1934 2 dr sedan- pulled from 10 year storage-prepping it for sale

Thanks for posting Dave, very nice car. A lot of people didn't believe I had an All Steel a Body but I have one of those little badges the have that written on it. Now I can see where it goes on the car as my painter painted over the holes and I forgot to tell him to leave them open. Certainly a big front window. I'd like to have a crack at this one when I'm finished but I don't think I'd live long enough !

Ian

Thanks for posting Dave, very nice car. A lot of people didn't believe I had an All Steel a Body but I have one of those little badges the have that written on it. Now I can see where it goes on the car as my painter painted over the holes and I forgot to tell him to leave them open. Certainly a big front window. I'd like to have a crack at this one when I'm finished but I don't think I'd live long enough !

Ian

I'll get a better picture if needed. This car has not been tampered with to much. Great car to take the grandkids out for rides.

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

We all want to know the number.

Like I said in the heading Jack, (prepping for sale) I know nothing about the car except it was a Al Smith car that was running when parked,brakes,running,body cond, etc as you know that has a factor in pricing. As of now if somebody wanted it as is ,around 25.000.

Running when parked - my favorite description! :)  Nice car, but it needs a lot of work, running or not, and I think you might be a bit optimistic on your pricing.  Best of luck on the sale.

Running when parked - my favorite description! :)  Nice car, but it needs a lot of work, running or not, and I think you might be a bit optimistic on your pricing.  Best of luck on the sale.

I guess that I miss quoted, know nothing about this car.

If you new Al Smith, anybody can tell you that he drove his cars :P  . This was one of his many 34 Dodge's that he had owed. I picked this car up with my 10 car hauler in the early 2000 and delivered it to the present owner. Christiane (owner of Dodge City) was driving this car daily up till about 2006. Then it was started regularly when they parked their cars in the new 24 car garage. When Mike passed, I never bothered with the cars in the garage until recently when we sold the 34 Dodge Hearse. 25.000 is a starting point, We have sold about a dozen old Mopars and I believe it's in the ballpark. If not, Parting it out would also bring a good price in parts. This I do not want to happen. All cars need work. Even with the $100.000+ rebuild that you are doing (fabulous work by the way) if someone besides you were doing the resto work, the car would need work. You are always working on these old cars no matter how nice. One thing about the car that I'm working on, Redue the interior, it's ready to ride and drive without too many worries. It will be a crowd attention getter at shows and anywhere you go. You don't have to worry about parking it because it doesn't have that $20.000 paint job. ETC!!

Last note

I have never criticized price on anybody's ad on a public forum. I think that is disrespectful and tacky. A lot of kids do that on other forums and especially on FaceBook. Just my opinion.

I certainly wasn't trying to be disrespectful, just stating my opinion, as were you. I hope you get in the neighborhood of what you're asking, but based on the recent sales of similar offerings on EBay, I don't think so. Then again, I'm very often wrong. Oh, and the day I have $100,000 plus in my restoration is the day my loving wife suffocates me in my sleep. :)

I certainly wasn't trying to be disrespectful, just stating my opinion, as were you. I hope you get in the neighborhood of what you're asking, but based on the recent sales of similar offerings on EBay, I don't think so. Then again, I'm very often wrong. Oh, and the day I have $100,000 plus in my restoration is the day my loving wife suffocates me in my sleep. :)

I quoted if you had the work done by somebody else. The quality of work that you are doing, It would be 150.000 when done. Take it as a compliment. I would have you or Greenlaw restore my car anytime. Go figure the hours you have in your car and Greenlaw's. At 100.00 per hour, a good restorer gets, do the math. I have been there and done that. When your car and Greenlaw is done and you guys do a judging show together, you're not going to have any more friends left because you guys will clean house!! 

I have not seen a 34 2 Dr sedan on eBay to compare. But I have been at auctions and the 33s and up do bring a good price. 32 and down don't fair as good except for the hi-end Mopar.

