1934 Chrysler Convertible Sedan

Guest Ken Muston

Guest Ken Muston

Hi All,

This car has been held by my family in Australia for 31 years. During this time we have only been able locate a total of 7 of these cars, but, elligibly 450 were built, what happened to the rest.

Does anyone know of any other examples of this car, existing.

Ken

it is really obvious if you have lived long enough to have seen great cars be junked, crushed, abandoned, stripped for parts, hot rodded, woods bombed, go to landfills, burned, destroyed in movies, and left to sit and rot.how many other ways can they disappear? many. there are still a few of yours, just buried in a warehouse or garage to be found sometime in the future. typically 10% of a model survives, but that varies depending on the car. i have a 1954 chrysler windsor deluxe. only 500 were made and i have only seen 4 others. skyler

Is this Chrysler an Airflow or a conventionally styled Chrysler? Is there a chance you could post a pic of this rare bird?

Perry in Idaho

Is this Chrysler an Airflow or a conventionally styled Chrysler? Is there a chance you could post a pic of this rare bird?

Perry in Idaho

No such thing as an Airflow convertible unless it was customized.

Guest De Soto Frank

Chrysler division hedged their bets on the Airflow - they continued to offer a conventionally-styled Chrysler, calling it the Airstream.

Unlike De Soto, who had to suffer the 1934 season as an Airflow only...

Not hedging their bets at all. Walter Chrysler wanted something sensational to celebrate Chrysler's 10th anniversary. His designers came up with the Airflow, the most modern car in the world and one that sold for a premium over the conventional models. It was too avante garde and too expensive to appeal to a broad market but it did make a statement. It was not meant to replace the conventional car in 1934 although it did eventually.

By the time Airflow production ended 4 years later every car on the market was more or less a copy of the Airflow, with bulkier fenders. Compare the silhouette of any 1933 car (pre Airflow) and its 1938 (post Airflow) counterpart to the Airflow and you will see what I mean. The unconventional had become conventional as the public grew to prefer the Airflow look.

DeSoto was Chrysler's experimental make. Look at the barrel nosed 1932 or the Spanish influenced late 20s models or even the 1942 with disappearing headlights. DeSoto was meant to appeal to those who wanted something different and a little daring in style. The Airflow filled the bill. It was not meant to be a high volume bread and butter car, they had Plymouth and Dodge for that.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I would like to exchange views with you about the 1934 Chrysler Convertible Sedan in your family. My Dad bought a pre-owned one of these, in Switzerland, in September 1948. He kept it until 1956. I don't know what happened to it after that. Funnily enough, an identical model has turned up, in Switzerland, coming from Portugal where it is reported to have spent a few decades. The only numbers I have found on the latter car (on two aluminium tags on the firewall) are "Serial Number 6701050" and "Body Number 645-328, Briggs Mfg. Co., Detroit". Owing to the rarity of that model (450 units) I am keen to find out if that "Portuguese" CB6 convertible sedan might just by my Dad's old car! Is there any way to determine, from the two numbers shown, if the car was an export model and what were the original colors (body and upholstery)?

Hi All,

This car has been held by my family in Australia for 31 years. During this time we have only been able locate a total of 7 of these cars, but, elligibly 450 were built, what happened to the rest.

Ken

One thing you should know about Swiss cars in the 30s. Imported cars paid a large import duty or tax. Swiss made cars paid a small tax or no tax. If 40% or more of a car was made in Switzerland, it was considered Swiss made.

A car importer could bring in American chassis, have the bodies made in Switzerland, and sell them tax free. This meant, you could buy a custom body car for practically the same price as a standard, mass produced car.

The Swiss custom body makers seemed to specialize in convertibles and 4 door touring or convertible sedan styles. So there is a good chance your 1934 Chrysler was one of these.

If you have any pictures it would be easy to tell which it was. A Swiss "old timer" enthusiast might be able to tell you who made the body, as each body maker had his distinctive style.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

Ken

One thing you should know about Swiss cars in the 30s. Imported cars paid a large import duty or tax. Swiss made cars paid a small tax or no tax. If 40% or more of a car was made in Switzerland, it was considered Swiss made.

A car importer could bring in American chassis, have the bodies made in Switzerland, and sell them tax free. This meant, you could buy a custom body car for practically the same price as a standard, mass produced car.

The Swiss custom body makers seemed to specialize in convertibles and 4 door touring or convertible sedan styles. So there is a good chance your 1934 Chrysler was one of these.

If you have any pictures it would be easy to tell which it was. A Swiss "old timer" enthusiast might be able to tell you who made the body, as each body maker had his distinctive style.

[Delayed post]: I believe this is a regular, Chrysler-built CB6 convertible sedan, imported into Switzerland between 1934 and 1948 (Dad bought it in fall 1948). The B&W photos were taken in Divonne, France, soon after it was acquired from a local vendor. The color shot is from 2009; my older brother and I are convinced this is our Dad's old car, even though it came (back?) to Switzerland (from Portugal?) circa 1987 and has been somewhat modified. Its whereaboluts from 1956 to 1987 are unknown at this writing.  It would be a rare coincidence if such a rare model – 460 such convertibles out of over 300,000 Chryslers built in 1934 – could reappear, over 50 years later, and just 10 miles from its former “home” in  Switzerland, knowing that convertibles have the worst survival rate. "Dad's car" has been modified and restored  at least twice since 1956; most noticeably, all four crank-operated windows have been removed, as has also the old-style (British?), flip-up turn-signal indicators previously mounted on the windshield posts. She has lost also her original bullet-shaped and chrome-plated headlight pods; still, there is no mistaking her. She was silver gray when new. post-88822-0-74462400-1434472195_thumb.jpost-88822-0-08563100-1434472207_thumb.jpost-88822-0-08925200-1434472222_thumb.jpost-88822-0-32973300-1434472542_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Are you aware that there is a 1934 Chrysler 4-door convertible in Southern Nevada that has been made intoa resto-mod?  This car came from Switzerland over 15 years ago.

