1963 Glass optikleen bottle placement

offdensen

I haven't seen many Rivieras in my area but when I have they all have the glass optikleen bottle installed below the two horns to the left of the radiator, as does mine. I never really gave any thought to where it should go as this seemed right, but I was flipping through the 1963 chassis service manual and I found a picture that made me think of the placement. I searched a few times on here already to see if this was asked

and couldn't find anything besides questions asked about the correct decal for the bottle, so apologies if this has been asked before. 

WP_20170305_13_35_11_Pro.thumb.jpg.09e4b09b6df92068cebb9fea544ca85d.jpg

At the bottom of this picture you can see where it says Riviera. In this picture it places the glass bottle in the 3 prong metal holder that I've seen in all other Rivs and puts it on another bracket that elevates it above the battery.

Is this another bottle that came in conjunction with the bottle placed under the horns or is this a possible other placement for the bottle? Has anyone seen this before? Is this actually for the Riv? I have yet to see it in this place and am curious if anyone has seen this placement before?  

Edited by offdensen (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I believe most dealer techs put them where they wanted.

I'm no expert, but most 1st gens I've seen were on the passenger sides, which IMO is better.

I'll bet that extra support bracket was an expense no one wanted to pay for. Do you have one?

Great question, however. ;)

BOXA30(60).jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

To answer, no I don't have the support bracket in the picture (wish I did). Also for you first Gen riv owners if you go to look where this goes in front of the battery on your car you can see two small indents where I believe were spots for where the screws would go for the support. At least I have them on my 63 anyways. I don't know for certain what those spots are for but it makes sense for them to have had a purpose.

will take a picture when I get home tonight.

Edited by offdensen (see edit history)

Of all of the 1st generation Rivieras that I've owned, not one has had the bottle bracket anywhere but on the passenger's side inner fender "under the horns." I've never seen one near the battery other than the illustration that was just posted.

Ed

PS -That would also have to include all of the first generation Rivieras that I've looked over at the annual ROA events I've attended. Just have never seen a bottle anywhere else.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

anyone have a 64 or 65 chassis manual they could look in around the same area as this one? I am quite curious if it is the same in those books as well. If not then this may have been something that was changed at the last second for the 1st Gen and they hadn't corrected it in the book.

Right above the battery and in between the steering pump and the Positive wire are two circular indents, very small. Seems like they line up to where the support bracket is in the book for the first picture I showed and these may have been placed to show where to drill, though they seem spaced narrowly. Anyone know if there is another reason for these? Maybe just a result of manufacturing? These very minor details interest me very much. 

Also my Shop book is circa 1962. So it was very early and its possible it was printed too early for them to correct the mistake and change the picture in the book to the one that bodayguy posted, if his is newer than mine. 

WP_20170306_17_27_47_Pro.thumb.jpg.f1bd4873b6a0c41f1cb0c19f4d45d60f.jpg

1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

Pretty sure there is a `63 service bulletin which addresses the relocation of the washer fluid bottle from its original location to the passenger side.

Tom Mooney

Thanks for the tip, I found a topic made by Jim Cannon and followed a link to the subject

Looking at the pdf it says that it is for 1963 for 4400, 4600, and 4800 series. Isn't the riv a 4700? Perhaps there is another bulletin out there as well to correct it for the other models. 

Again, starting to think that my shop book was just printed way too early on, but interesting nonetheless. 

On 3/6/2017 at 10:01 AM, offdensen said:

To answer, no I don't have the support bracket in the picture (wish I did). Also for you first Gen riv owners if you go to look where this goes in front of the battery on your car you can see two small indents where I believe were spots for where the screws would go for the support. At least I have them on my 63 anyways. I don't know for certain what those spots are for but it makes sense for them to have had a purpose.

will take a picture when I get home tonight.

This mystery bracket should be a museum piece. I'm sure there's one somewhere?

I'll bet GM learned fast a glass bottle was no place next to big heavy battery "traffic".

Like a champagne bottle boat launch. :o

The 1963 parts book on page 128-A1 also shows in mounting alongside the battery for model 4747, so it must be right! And same position for the other senior series too!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg