20 000 old cars in Rhode Island, NY

Mika Jaakkola

Did you guys notice this?!

It was even in OUR local newspaper!!! :

http://www.mustangforums.com/forum/class...everything.html

<span style="font-style: italic">"Heres the pics I took.

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc114/bkl89/

This guy has collected HUNDREDS of acres of cars! NOBODY knows about this place. Its in the middle of nowhere in RI. The owner is working on CRUSHING all these vintage cars! He has been instructed by the state to get rid of all the cars. It will take years to crush all these cars and the owner is 70 years old. I have no idea what will become of the largest junkyard I have ever seen. Nobody knows of this place. Thousands of these classics will go to waste. Here is mostly mustang pictures I took . There us Hundreds of 64-71 Mutangs. Boss, mach 1, many many convertibles, K codes, fastbacks.. Maybe shelbys? The owner is crazy. He's always drunk is very hard to deal with. He's in another world. He said he personally DROVE nearly all the cars in a field in the 60's-70 and left them there for dead. Many are rusted beyond repair. But there still many parts cars. It will take about two weeks of walking 5 hours a day to see all the cars here. Plus many of them are so buried in overgrown trees and prickers there is no way to see them. I seen a dozen complete 392 hemi cars. This guy refuses to advertise, so nobody knows about it. Believe it or not the guy is still buying cars and driving them in the woods. The last time i was there the owner bought a running 60's mustang and drove it in the woods to be left for dead.

Some people may see these pictures and see this and think this mess is illegal, well it may be, but the state is aware of it and they have ordered him to clean it up. He is cleaning it, just very slowly. He is 70 years old and when he dies or goes fully blind (he is almost blind) The junkyard will be taken over by the state and over 20,000 classic cars will be destroyed. I do not have the owners phone number. He will sell parts or cars, but is hard to deal with and if you go there he will usually walk you to the car you need parts for if he's not too drunk. He will not let you wander around the yard by yourself to look at whatever you want.

I know I will get endless emails about this so I will give you all the info I have right here.

If you want to see this massive junkyard from a map view I found it on google maps. You can see the cars scattered in the woods.

According to google maps location is called "brant trail". Scroll over from that location and follow the trail of junk in the woods.

Heres a direct link.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=16&iwloc=addr

If you want to see the yard the address is:

60 weaver hill road

West Greenwich, RI

According to google maps location is called "brant trail""</span>

Thanks Mika, but not worth it. I have tired of dealing with oddball salvage yard owners. I hope they crush them all and put him in a old folks home, take away his alcohol.

Also remember this is recount by a person. It's probably correct, but we have no way to verify.

People can do what they want with their cars. I have one question: How woul dhe have been able to add cars all these years? On what income? How about the taxes? Last time I heard, land in New England was valuable and hard to purchase.

20,000 cars would mean he purchased and moved 1 car a day for his entire adult life. Not only is there the time involved, but the money. Had he purchased 20,000 at evenly only $500 each that is $15,000 a month - a total of $10,000,000. (10 Million)

Certainly an interesting pile of junk though.

Peter

The pictures remind me of a junkyard that used to sit near the Toledo, OH airport. The owner allowed several dozen pigs to roam the yard...and in and out of most of the 6-800 cars in the place. On a hot summer day, it was all you could do to stand the smell. Still, he had some interesting stuff, several Kaisers, quite a few Packards, Studebakers and Hudsons, as well as alot of the big 3. Of course, the owner was quite an eccentric and thought everything he had was restorable and worth a fortune. I'm sure that was true...about 30 years ago. Needless to say, not much left the place, until he sold out and everything was crushed. Not sure what happened to all of the pigs...

Guest Skyking

Mika, as far as I know he does sell stuff, but you have to be on his good side. I never bought from him, but a friend of mine has. My friend says most all of his cars are too far gone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mika, as far as I know he does sell stuff, but you have to be on his good side. I never bought from him, but a friend of mine has. My friend says most all of his cars are too far gone.</div></div>

hmm... how much he might want from that 57 Imperials 392 V8 ..??

Guest SwiftBuicks

Interesting find. Most of the comments I find rather stupid. I wonder if the state will pay for cleaning up the yard. Othe than that, the photos look like a lot of work to me.

Well, 35-40 years ago there were literally dozens of yards in the Maryland-Southern Pennsylvania and a few in the Virginia area just like the one described. About 25% of the owners were like "Junior" if that's his name. Two or three friends and myself would go out foraging almost every Saturday. It was more fun than car shows. Some had barns full of old car parts I bought to run my flea market operation at the time. Some might still exist today were it not for State meddling, putting taxes on cars over 7 years old, especially in Maryland. Many parts from these old yards ended up on the cars I own now, or used to own. One, in York, PA belonged to a great old guy named Hap Gimmell who was an AACA member. It was on a mountainside, and in the hollow on the other side of the road. In the late 60s and into the mid-70s I went there many times. A friend even bought a 37 Studebaker coupe off that mountain. In the mid-1990s I bought a 40 Pontiac to restore. I remembered many Pontiacs on the mountain and drove up there. The junkyard was still there, as was Hap. All of those Pontiacs were still on the mountainside. One, I remember, was just a body on its side. A windshield was out, and I crawled through to find the radio still there. I got it, and this is the God's truth, when I installed it in my car it worked. Two other fabulous odd old junkyards were in Red Lion, PA. We found them wherever they were, but alas, they're all gone now. There was another guy, who was just like this "Junior". Drinking most of the time, big old dogs growling on chains, hard to get into the yard, and most of the stuff rotting away. The best way to get in was take a 5th of licquor with you, then it was hard to buy. Poor guy, he never realized the income he had, but when he died there was a big auction, and various flea market dealers hauled that stuff away and the old car hobby finally got what was left of it. Now, that said, I can't hardly agree that it would be a good thing for all of "Junior's" cars to be crushed and go to dust. If that place exists, it's still a gold mine. Ah, those were truly the "Good Old Days"

Yep.....we have some of those guys here in Oregon. "I'm gonna restore that HEMI car one day. And that 'ole '32 Ford convert will be my coffin when I go. And in that there woody Chrysler is where my old dog, Blue will be buried."

How many times have we wished to be "adopted" by these geezers to end up with their stuff? Oh yeah....that torn apart '31 Dodge coupe in my garage.....I'm gonna restore it some day....

Hello All,

First time here (posting anyway) My best friend was at this yard last year. I just called him up to review the photos to confirm if this was the place he spoke about and it was. Pretty much everything was in real bad shape. He warned that the trail going in was loaded with debris so have a few extra tires on hand.

I had just read of a yard in OCW that is closing two weeks ago. We have been going to that one for 20 years and it was run by some of the oddest(nice but odd)people I have ever met. The last time I was there was about 10 years ago everything was in pretty bad shape then, time and the weather had taken it's toll.

John

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SwiftBuicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I wonder if the state will pay for cleaning up the yard. </div></div>

The state of Rhode Island is broke!

We had such a yard in Chicopee Ma. up to about two years ago. He was saveing the cars for his retirement but the weather got them first. I viewed the cars as it was very near to me and I had a place for a few of them, and could have bought them for a song, but there was nothing good enough to restore.

He had them packed so close to each other that people walked on the hoods and roofs to get around. Nothing left now.

This junkyard has been there forever. I used to go to his other junkyard in West Greenwich for parts in the 70's. Junior was always a little eccentric, but never knew him to be a drunk. He had a severe eye injury years back from a jack while alone at that junk yard. As I said, it's been years, but I know a lot of people who used to go to him to buy parts.

Maybe this guy who started the thread wasn't talking about the "Junior" you know at all. I got the impression that he had no idea where he was or who he actually talked to. It may well have been a hermit that most of the collectors up ther in RI don't know. Years ago I visited a plce in RI called Bill's Auto Parts. It was one of the most fabulous junkyards I ever visited....buildings full of NOS parts, and genuine classic cars in the junkyard like Cadillac V-12, Piere Arrow, Packard, convertible sedans and all. I have heard it has long since been sold and crushed.

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dynaflash8</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Years ago I visited a plce in RI called Bill's Auto Parts. It was one of the most fabulous junkyards I ever visited....buildings full of NOS parts, and genuine classic cars in the junkyard like Cadillac V-12, Piere Arrow, Packard, convertible sedans and all. I have heard it has long since been sold and crushed. </div></div>

Bill's was a great junk yard to visit. Those guys couldn't do enough for you. I spent many hours just roaming around there looking at the unique cars parked. I only dream about going back there to buy the Skylarks and Fiestas and Buick woodies.

Guest Xprefix28truck

Has anyone ever been to the yard at the intersection of st rd 36 an st rd 1 at Modoc Indiana? Rows and rows of 40's cars. A great deal of newer ones have been added in recent years.

Guest Xprefix28truck

Dennis, The yard doesn't have a name per say... It is owned by a man with the last name of Shore. He owns a small gas station across the road. I have never known anyone to buy anything from the old cars, but I have personally bought things from the newer stuff. He is a very nice guy so give him a call at (765) 853-5381. That is the number to the station across the road. I always just stop by and know who I need to talk to , but as far as a first name I can't tell you.

My wifes(who just returned from Indiana today!)family lives south of Ft Wayne and I go car hunting for days when I'm there. I just happen to have a lot of pictures (i'll have to scan this weekend and post)of the Modoc yard. There was a ton of Mopars there last time...I've got dibs on the yellow 59 NY'er with wing tips on the front..Did'nt have a jack big enough and the ground was mushy,but managed to get a rocker panel trim. Most trim has been stripped from the cars. Big yard though

There is another one in Coldwater, OH right over the border that a very nice yard not really big but a lot of stuff you can't find here in Calif. I know where quite a few yards are around the Montpilier IN area...to find the yards like you guys have in the east is pure heaven to me. Very few yards out here anymore. Nice yard in Williams CA. Big M. Owner is john fowlie. Heck of a nice guy. Lots of Mercury, Ford and 50's Mopar.

Guest Xprefix28truck

Brian, If you ever get out this way and need help with a jack or tools, give me a call. I can PM you my number. I live in New Castle. Very close to Modoc. That way you might be able to get a few more things you need. I love to go to yards, so wouldn't mind helping out.

Kent, that would be great. Looking to be out there either spring or summer. Mom in law not in good shape right now so it may be much sooner. Any chance you've heard of the "fence line" down your way? I was down the in New Castle and some guy at a service staion told me about a row of cars and pointed me in a very general direction but I never did find it.

• 5 months later...