was always intended for each one of us. I am there now, it only took 6 months to the day I vowed I would find the last chapter.   I have lost (temporarily ?)one friend that I believe is jealous of my massive change.  I cannot go back to reverse that.

I do know? how the seller of my Trunk Rack was at "my" estate place, loading his trailer,  before the guy passed-away, , and It led to knowing how "my" estate guy ended up with most of the LaS stuff, and I have a simple explanation of why my guy did not end up with the rack and other parts that were later/still sold on ebay... I will just wait for conformation at some point... I hope. For history sake, that's all.

I will likely post a few pics very soon of some LaS things I did or saw? ...I just need to wait? to know when, and that not-knowing when, concerns me not.  he,he.. that >When .. "IS" hidden in the future, right?  Bye!

• Like 1

hi... I NEED some help here, and am totally serious.  It might be fun to try to help, for you all?

"

If your recall older pics, the yellow sedan had hand painted red color wording:  "1934 LaSalle" on it's trunk lid

ok, yesterday when I put the scrap body together to study it, find out colors etc.... I realized that the original windshield posts on my good conv, came from this tan car.  Ok, so Then I see that the lower trunk lid that already has that new wood installed in it, is from a different car, either this tan car or a different coupe or conv..

Look at the 3 pics below, I found out that day, that the original factory installed rear trunk lid is THIS one on the tan car.  I have a clue as to why it was not the one to get the new wood...it has some rot at the wood nailing flanges you cannot see here.

So, I want to know if you all can tell me what these red hand painted words are?  Why? I just want to know more about the yellow convertible, and this lid shows HOW bad my conv really was WHEN FOUND or rescued.  What it says may help know more?

100_0101.thumb.JPG.487df80395e0e5c715b08dcbf2e6363b.JPG100_0102.thumb.JPG.a6ffd64c4f371534a81cf2c9b3530ac1.JPG100_0103.thumb.JPG.a2d64c42124d621c2fcfd99165dd04c5.JPG

Thanks,  I will be looking here when I get time...Bye

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GARY F said:

bottom word looks like ( rest )  and I do remember  cloak room.

Hi Gary... thanks.  3 people including  myself have tried every trick to clear it up.  I have a gallon of soapy water from a project, just sitting there in case anybody else shows up. It shows best with a splash of that.

Why is this so important?  Because this is the lid from my car.  And later today I did use wet sandpaper to see the different colors my car once was:  Yellow when new, then pretty Navy blue, and last was battleship gray.   Ok, the Yellow sedan body's simple words with what might be the same red paint, seems like a "junkyard ID" like I saw in the old days at old yards...so customers could ID the car as a potential correct parts source for whatever part they needed that day.

So, I was just looking to see if it was the same red paint, does it say something that might tell where?  IDK.  My son says the right side words that are stacked, "is the same name of a person, and a mistake at the top one?

I hope to hear back from the person I know was at least a broker for this entire collection...and if lucky, may find out where each car came from in what State?

1 hour ago, GARY F said:

bottom word looks like ( rest )

Now, hold on, I just looked at my pics...the tail end of the passenger side originally continued onto "my" cars quarter panel..but my shell has been blasted/primed.  Gary...Could it have said: Restore?

• Like 1

I've been back on Tims 34 Ford 1.5t.  It just "needs" to go back to him by this weekends..end,,, to maske room for the last semi late model I hope I ever get in from a customer.  I simply cannot do everything anymore, so my shop is now permanently closed to perhaps pre-60?, or I'd prefer only prewars.  I relly look forward to seeing Mercer09's 37 Cord..." Ron don't say much"  lol.  He never uses a phone, which "me likey"  he, he.  but he SHOULD have said his car is somehow been converted way way back to column conventional shiter, instead of the solenoid type of the Cords.  Leno did a good drive report on YouTube and warned of storing a Cord without setting it in neutral....so as I know the 37 must be dormany=t, now, this year...for 15 years total, going from 5 year old talk with Ron.  So, that is a load off my plate when I tackle the engine work.

Ok, I thionk I said that I jump to small projcts when I need a brain recharge with a customer car once a day or so.  Just a few minutes sometimes, solves a roadblock on the other one.

I have been trying to free-up the two luggage rack things, but from the first time I ckecked the assembly pattern/type, it looked tough.  I always on each step I tried ...that little wisper..."please stop it, you're hurting me".  No joke, I would be destroyed f I broke a casting!

Heated after first soaking with ATF/Lacquer thinner mix:

Just stick it on the motor "stand" of the original matching number stuck motor I set by the shop.  It fits where the torch can be left alone.

100_0086.thumb.JPG.e35c65bbb96a83338d9ce033a797f826.JPG

^^^lol, the ground is so soft from WET spring, the motor settled to tilt badly, so I tied it to the dozer, as I have a full plsate.  That motor hd 1 gallon of clear water in pan,followed by 2 quarts of clean oil floating above the water. I need to strip this one down like the last..to see what I have.

the other motor I took apart 100% is now all indoors stored neatly.

