1000 ci Speedster Build

Chase392

Hello,  The Vesta lights are surely off an early firetruck.  Probably in the teens to early 20's.  At that time, Vesta switched from rounded lights, like your lights, to a conventional drum headlight.  My  American-LaFrance speedster project will use 12" Gray and Davis dish type headlamps, (from the early teens).  The Gray and Davis lights use a clear glass convex lens, which are very hard to source.  I have watched for years with absolutely none found.  It is my intention to simply use a good grade flat glass to have cut for new lenses.  I will post a couple of pictures for you to see of the lights I will be using.  To me, larger lamps look way better than smaller lamps.

Regards,

Alan

For the convex glass lenses for G&D lights... I found a website that sells clear, round glass convex lenses intended for clock faces. I have it bookmarked at home but I'm out of the country so I'm unable to add it here. I did find it by googling "convex galss."

jp

found it...

http://www.ronellclock.com/Convex-Glass_c62.htm

Edited by JV Puleo
added information (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello JP,

Thanks for posting the clock source for convex lenses.  They are probably a thinner cross section than headlamp lenses but a convex lens is way better than no lens.  Secondly, at $12. per lens, one could afford to buy several extras just in case one gets broken while driving the speedster down the road.  I just had a thought, I wonder if it would be possible to use a clear silicone sealant and laminate two of these lenses together to double up on the strength and make the lens more the thickness of the original lens?  What do you think?

Al

PS:  What is up with your Mitchell?

I have no idea... I only just discovered that source and intended to order a set for my side lights. But, I'm in the UK at the moment and left the dimensions on a slip of paper in my shop so it will have to wait until I get home.

I also thought they might be thinner but the convex, clear Gray & Davis lenses aren't very thick to begin with – nothing like the later, flat lenses we see on drum headlights. In any case, I doubt thickness will matter much if one catches a flying rock.

Progress on the Mitchell is slow... but it's always been slow. My goal is regular progress more than speed. When I get home I've several more engine parts to make.... timing gears, exhaust and intake manifolds etc as well as the pistons and rods to finish but when that is done I may be close to reassembling the engine.

jp

Not much new to report on the Speedster.

I've been out of town, and now that I have returned I'm a bit under the weather... but I did pick up two more parts for the car. I snagged a temp gauge with a black face to match my other gauges, and a cut-out pedal should I decide to run exhaust.

The patent date on the gauge is 3/20/1917, 3/20 happens to be my wife and I's anniversary. I told her it would be my good luck charm when I'm driving the "Death Trap" :)

001.JPG

I am looking since arround 4 years to get the components ready to build the speedster and have some pics of American Lafrance drivetrains and other museum models with chain drive that could interest you. I got a 1929 running Seagrave with the F6 engine. 18 spark plugs. Beautiful and thirsty. Arround 80 Hp at 1500 rpm. Seeking soon to build a 1919 speedster with a chaindrive drivetrain and finish it for the 100 aniversary...Just send me a message if you are interested sharing knowledge.

https://www.facebook.com/Seagrave-1929-1454125271551417/?ref=settings

IMG_0066.JPG

Edited by Karsten - Seagrave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not much new on Speedster,

Haven't had much free time in the last month to work out in the garage. One afternoon while mixing up some ATF and acetone to soak my valves and pistons and decided to take a peek inside my transaxle. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the gears under the goo... I don't see any damage to the gears from grinding into gear. Hate to think that I may have to learn to drive a non-synchro on a gearbox so nice....

I also picked up a couple more gauges... a pressure gauge and fuel gauge. The fuel gauge is from the late 20's I believe but I plan to build a more period correct face for it (and it was very inexpensive). 

005.JPG

006.JPG

001.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Huge breakthrough today... I have wheels! B)

After mulling over what kind of wheels to run I decided to go with #6 Buffalo hubs and centers, the rims are 27" Goodyear Quick detach which I'll have drilled, dimpled and laced. I feel I got the parts for a very fair price, I think I could possibly have all 4 wheels done with tires for the price I was told to expect for 1 Rudge-Whitworth hub and wheel.

I was worried 27" wheels would be too large but I think they balance nicely with the size of the engine without getting that "monster truck tire" look you sometimes see with the firetruck speedsters. Even with the 27" wheels I will likely have less than a foot of ground clearance below the engine and belly pans.

The engine right now is at about the height I expect it to be in the car... the hood and cowl are going to be Beast of Turin tall....

003.JPG

007.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been able to do much in the garage in the last couple of weeks... but I snagged another important part... a correct mag switch for dual ignition. The price on this one hurt a bit but it looks to be in good shape. If I gather up a few more parts... I'll have to stop talking and start building :D

001.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2017 at 11:02 PM, Karsten - Seagrave said:

I am looking since arround 4 years to get the components ready to build the speedster and have some pics of American Lafrance drivetrains and other museum models with chain drive that could interest you. I got a 1929 running Seagrave with the F6 engine. 18 spark plugs. Beautiful and thirsty. Arround 80 Hp at 1500 rpm. Seeking soon to build a 1919 speedster with a chaindrive drivetrain and finish it for the 100 aniversary...Just send me a message if you are interested sharing knowledge.

https://www.facebook.com/Seagrave-1929-1454125271551417/?ref=settings

This is incredible!

Please post more photos!!!

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, alsfarms said:

What is the latest progress report on the speedster project?  Is the pan repaired in a satisfactory means?  Any other engineering been completed on frame?

