Storage

Guest Bradybee

Guest Bradybee

Being new to this arena I have a question y'all might think is dumb. But where does one go to find storage facilities for autos? Been totally unsuccessful so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

I agree with Keiser, but sometimes it isn't the "bingo" money; it can be in exchange for an occasional hand around the house, changing a lightbulb, carrying in the groceries, or just an opportunity to visit with a senior or a shut-in.

A bit of personal courtesy goes a long way.

I always seem to run into the "liability" question when I ask elderly neighbors about renting garage space. Even if I tell them my car is insured, they don't seem to want the responsibility.

The liability/insurance issue also applies to commerical Lock & Store business as well. In recent years, places like this have had to change their policies due to insurance policy concerns. Most Lock & Store places in my area will not rent space to people looking to store an old vehicle any longer due to their insurance coverage restrictions and costs.

I am lucky in that I have had a space in a Lock & Store place in my area for years now. My space has been "Grandfathered" so to speak to allow me to keep my vehicles there. When the current manager retires I am sure I will have to find somewhere else unless I take over running the place from him. Hmmmm......

One thing that does concern me storing my vehicles in a Lock & Store is the other tennants. Seeing what people store in the other units can be a cause of concern from a potential fire hazard point of view. Those items seem MUCH more dangerous to store than an old vehicle, even with a full tank of gas.

The best thing to do is network at local cruises and shows talking to people who have been doing it for years and know who has the best deals. Not sure of your location but it seems self storage units are popping up every 10-15 miles apart around here. They are everywhere. I know it sounds obvious but look in the yellow pages under "storage".

Also available in many areas is warehouse type storage but typically with those you have limited control who parks beside your car and the ability to move your car out to go for a spin during storage. Some offer a premium spots that are accessible to move the car but you pay more for those.

I was always very leary of storing my car in someone elses home. You have to be concerned about who has access, and insurance issues as already stated. If one has a car that isn't worth a lot of money say under $4000-5000 then the risk isn't so bad. If the house would burn and there was any evidence (real or perceived) it was caused by the car you could be sued. The problem is you may not know who holds the deed to the house. Could be a bank or a member of the family living somewhere else. I know the risk is low but it was never one I was willing to take.

There was a fire in a self storage unit here recently. Never heard the cause but it really didn't matter. I never thought those could burn (metal and concrete) but so many people have units stuffed full of furniture, cardboard boxes, clothes etc in the units that the whole thing burnt including some cars. Wherever you store, review the location with your insurance company to make sure you are covered no matter what.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

I store mine in the "Widow Schniders" house in my old neighborhood. I trim the shrubbery once every spring and snow blow the driveway every winter and I can sore my winter car in the summer and the Reatta in the winter...

She tells me she can't count on the kids.