1972 Flame Orange Centurion Convertible

Guest my3buicks

Guest my3buicks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171802830292?forcerRptr=true&item=171802830292&viewitem=

My former Flame Orange Centurion has been on ebay recently - I want all to be warned that 3 of the pictures on the listing were taken by me prior to the fire that ruined the car.  There is no mention of the car having been in a fire. I note that the tires that were in the fire are still on the car even.    I find the listing to be close to fraud. 

post-76001-0-33664000-1432606234_thumb.j

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I asked if this was the Buick that had been burned, he replied that the car had not burned, it had some slight cosmetic damage and all had been replaced. Hmmmmm

As it is, the car is well enough known, that there is no reason to lie or try and cover this up. Tell the information about the car and any damage related to it as it should be,  and he may be able to someday sell it.

Guest my3buicks

I would be the first to say the car was not destroyed in the fire, and that I drove it after the fire and he drove it back to the Carolina's - and that with a good restoration it would be as good as it was prior if not better (if done properly).  I personally would not be afraid to own the car again (if done correctly) but I would want to be made aware of it's known history.

here's the thread of  my correspondence with the seller

Dear lincoln537william,

Thank you for that information.

- bhambulldogjames

To: bhambulldogjames
Subject: Re: Other: bhambulldogjames sent a message about Buick : Other 455 Centurian #171802830292
Sent Date: May-26-15 05:09:46 PDT

Dear bhambulldogjames,

Thank you -this is not a damaged or flood car it was singed --paint in a light garage fire but no real damage that was not restored 

- lincoln537william

To: lincoln537william
Subject: Other: bhambulldogjames sent a message about Buick : Other 455 Centurian #171802830292
Sent Date: May-25-15 19:33:12 PDT

Dear lincoln537william,

Has this vehicle been wrecked or in flood or otherwise damaged?

- bhambulldogjames

$25,000 starting bid and a reserve, what's the issue? The seller has no feedback as a seller, left none as a buyer, and has been buying pet supplies.

Imagine if the guy said the car came from Mars!

Bernie

I wrote to the Ebay seller too.  He should know that

he must be honest, that he can't evade the facts,

and that people are aware:

"Is this the Buick that was burned in a fire?

Especially because of its unusual color, this car
is well known among Buick enthusiasts. If it is that
car, you should let people know in your listing!
If properly presented--and you describe all the 
work that was done to fix it afterward--such honesty
will not hurt you."

We'll see if he replies.  That will be an indicator of his

integrity.  And if he truly is honest, he would edit his

Ebay listing to describe the car's history to a potential buyer.

Guest my3buicks

The proper color name is appropriate as well Flame orange. What's sad is he has the original window sticker and build sheets with the proper color listed and he still can't get it right

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171802830292?forcerRptr=true&item=171802830292&viewitem=

My former Flame Orange Centurion has been on ebay recently - I want all to be warned that 3 of the pictures on the listing were taken by me prior to the fire that ruined the car.  There is no mention of the car having been in a fire. I note that the tires that were in the fire are still on the car even.    I find the listing to be close to fraud. 

A week has gone by since my probing question

to the seller (see Posting #12), and I've received

no response.

I wonder what he's thinking now.

If he has a conscience, he's not using it!

The buying public has not given him a bid which clearly shows him that they know better.

Why didn't anyone report the listing to ebay warning them it was fraudulent as there is evidence this car is being misrepresented and the seller is avoiding questions.

This post is a loud and clear message to all that you can never be too cautious when buying on the internet/ebay. This just happens to be one example where we know the cars history and its black and white for us. Just think how many other cars there are on ebay that are the same and worse. A few years ago I ran into a similar situation when my old 71 Riv GS showed up on ebay with many false statements, some intentional and some unintentional. Its a real eye opener.

I think most who frequent this board have been well educated at the importance of doing homework and vetting a potential car buy but be sure to caution others you may know of this example that's probably more common than we think. I have seen countless situations over the years both personal experience and from others where a seller was politely informed of listing errors and they could care less. These characters are often easy to spot for some but for the more trusting and less informed they can get sucked in.

• Like 1