Alan

Hi Alan,

Not much new to report unfortunately.... I've been spending the summer working on getting my garage cleaned out so I can get the inside finished (its bare studs right now). Working in 100 degree heat has slowed things to a crawl. I'm excitedly counting down the days that I can move the chassis components to my father's new shop and the end of next month.

Things should pick up again when I can do that.

• 1 month later...

Haven't updated things in a while,

Probably won't be much exciting stuff going on with my speedster the next month or so. As you guys can see from my location, our area just got devastated by Hurricane Harvey. We got 52" of rain in 3 days, almost half of it was 1 night in a 4 hour period. My house... and my Speedster project and Challenger.... were spared by inches. Many people were not so lucky.

Hello Chase,  I have been concerned for your well being, especially considering where you live and the aftermath of the hurricane.  If you feel it would not invade your privacy, please share a few pictures of your surrounding area.  Glad to know that you are OK, with no real bad damage!  How did your Father fair?

Alan

On 9/2/2017 at 9:50 AM, alsfarms said:

Hello Chase,  I have been concerned for your well being, especially considering where you live and the aftermath of the hurricane.  If you feel it would not invade your privacy, please share a few pictures of your surrounding area.  Glad to know that you are OK, with no real bad damage!  How did your Father fair?

Alan

Fortunately parents new home and my Father's shop were spared as well... but they were worried sick as they were unable to check on it for 3-4 days due to high water, cell phone service became very spotty and they finally got in contact with their new neighbors who were also high and dry. In preparation for their move they rented a storage building that did get about 8" of flood water in it. They lost a few pieces of furniture, some books (including their high school year books), computers, my Father's brand new Mig Welder, etc. but we were able to salvage most of the contents. We spent a couple of days pulling parts for his 1970 Challenger out of boxes so they could dry.

I don't have any good pics of our neighborhood as the flood water came up in the middle of the night and receded quickly the next morning. Our house sits in between two "lakes" (a fancy Texas name for retention ponds) that saved our neighborhood and scared us all beyond belief. I've attached some photos, both of these lakes completely filled and spilled into the street... in the space of about 6 hours. The shadow in the front yard is about how close the water got to the house. I was down the street at a friend's house watching the boxing match when the storm hit. By the time we all realized how fast the water was rising I had to walk through almost knee deep water to my truck (which is fortunately tall) to drive home. I'd guess the water is at least 15 feet below the tops of the lakes, by the time it stopped raining on the first night each house was surrounded by a small island with about 6 vertical inches before water came in the house. At that time every street in every direction for at least 4-5 blocks was underwater. The water in our neighborhood drained quickly but the surrounding streets did not, and with the ground saturated every time it rained hard for the next 4 days the lakes rose rapidly but never overflowed again.... but it was 4 long days and sleepless nights.

The only water we got in our house was torrential rain through our fireplace flue.... which got a little bit of the carpet wet and ruined the MDF behind the wood paneling on our fireplace. I pulled off the paneling and pulled up the carpet to help dry it while I wait for the stampedes to slow down at the building supply stores. I'll fix this myself vs. filing a claim on my insurance. 

001.JPG

002.JPG

005.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey guys,

I guess it is long since time to give an update on my progress. I wish I could post pics of the engine setting in a totally re-vamped frame but sadly that is not the case. Last year I was laid off from my mediocre job after losing my excellent job two years before that in a corporate buy-out. Finding decent work in my profession has been near impossible and its looking like I'm going to have to change careers entirely.

To add even more fun to the mix, my significant other has served me with papers that among other things... states she no longer wants to be my "riding mechanic".

Sadly the Speedster has to go on the back burner for a while.... but I'm determined to hang on to my project and see it through to the end.

I"ll still be lurking on here, trying to gather parts when the funds allow and brainstorming ideas for the future build. 

Edited by Chase392 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 3/13/2017 at 7:29 PM, Chase392 said:

PM sent :D 

Hello Chase!  I am sorry to hear about your delay having your project done.This kind of things happen once a while so you should not loose hope.. But,  If you  intend to sell parts of the seagrave engine, I would be proud to integrate them into my project.

On 3/13/2017 at 7:29 PM, Chase392 said:

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There is hope, at least I am saying that.  After you got hit with Hurricane Harvey, (I have a friend in Houston) We got hit with Hurricane Irma.  I took a couple feet of salt water flooding inside and am still finding bits from time to time that we missed on cleanup.  As I worked to rebuild the downstairs apartment we lived in and upon nearing completion I was informed it would be best if we lived separate lives.  Long story short I have been divorced over a year and have full custody of our 4 year old son whom she sees on average 6-8 hours a week.  Things are starting to get back in order finally as I get ready for the move next year to TN.  I've currently got most everything I need for my T speedster (1927) and custom T tourabout (1912) which has taken a long time to source parts.  Im starting to think/plan on the next speedster and sourcing the parts for it.  I'm thinking in about a a decade I will have enough to start, about the same time my Son will be starting his build if he wants to (he got a few parts from my Grandfathers estate).  I am going to be sourcing parts for something on the larger size and intend to do a brass era chain drive underslung.  Imangine something like this with fenders and a "mercer" style body or lack there of.

23794905_1920404521332830_4085594573519807771_n.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you for sharing your story. Stay on, time is not relevant but health and life is. Love to hear about your project, as mine is getting ito a decisive stage. There is still some work to do on the body design like moving the radiator back over the front axle.... but the project is so much fun and pleasure, so I enjoy and let it be a neverending story. 

untitled.189.JPG

untitled.193.JPG

untitled.190.JPG

untitled.188.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...