The other "good motor" still where I washed it and set on a cart I made decades ago.. a long one at that, which fits nice

100_0099.thumb.JPG.32bb163f399e60ce790dae3c03e5ab1f.JPG^^^ I ran out of 4.5 cut-off wheels for the angle grinder,. I need more to slice the tops off of any head "bolts" so they can't break like the seller did when trying to bolt a lift chain to this engine. (These free yellow straps are so slick!)   Like said a week ago most head fasteners are NUTS which is excellent design to remove the head...on a motor that is SO old, not new

100_0105.JPG.be865fce978af0ebc11805e971e984dc.JPG

^^^ why yes, that IS lush pink carpting...do you expect less of my tastes for my "Auto-Empire" ? lol.  Nice for winter standing on...cold feet.  I started with trying to remove the only brace rod remaing.  It looked sketchy, steel sitting in aluminum this long..  I just whack stuff while using that ATF mix, then a wrench, then whack each way with hammer, hoping to feel a tiny twitch.  It did, so now you MUST not gall a tread, if you do, you will never undo that gall, and it will mow the treads down when you finally just have to force it out

100_0107.JPG.1039ecd17359e530b5da87d4cf7791a7.JPG

^^ went very slow, back/forth forever, and I got it.  This is too pitted for chrome, so I will make/tread two opposites on the lathe later, as well as those shouldered nuts

100_0104.thumb.JPG.603ae3b551d4a42a193d6da6b155a181.JPG

^^^^,, Shush...I hear that voice again... this was scary to me, Shape of that C fork had to fit up inside the press's cross beam, then keep shimming the lower to get a straight like push.  Even if I did get a good setup...man...go buy insurance for that poor casting,..no joke!  I did get a dang good force holding, so I set the free standing torch on the big "center part" of the hinge body.  That is where it MUST be stuck in theory.  I went to get something and...loud CRACK...I knew it was not a bad noise from past press work.  But the bolt never ever tried to move again.. reheating and repressing???

So, that voice again...I took it out, sat on the carpet to hold this odd shaped ungainly part with my knees, to belt the THREADED with Dads old big copper hammer, I knew it likely will mushroom a thread or two, but no other options came to me as I am pretty tired...3.5 day heat wave.

100_0108.thumb.JPG.287ed6b7e745f6573556731bc487d326.JPG

^^^ I did get it out, but more mushrooming that I though possible.  But I have thread cutting lathe to quick fix as new, as you cannot use a die on a smashed end!  But I will wait for a rested me, before that task.

100_0109.JPG.339edf38602698852c9c4664dac63511.JPG

^^^ then the smaller yet still "voices" issues. Both have the same fastener setup. The two closest to the hinge, are east=y and same,  Then look to the left of the 2nd one.  I think it must just be dowel, not a snapped bolt, both arms are the same.  But the one at the to]ips are going to be tough,  There is a bored hole but not big enough for a thin wall socket...just a screwdriver slot!  I tried a bit, with the arm in the vice wrapped with leasther welding glove to protect. I did the vise, sio I could use max downforce on a 3/8 drive screwdriver bit and mini breaker bar.  I just needed to stop, I had ZERO good feels, so I cannot mess the slot up so late in a tiring day

Ok, I said no more modern BIG jobs...guess again,... last night as expected as SOME point...I now am the guy who will do a full cosmetic resto on my Sons Silverado 4x4..he does NOT pay attention!! I TOLD him I will never ever do customer work by the clock! It makes me rush yto keep their bill down.  I refuse to be rushed now!  He said he's buried in mandatory OT, and wants to do his hobby;;;;;;  What hobby is more fun?? that laying under a truck???

FB_IMG_1468097307028.thumb.jpg.50a2a2d68e0397d1791754df554bea2a.jpg

^^^ the fellow on left owns some kind of electronic business, I think they met online ...or Florida Keys I believe, now that I recall. No idea where this was...Fla, the Vinyard, off Montauk or the "Block" (Island).

5941e72ca79c4_Stripperssss(1).thumb.jpg.b2274bb3378de5c6c3e05e47ab4b5f86.jpg

Nighttime... no idea but I will bet off Napatree point in SW RI, near Watch Hill.  Chasing the ...so far...elusive 50 pound personal record.  He did get one, but fishermen have a code of ethics, weight at the dock on real accurate scales set up for this .  The fish lose weight by evaporation by the time you get there, even quick trips.  His best ever was one ounce less than 50.,not that one in pic. EDIT>>>check out the faint glow of sunset and moon, washed a bit due to camera.  I'd bet the real view was something else....I soent so many nights at the ocean from childhood through my sons early tyears...man, do ut someday!!! Sleeping somewhere like the 4x4 camper, gentle soft cooling breeze, the surfs steadt crashings or a storms coming...pounding.. It truly blows me away each time.  I need to get back there someday.  Skip CT...go off RI, especially standing at Beavertail light near Jamestown RI...that place is so rough due to mixing currents , you will know the feeling of the Mighty North Atlantic....  rock on!!!

Striiiipah.thumb.jpg.44cde662f9e6add4d6e670e8d4cd45a1.jpg

^^^ Ok, get bored on surface?? sun too hot??get wetsuit on, and speargun.... jump right in, no fear of local shark "COMMOM" types but MUST be aware of radio warnings of  sightings of Great Whites spotted by the bigger "party boats" that take dozens of line guys out.

So who is the dummy here? LOL  Well,,,,see you soon, ...under a truck....coming soon...just kidding

Hope you like these cool pics of life as it should be!!!

• Like 2

well, this is off topic, but mid aftyernoon, I had to sit down in a chair in my shop and my feet seemed too big for my work shoes,  This is not too common, but aftetr 3 days of mid ninetys and me on my feeyt all day.. I missed the obvious... I just went to shower and then bed, and see that my left lower leg and ankle is swollen up more than a lot... I did get Lyme from that bite 2-3 weeks ago.  I am quite low right now.  I must find a away to get meds without that 10 day wait of testing...  :(