Let me echo Ian's comments. Let's put this issue to rest, Dave. I enjoyed meeting and talking to you at the Centennial meet. You have your business to run and I should have kept my big mouth shut.

I will say this about both you guys. I have been around the car business all my life with dad being with GM high-performance division in the 50s to 70 in Detroit.

I grew up starting to restore cars when I was 13. My dad and me with my paper route money would by a 50.00 car, blown motor and all and bring it back to life. Resale and made a profit. Then we would buy another car and do the same. I became a professional street racer and a semi car restorer. Me and my brother made a frame puller from a bay lift. For you people that don't know what a bay lift is, one pictured below. We started with body work. By the time a was 18 (1970), I had 5 years under my belt working on cars. Bought and sold about 50 cars. Went into the Navy in 1970, came home in 74, bought a house with a one car garage and did a frame on with a 63 Chev and took 1st place at the Detriot Auto Rama in 77.  Took 1st place and this was my 1st car show. You have to be invited to enter a car. Car pictured below. I sold that car in the show and bought a 62 Impala SS 409 car. That was my 1st frame off resto. Pictures below. Then I bought a one car trailer with a 1977 Ford LTD 11 to pull it. Started going south on the weekends to buy cars. Detriot cars rust fast. So I was buying and restoring cars until 93. Sold my Business and bought a car hauling company in New Jersey. I have hauled cars from kit cars to a multi-million car (Bugatti) for Tom Manahan the owned the Detroit Tigers and Dominoes Pizza. I have hauled cars for a lot of car restorers from all around the country. So I think I have way know what I'm talking about. If you two guys got together and open a resto shop, you would be top dog. You guys have heart and patients, those are the top ingredients in this industry. Only problem, its really hard to find people to pay because most of the time its a back shelf  hobby for the customer. 

PS

This is not my company,  I am helping the lady that lost her husband that pass away from an unexpected death. We're selling off the 30+ cars and parts to get it down to a manageable level and get back into hauling cars. That is where my passion is. Love the people that I meet and hear the car stories. Every car has a story.

Know I now why I got out of the car business. It is really a brutal business and you put a lot of time in labor, research, and marketing into the job itself.

post-121135-0-10644400-1432737376_thumb.

post-121135-0-20910600-1432737403_thumb.

post-121135-0-24033900-1432737822_thumb.

Thanks for the compliment Dave I'm getting a big head. but really I'm only doing the best I can with my limited resources.

I have had to dodge the pillow from the missus a few times though !!!!!!

A lot of Restores that is in the business couldn't even, (An old saying in the US) pop a pimple on a a--!! It's unreal that these professionals put out such shobby work. It would be a sin to drive your car, it belongs in a museum along with Taylors car when done.

Nicely said Dave, I know Mike would really appreciate what you are doing for Christianne,

because of you I would never had got the rear fenders,

Ian and Taylormade have a lot more patience the me, I put together runners, they put together Museum cars.

Keep up the good work.

Jesse

Info from (J.E. French Company) Serial Number Guide

DR-vin# start-3,680,001-end vin#-3,756,367-76,366 units

DRXX- vin# start-4,000,001-end vin#-4,015,004-15,003 units

DS-Canadian-vin# start-4,528,651-end vin#-4,530,400-1,749 units

Total units above---------------------------------------------------93,118 units

Canadian vin# below

Knock-Down-Jobs- vin # start-9,599,501-No end vin#

Built-up jobs-vin# start-9.550,961-no end vin#

Maybe somebody will have the models built info.

post-121135-0-45519700-1432834922_thumb.

Just looking at the pictures, I'm a little confused.

DRXX as far as I know didn't have split front side windows. ( maybe the two door was an exception due to the size ). The serial number makes this a DR but the little oval ID tag above the Budd Body tag looks like, at this could be my eyes, has DS at the end.

Dave, could you confirm as this is interesting to me as I enjoy figuring out what models etc these years are.

