1958 hardtop wagon question

Pete Phillips

Reassembling the '58 Special 4-dr. hardtop station wagon after six months of rust repair & painting--hauled it back home yesterday. Is there a long, curved, piece of trim that goes above the rear door's window and below the rain gutter (see center of attached photo)? I cannot find the trim, but there has to be something to go here to cover up the welded seam on the roof rail. I have the piece that screws into the roof rail to hold the roof rail weatherstrip, but this would go above that (?)

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

post-32059-143142927117_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142927128_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142927137_thumb.jpg

Guest 4 bufords
Reassembling the '58 Special 4-dr. hardtop station wagon after six months of rust repair & painting--hauled it back home yesterday. Is there a long, curved, piece of trim that goes above the rear door's window and below the rain gutter (see center of attached photo)? I cannot find the trim, but there has to be something to go here to cover up the welded seam on the roof rail. I have the piece that screws into the roof rail to hold the roof rail weatherstrip, but this would go above that (?)

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

pete,that wagon is a beautiful work of art,amazing colors. can,t wait to see more pics when car is finished,4 bufords from ct

Thanks to all for the photos and compliments. The paint is a 1958 color, blue mist iridescent. Looks like a metallic slate blue, with white roof. I just now went by the paint & body shop, and they still had the roof rail stainless moldings! This is after I spent many hours searching for them--oh well, at least we found them! With its rechromed rooftop luggage rack, and two tone paint, I think the car is going to be a real beauty. But it is many months away from that. Anybody have a good center hood molding? This one is pitted beyond repair--runs down the center of the hood from front to back--"V"-shaped profile, so it holds the moisture.

Pete Phillips

BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Pete:

Just a suggestion; Spectra Chrome process that was used on the headliner bows would restore the appearance of the center hood molding until such a time that you might track down an acceptable original. The process is a spray on process. You might go to Jay Leno's site and see the video of that. Or, see: http://www.sprayonchrome.com/index2.html

Dan, BCA #18632

Edited by Caballero2 (see edit history)

Thanks for that link, Dan. I remember going to their website several years ago. If it works as good as they claim, it can have many additional uses (including the reflectors inside of tail light housings).

The color combination DOES look great! I think the orig color on my '68 5467 is something similar to that?

Glad you found those moldings!!!

More pictures as things progress?

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• 2 weeks later...