58 Caballero Sold on Ebay

JZRIV

Anyone see this? Don't know much about these and they aren't seen much. I'm surprised the listing didn't show any pics of the seats and upholstery. To those familiar with this model I'm curious; since it was restored does it look like its still pretty authentic? Car has tons of curb appeal that's for sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Caball...3D222276139340

s-l1600.jpg

I don't think the wire wheels are "as factory."

I really hate auctions that tell you all about how rare and collectable a car is, and tells you nothing about the actual car's condition or history.  Yes, thank you, it has the "option package that includes 364/300 V8 engine," because all '58 Centuries had the 364 cu in, 300 hp engine. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, if I was looking to spend $65k on a car, I'd probably be willing to spend a few hundred bucks on airfare to go see the car first...

I like the look of the '57 Cab better, but I'd drive it.  I did always wonder how much cursing there was in the chrome shop over that grille, though.

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Yes, I know and saw the car. It was in a locale auction and I went with the idea of buying it. I was able to carefully inspected the car and found it to be a good solid car. It is NOT a restored car. A dealer was selling the car and I have found 3 if 4 dealers will lie and overstate the car. Most noticed when they say the car is full of options that the car came with for that model.

I was able to crawl under the car, inspect the interior and pick it apart.  This was a very nice 60 year old car that received a cosmetic exterior restoration ( and color change) several years ago that was showing wear on the edges. Underside was not restored , nor was the interior. Car looked good from 10 feet, then you could see many small flaws when close.

I was thinking the car would sell for 30-35k as was not correct and not restored. I was so surprised it sold this high. Mind you it is/was a solid car, but not the car as described.

Steve

Thanks - I just kinda had a feeling it may have been the typical lipstick on a pig. No, not in the sense it was a bad car, just the bloated representation.

Another case of buyer beware. This is testament to what high curb appeal (and intentional or unintentional lack of detail in listing) can do for the internet sale price of a car.

Thanks

Edited by JZRIV
added some words (see edit history)

8 hours ago, FireballV8 said:

Hi Lamar

what is the story here? Also did those four cars fit in that container? If so how?

wow those are big cars.

thx

steve

Ive already gone off subject more than I should so will keep it brief, we had 3 containers and 9 cars, BIG CARS. Maybe I'll start a thread about it, pretty interesting.

7 hours ago, Thriller said:

That looks very much like the wagon that used to be up here. 

Good eye D, it is. 

55 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Ive already gone off subject more than I should so will keep it brief, we had 3 containers and 9 cars, BIG CARS. Maybe I'll start a thread about it, pretty interesting.

Good eye D, it is. 

Only in Georgia can one stack a truck on a truck, then tow that on a flatbed tow truck!  In NC i'd have been in jail

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:03 PM, superbuick said:

.....I was able to crawl under the car, inspect the interior and pick it apart.  This was a very nice 60 year old car.....I was thinking the car would sell for 30-35k as was not correct and not restored. I was so surprised it sold this high. Mind you it is/was a solid car.....Steve

I am a firm believer that if a car is not ridden with rusted out areas in rocker panels, trunk floors, spare tire wells, floor boards, and around window moldings, that paying the price (what everybody else considers overpriced), is well worth it in the long run if you can drive it home. Have you lately priced out what it would take to find a reputable body shop that would take on a rusted-out project, and do you have any clue on what they would charge for quality work (no hackers or bubble-gum welders) plus giving it a paint job similar to the subject Estate Wagon? What's the down time worth and how much of the interior do you need to disassemble before you can start the work? At least it doesn't have the wide and shiny rocker panel trim that can hide a lot of sins and would give the new owner a bigger surprise when he removed the rocker panel trim moldings.

Bottom line: I would seriously start out with the more solid car rather than buying a rusted project for cheap and giving the body shop all the money that you 'saved' going that route. Besides, nightmares of driving a once-ridden rust bucket will remain with you until you find a buyer for it.  Just my 2¢ worth and worth serious consideration.  :rolleyes:

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

• Like 2