Guest AlCapone

Hi All,

Ken

Do you have a photograph of your family car? Wayne

This 1934 showed up at a car show breakfast today in Henderson, NV.  I had never seen one before.  Owner was very knowledgeable about these cars.  I have move photos if anyone is interested.

Walt

Are you aware that there is a 1934 Chrysler 4-door convertible in Southern Nevada that has been made intoa resto-mod?  This car came from Switzerland over 15 years ago.

We have sold parts for this car. He was building a high end 34 Chry mod car.  I believe his name is Lyn Goodfellow. He has the worlds fastest Duramax running 200 plus on the Salt. The car is called the Mormon Missle. The guy is in his mid 70s and is a really cool and knowledgeable guy.

post-121135-0-64754800-1443640568_thumb.

Guest walt460

"We have sold parts for this car. He was building a high end 34 Chry mod car.  I believe his name is Lyn Goodfellow. He has the worlds fastest Duramax running 200 plus on the Salt. The car is called the Mormon Missle. The guy is in his mid 70s and is a really cool and knowledgeable guy."

You are correct.  Lyn bought his CB6 in Detroit from the President of the W.P.Chrysler club about 16 years ago.  The serial # of his car is CB6 34  #6701046.

post-154905-0-32550300-1443819010_thumb.

post-154905-0-25837400-1443819021_thumb.

He lost a couple of fingers when the cockpit of their (Mormon Missle) caught fire. Broke a coolant hose at 200 plus and the antifreeze hit the turbo (1500 degrees)? He jumped right back in the cockpit shortly after the incident. We sold him the wheel covers on that car along with some other parts.

• 1 month later...

This 1934 showed up at a car show breakfast today in Henderson, NV.  I had never seen one before.  Owner was very knowledgeable about these cars.  I have move photos if anyone is interested.

Walt

Hi Walt. It has been a while since I began researching my Dad's old Chrysler CB6 convertible. Your message prompts me to pick up the thread again. 

Dad's car had "Serial Number 6701050" and "Body Number 645-328"; I'm guessing his was the 328th of the 450 units that were made. Would you have (or could you possibly get) the body number of the Nevada CB6?  I'm also interested in finding out more about the "Australian" CB6 owned by Ken Muston who also posted on this site. 

Hi Walt. It has been a while since I began researching my Dad's old Chrysler CB6 convertible. Your message prompts me to pick up the thread again. 

Dad's car had "Serial Number 6701050" and "Body Number 645-328"; I'm guessing his was the 328th of the 450 units that were made. Would you have (or could you possibly get) the body number of the Nevada CB6?  I'm also interested in finding out more about the "Australian" CB6 owned by Ken Muston who also posted on this site. 

These are images from a 1934 Chrysler product brochure depicting the CB6 convertible sedan. I found it on eBay a few years back.

post-88822-0-46051600-1447131069_thumb.j

post-88822-0-24880800-1447131084_thumb.j

post-88822-0-61006400-1447131106_thumb.j

Walt, can you tell me anything more about the 1934 Chrysler 4-door convertible in Southern Nevada that has been made into a resto-mod and that supposedly came from Switzerland over 15 years ago.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my Dad owned one of these 450 cars, in Switzerland, 
from 1948 to 1956. 

snapback.png

Are you aware that there is a 

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys, I'm writing from Italy.

Just yesterday I found a 1934 Chrysler CB sedan convertible in a garage close my town.

The owner is the nephew of the first owner.

He found the car just after the WW2 in the ex Yugoslavia. Probably abbandoned from some US official.

The car was in a barn, complete. Father and soon bought the car and keep untill today in a garage.

The plan was to restore the car, but now after 60 years the car is still there.

The guy ask me to investigate about the car and to know more and less which value can have a car like that.

Because his soons are not really interested in the car, so maybe he could think to sell it.

The car is partially disassembled, but complete of all parts.

Never sits in the rain.

Need totally restoration.

Some help?

Thanks in advance...

20170112_152758.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nafta said:

Hi Guys, I'm writing from Italy.

Just yesterday I found a 1934 Chrysler CB sedan convertible in a garage close my town.

The owner is the nephew of the first owner.

He found the car just after the WW2 in the ex Yugoslavia. Probably abbandoned from some US official.

The car was in a barn, complete. Father and soon bought the car and keep untill today in a garage.

The plan was to restore the car, but now after 60 years the car is still there.

The guy ask me to investigate about the car and to know more and less which value can have a car like that.

Because his soons are not really interested in the car, so maybe he could think to sell it.

The car is partially disassembled, but complete of all parts.

Never sits in the rain.

Need totally restoration.

Some help?

Thanks in advance...

20170112_152758.jpg

2.jpg

I have a customer here in Las Vegas NV USA that has one made into a street rods and ask me to keep an eye out for a stock one. I will get in contact. Can you send more pictures and info to,

dave@dodgecityvintave.com

Thanks

Dave

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys, I'm back on this topic after several months.

Finally I bought the car with all parts available and I put togheter just to see the effects. 

In my opinion it looks fabulous.

I'm collecting more info about the history...

The car was sold brand new in a car shop in Zagreb, ex Jugoslavia. 

I have the name of seller and the address of shop...crazy😊.

I have also a old number plate...maybe I will have more info about pre owners.

I need help about a quote of the car in that shape.

It is totally rust free, 99% complete and the engine turns.

Somebody can help me?

IMG-20190605-WA0023-1.jpg

IMG-20190605-WA0024.jpg

IMG-20190605-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20190605-WA0013.jpg

• Like 3