Let me echo Ian's comments. Let's put this issue to rest, Dave. I enjoyed meeting and talking to you at the Centennial meet. You have your business to run and I should have kept my big mouth shut.

No on the big mouth. :D  It was also nice meeting you and all the time and effort that you put into the show. We thank you for that and the memories for even when were long gone for people to enjoy. It will show up on here 50 years from now. :)

Just looking at the pictures, I'm a little confused.

DRXX as far as I know didn't have split front side windows. ( maybe the two door was an exception due to the size ). The serial number makes this a DR but the little oval ID tag above the Budd Body tag looks like, at this could be my eyes, has DS at the end.

Dave, could you confirm as this is interesting to me as I enjoy figuring out what models etc these years are.

It has TDS at the end. Wonder what the tag represents. DRXX Vin starts with a 4. Mine starts with 3-Made or assembled in Detriot.

post-121135-0-59631600-1432864031_thumb.

My books tell me that 3,133 of the DRXX 2 door model were built. 7,308 of the DR 2 door model were built.

Thanks, John:

What book was the info in? I couldn't find the numbers with all the books that we have. Would you also have the breakdown of the other models?

Thanks again

Dave

TDS means two door sedan. The books I have are "The Dodge Story" and "The Standard Catalog of Chrysler" and there are breakdowns of each model production.

It has TDS at the end. Wonder what the tag represents. DRXX Vin starts with a 4. Mine starts with 3-Made or assembled in Detriot.

TDS ==> Two Door Sedan, one of the suffixes used on the body number which has the general form of engineering code followed by a sequential body number ending with an alphabetic abbreviation of the body type.

TDS ==> Two Door Sedan, one of the suffixes used on the body number which has the general form of engineering code followed by a sequential body number ending with an alphabetic abbreviation of the body type.

They must have started this in 34. My 33 don't have these tags.

Maybe, maybe not. My '33 Plymouth two door sedan has a body number of the form PD12345TDS and all the '33 Plymouth business coupes I've seen have body tags of the form PD12345TPC (Two passenger coupe).

Both of my 1931 DB DH6 business coupes have the letters "BC" at the end of their body number standing for business coupe.

The days that the average guy could pick up an old classic for an affordable price are numbered. With the internet, telvision, greed, and auction houses, what used to be your goofy neighbors hobby, has turned into a multimillion dollar business, and the players are an upper class minority vying to see who wins, and who has the most.

Thank goodness for free enterprise, but has taken much of the hobby out of the hands of the average guy.

100-150K in restoration costs? I don't think that fits in with 99% of the enthusiasts on this site.

Ok, waa waa waa. Good luck with the sale.

So are the days of houses for 8000.00 in a good neighborhood, today-150.000.00

1962 fuelie Corvette @ 4,200.00 out the door- 2015 Corvette @ 85.000.00

1995, a new Tractor trailer 10 car hauler 125.000.00-today-300.000.00

Gas @ 0.12 per gall-today 3.40

Deisel @ 0.08 per gall-today 3.15

Gall of lacquer paint @ 3.50 today-600.00 plus

Earl Shieb paint job-29.95-today 299.95

Buying a car from a junkyard in the 70s-100.00-today 5000.00+

On and on and on

The average person can buy a car for a hobby today still, happens every day, More people want a 100 pointer resto these days. You still can buy a 36- to 60s cars in the 5000 to 10.000 range. See it every day on the Bay.

Your 100.000 + resto you talk about most of the time are the high-end cars that have a lot of specialized work done. A good restorer charges about 100.00 per hour and believe me, he's not getting rich. 

A good Attorney charges 250.00 plus hour if you want to do a comparison. 

YES- these days, a fast food employe not going to be able to get into the hobby.

YES-a lot of well educated working class people not going to be able to get into the hobby because they have 150.000+ student loans, a BMW, a 250.000 house, a 400.00 a month Cell phone and internet bill so you can come on here and whine about the high cost of cars when you can take that 2 hours Plus a day and be productive at a job that generates income to be able to afford this hobby. 

A lot different these days.